BR or software

R

rbrad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This may be a stupid question:
I'm thinking about getting into playing for real money and don't know whether it's more important to buy some software (like Pokertracker or Hold'em manager) or add the money to my BR until I can afford it later. I basically want to get started for $100 to $150. Ideas?

Thanks for the help.

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have found that poker-tracker has helped me make better decisions at the table and therefore means more money in my pocket in the longterm. It is probably a wise investment

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends what stakes you want to play, honestly software probably isnt neccesary if your playing .01/.02/1$sngs where its a completely different game down there and also, make sure the site your playing at enables software, as some sites do not allow it

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

Bubble Punter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Try getting the trial version of the software you are interested. I am currently on my 60 day free trial of Poker Tracker 3 and I absolutely love it. (yes, I will buy it when my trial is nearing it's end) This way you can see if it is benefitial to your game without the upfront investment.
BTW, PT3 and Holdem Manager are both allowed by all major rooms and networks.

E

edgie212

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both options offer low-stakes versions of the program...I would start there and upgrade later. I think PT3's is $55, and I think keeping track of how you play is pretty invaluable!

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are even asking this question, you shouldn't be buying software yet. Sounds like you need to figure out if online poker is going to be for you. Starting with $150, you won't be rolled for much anyway. So I'd hold off, figure if it's something you'll want to take more seriously. Then if you decide it is, save some money outside of your bankroll and invest in software. Starting out in the micros (which is what you are doing with $150) Spending $60 to $100 or whatever, for software is a huge hit to your roll.

CistaCista

CistaCista

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea don't worry about software. You don't need to think much about the opposition when you are playing 2NL or 5NL. Just keep the most wildly agressive players on your right, you can mark them easily with the ingame system on Stars or FTP.

I plan to buy PT3 when I have won 1,000 USD.

J

JMcCabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a lot of ways you can get software like PT3 or HEM for free, by completing deals at online poker sites (not poker rooms).

I'd go with TheKAAHK's suggestion and get a trial of PT3 for 60 days, then HEM, see which one you like better, than do a google search for PokerTracker 3 free deals or Hold'em Manager free deals and see what you can find.

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're gonna be playing cash games primarily then id say definately, if you're gonna be mostly playing low limit SNG's or MTT's then not as essential maybe, but definately get ure 60 day free trial on pokertracker! im gonna buy it as soon as my trial expires! good luck

serendipity

serendipity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a lot of ways you can get software like PT3 or HEM for free, by completing deals at online poker sites (not poker rooms).

I'd go with TheKAAHK's suggestion and get a trial of PT3 for 60 days, then HEM, see which one you like better, than do a google search for PokerTracker 3 free deals or Hold'em Manager free deals and see what you can find.

You can get it for free at some poker rooms too, but be wary. For example, I was going to get PT3 from party poker by spending my points. However, after reading the fine print, I found that the version available only worked at Party Gaming sites. This would have been a disaster, as I play on several different networks and need my HUD for all of them. Here is the fine print from the Party Poker points store:

PokerTracker 3 for sites powered by the PartyGaming Network
Once you have successfully purchased your PokerTracker 3 software (please note this version of PokerTracker 3 is for exclusive use for sites that are partnered with the PartyGaming Network) from the store, you will receive a link on the purchase confirmation page. Click on the link to download the software directly. You can always download PokerTracker 3 by using the link provided in the email sent by PokerTracker.

Please note that by redeeming your points against the PokerTracker 3 product ('PokerTracker Software'), you:
I would read the fine print for any deal you accept to ensure you are getting the same version of the HUD you get when you purchase it.

J

JMcCabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed. That's why I said "(not poker rooms)". :)

isohatedis

isohatedis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This may be a stupid question:
I'm thinking about getting into playing for real money and don't know whether it's more important to buy some software (like Pokertracker or Hold'em manager) or add the money to my BR until I can afford it later. I basically want to get started for $100 to $150. Ideas?

Thanks for the help.

my suggestion to you is you should go to the hold em manager site(or poker tracker) and download a poker room through that site and you will get hold em manager free for completing an offer(which would be fairly easily achieved with your starting BR).its the best of both worlds i think anyway.

Last edited:
TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, do not do a free offer for tracking software, unless you can get it from a site that doesn't offer rake back.

RACK BACK > free tracking software

Pyrodc

Pyrodc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trial versions of HEM and PT3, then you can decide.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you are even asking this question, you shouldn't be buying software yet. Sounds like you need to figure out if online poker is going to be for you. Starting with $150, you won't be rolled for much anyway. So I'd hold off, figure if it's something you'll want to take more seriously. Then if you decide it is, save some money outside of your bankroll and invest in software. Starting out in the micros (which is what you are doing with $150) Spending $60 to $100 or whatever, for software is a huge hit to your roll.

this ^

also, imo you can play a ton of games prior to getting tracking software (if you're playing SNG or MTT). I would use the extra $'s for my bankroll "OR" invest in a few mos. of a poker training site, a couple of books (or a library card) first.

isohatedis

isohatedis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, do not do a free offer for tracking software, unless you can get it from a site that doesn't offer rake back.

RACK BACK > free tracking software

could you explain that to me please?(i just dont understand what you said properly but am very interested)

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
could you explain that to me please?(i just dont understand what you said properly but am very interested)

Tracking software = $90 or less

Rake Back = 27% of the rake you generate while playing.

27% is an average %, some sites offer more, some less. Rake Back is usually paid weekly for the amount of rake you paid in the previous week. You will earn rake back forever, it's not a limited time promotion.

A 10nl player playing 1k hands a day (less than two hours a day if you play ten tables at the same time) will earn about $20 (two buyins) a week in rake back. In five weeks you would earn $100 just in rake back. Which is more than tracking software costs.

Therefore;

Rake Back > free tracking software

Unless you find someplace that offers both. All the deals for free tracking software I've ever seen require you to use their promotion code when setting up an account. So you couldn't use a promotion code for rake back.

If you are asking me what rake back is, search CC for rake back, there are a ton of threads about it and how to get it.

Last edited:
tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Get the free 30 day trial of either HEM or PT3 and see how you find it. IF you see poker as a long term hobby then i have no problem with anyone buying tracking software, its probably going to be the only major thing you will every buy. I agree with TPC though, don't get it free through an affiliate you will only end up paying more for it long term.

J

JMcCabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with TPC though, don't get it free through an affiliate you will only end up paying more for it long term.

Disagree with this.

Get it through an affiliate on a network that has dozens of skins (iPoker, Merge, Cake, etc) to get your PT3 or HEM for free.

Once you get it, switch to another skin on the network where you can open a rakeback account.

That's the beauty of networks. There are no limitations on playing on multiple skins, so long as you only have one room logged in at a time (obviously).