Bluffing: Is It Just Me Or Am I Unlucky?

ebellari

ebellari

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing is also an art, you cant just fluf anytime and vs anyone, you have to study the players, and see the situation , but try not to bluf a lot you will get busted

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like the table has a good read on you, but you don't have that on the other players. In this case, you will hardly ever win, even variance (luck) does not help you.
To bluff you need at least to:
- know your opponents
- know what your opponents think of you
- wait for the right moment
As this is too difficult for me (yet), I stick to the beginners rule:
- don't bluff
- when my stack deminishes without the bubble in sight: go all-in with any top 10 hand

John Penniston

John Penniston

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing heavily depends on how well u represent a strong hand, u need to consider bet sizes when u r trying to bluff. Going all in don't get u the pot most times, u need to keep betting sizeable in certain situations.( Like for instance, betting an amount that says u r just trying to get paid, since already have the nuts).

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is hard to bluff people at the micros as they often times call you with mediocre hands and draws. it is better to semi bluff with some type of medium holdings if you get a read on your opponent. always bluff based on reads on your opponents. if he pays attention to details or if you got a read on the hand he's holding you can use scare cards on the board to bluff them

K

Klito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to think a lot of your opponents ranges and when you make a bluff you have to be sure that you tell a truthful storuly so that your opponents fold

T

Temirgali

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, the type of player, position, opponent's stack and the kind of poker is of great importance.

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing is like an art, you have to be an artist to be good at it,Great artists are born with their skills but these skills can also be learned and perfected through practice and experience.
Same with bluffing, there are players who are really good and skilled at doing it at the right time, but we can also be good at it by studying and learning through experience. Just my two cents...

Milosika1991

Milosika1991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to successfully bluff a player, the most important thing is that you have the feeling that someone else has no the strongest cards at that moment, so you have to feel which cards are opponent holding at that moment... thats my oppinion :cool:

C

Cazador twd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to make a good bluff you have to do really believe your opponent to take the best hand is not simply bet and expect to have to pull represent a credible hand if not any means villain focused on the table will make call

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are trying to tell a story when you bluff. The story you tell has to be consistent.

You have to be mindful of how you have acted on each street. You should bluff only when opponent is decent... i.e. pays attention.

freddy66

freddy66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lots to learn

ive tried to bluff from time to time....you have to learn where and when first

N

nashty22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffs are all about timing, the bet has to make sense.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're not alone brother- I found bluffing rarely pays off.. in fact I'm about to play two tournaments right now and am going to set a rule- NO BLUFFING - see how it goes.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yeah, the story that you are telling should be believable, but you have to pick the right opponents as well. Opponents that are not only able to see a fold button, but also are able to click it. If all you are playing are freerolls, I can see why you feel like you can't bluff.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK - there seems to be a pattern in the answers here.....

Lemme give you a "for instance"......the table folds around to you on the button and you limp, SB calls, BB checks. Flop is AQ7. Both blinds check and you decide to bet pretending to have an ace but really your 54 suited is just air. The SB calls because he doesn't believe you would limp the button with an Ace and he has QT offsuit.

Or even worse, you check the flop and then bet the turn (some blank that doesn't change the texture of the board). Yes, it can be a delayed Ace betting trying to get action out of your opponents. But does the story make sense to your opponent(s)?

In their minds they should be thinking you either limped on the button preflop with a monster hand trying to trap or get raised. OR.....you are just bluffing.

If I decide my opponent is bluffing then I would let them continue to do so. And ta-dah......your bluff is up against a better hand or even the nuts.

Bluffing can be simple or complicated...but this is the essence of the thought process.

Good luck !

Last edited:
Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are trying to tell a story when you bluff. The story you tell has to be consistent.

That is true BUT, your telling a story in every hand, also when you try trap them with nuts,
and when you have a mediocre hand, and so on,

More important is to also to listen to the other players story.
Dont ignore signs of a monster.

To become a good bluffer you gotta be good at knowing your enemies hands.
To do that, guess the players holecards, also when your not in the pot.
Look whats unfolding in front of you, and try guess hands all the time, and you will
find yourself getting better at it over time ;)

Then its time to make good bluffs :D

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There should be a lot of conditions for a proper bluff, usually a bluff passes against one opponent and it’s better to be tight, do not bluff against a fish that never folds anything.