Is bluffing a skill?

Y

Yunyi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely. I think you can't do random bluff successfully in the long run. In my opinion, you have to know when exactly you can bluff and how.

But I would say it's not a talent - it's skill.

good point. here comes a question: what's the difference between skill and talent? skill can be learned but talent can't?

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bluff is not a talent. It's just skill of understanding a game. And if you want to understand the game then you have to learn a lot.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
Bluff is a skill, talent, guts, all put together.
You have to know when to do it.
You cant do it all the time.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I do not think that making a bulff is cheating I think it is a valuable and necessary tool when we play poker but you need to have a knowledge and good reading of opponents when trying to do it

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its an acquired skill based on awareness. One of the better times to bluff is when you see a player making a large protection bet and the outcome of the cards is what the player was making the protection bet against, this is a good opportunity to bluff.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
In my opinion
A bluff is something that is proved a bluff on the showdown.
Cannot be preflop.
Has to be 2 cards that dont make a game nor a chance.
If there is a str8 or flush draw with your cards that cant be a bluff.

Thanks
Manoj
Bluffzone68
in a 10 player SnG, 1st hand, 5 players go all-in... is someone bluffing?

are these pre-flop all-ins even technically bluffs, or does all the bluffing take place post-flop?

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluff is the ability to lull the opponent, but not cheating, when you cheat, you open and you often lose)

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't even know why some of you think bluffing is a cheating. It's part of a game. You hit something 1/3 of the time. So if you would give up every time when you don't hit anything then you would lose 2/3 of the time. Next problem is if you would bet only when you hit something then you wouldn't earn anything because people would easily notice that you bet only when you have something. So you have to bluff beause they will never pay you off. Problem is that people don't know when to bluff and what to bluff. And like I mentioned before that's a huge work. Because it's all about perceived range, positions, board structures, who is your villain, history, some kind of gto approach if you play on higher stakes, choosing good combinations to bluff because you can't have too many combinations in your bluff range compared to value range etc etc. It's not about talent. It's about hard work and understanding the game.

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I really want to win I start playing carefully.And this is my big mistake.The bluff master sees this and takes away my possible winnings.It is difficult to solve a bluff.The bluff can be played on the pre-flop flop and on.The size of the bet depends on it....But bluffing is interesting.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is a very great skill, few people manage to achieve perfection, and I do not get to bluff.

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing is a skill and a talent. It takes skill to know when to bluff, and talent to sell it.
It ( bluffing ) , is a tool that all players have in their game, so it is not cheating. Those who learn to use this tool effectively, profit.
As the saying goes,"All good things in moderation".

T

trendi23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, bluff is an important skill of the game, which often depends on reading the opponent's cards by his actions,emotions, and in online poker in my opinion it is stupid to use it if you have a small stack

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
You cannot win if you don't bluff. The skill is knowing when to make that move. Bluff too much people will call you.
If you are too tight and don't bluff, you will become the target of bluffs.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is also a key with the bluffing... Are they good at bluffing, or are you just easily bluffed out?

And what do you mean by "cheating" ? That making a bluff is cheating??

Well no.. Poker isn't only about hitting your cards it's also about getting opponents
to fold their best hand, If the pro's only went by playing with premium strong hands on the boards they wouldn't be pro's i believe,

Just take a look at Daniel Negreanu he bluffes sometimes that's his skill
Just when he reads someone having the nuts that's also a skill of his that got him to be a pro, And ofcourse when he catches people bluffing him sometimes he makes a good call.

That's my opinion

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The bluff is a very important part of poker. This is an important skill many don't have. You say bluff cheating, which is not true. It would be a bluff, if you saw the opponent's cards with some external help.

Y

Yunyi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mentioned "cheat" in original post for stirring some discussion. I don't really think bluff is cheating. I agree it's a part of poker playing. but too often might not be good idea, i suppose.

Last edited:
R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The real talent I feel is when to call the bluff. I tend not to bluff usually, I will bet when no one else looks like they hit the flop and no bets are being made. Not too often though, and not with all of my chips.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd say there is some skill to it. I don't bluff often but when I do I get away with it most of the time. You have to know when to pick your spots. It has to be believable and most of all the other guy can't be holding the nuts.
PS - It's best not to bluff with all of your chips.

evildoesit2003

evildoesit2003

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its not what you have its what they think you have!

AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that, skills and most importantly to know how to read players and they are ready to pay and what not.:jd4::rolleyes:

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

Yes, bluffing and when to do it is a learned skill.

cleder7

cleder7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Bluff is a tool that you can use to gain advantage in some situations. But you have to have some skills to do it, otherwise you will lose a lot. So I guess you need to study hard enough before you go the risk anyway and go bluffing.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For sure knowing when to bluff and how much to bluff is a skill.

If every hand went to showdown then poker would be pure luck.

This is why the bad players win by getting lucky and good players get screwed by luck.

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing

Bluffing is definitely a skill. You can put yourself in situations where it is profitable in the long run to bluff. But you have to study how to do this. Things like opponent playing styles as well as opponents' perception of your range are influential in bluffing.