• Start date
kara260588

kara260588

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You started an interesting topic. And well described. I have not read everything in this thread yet. But I can say one thing. I will keep track of new posts in this thread

BigGrayWolf

BigGrayWolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I’ve finally come to the end of my decades of notes on bluffing. Please, please, please tell me what I got wrong. If there are things that don’t work in places other than freerolls, if there are tips that could be better handled a different way, or if there are tips that are just flat out wrong, I want to hear about it. Please remember that I did not write these as a master bluffer, I wrote these as a person trying to learn how to bluff and taking notes on every little thing he discovered. A lot of which may have been false positives. So if there is anything wrong with my tips, please tell me and the rest of the community know. Thanks for reading and hopefully you learned a thing or two.
It's about bluffing on cash tables or tournaments? I think there is a difference. But in any case if you play monotonously then the players in a short time will open your game. In my opinion, it is not necessary to bluff always or too often, it is necessary to provide many factors. It is necessary to prepare the situation for a bluff for earlier. This is my point of view, if you do not agree then let's discuss this:)

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's about bluffing on cash tables or tournaments? I think there is a difference. But in any case if you play monotonously then the players in a short time will open your game. In my opinion, it is not necessary to bluff always or too often, it is necessary to provide many factors. It is necessary to prepare the situation for a bluff for earlier. This is my point of view, if you do not agree then let's discuss this:)

Most of my bluffing experience is in Tournament play. A warning about cash bluffing is that cash players look more at what they could win and will call more often than tournament players who are worried about their tournament life.
And yes, you are correct, bluffing should actually be done sparingly as once you are caught people will know to target your bluffs from then on.

BigGrayWolf

BigGrayWolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of my bluffing experience is in Tournament play. A warning about cash bluffing is that cash players look more at what they could win and will call more often than tournament players who are worried about their tournament life.
And yes, you are correct, bluffing should actually be done sparingly as once you are caught people will know to target your bluffs from then on.
I play a small number of tournaments, they last a very long time. Help me please unravel one situation. Cache 6 max table, without statistics, without any programs. The hero on the MP with 88 makes open raises, TAG on BTN calls. Flop 10 7 K, Hero puts C-bet 1/2, BTN call, turn 9, board 10 7 K 9 .... how would you proceed?

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a small number of tournaments, they last a very long time. Help me please unravel one situation. Cache 6 max table, without statistics, without any programs. The hero on the MP with 88 makes open raises, TAG on BTN calls. Flop 10 7 K, Hero puts C-bet 1/2, BTN call, turn 9, board 10 7 K 9 .... how would you proceed?

SUMMARY: Rebet what you did on the flop for your turn bet and then pot bet the river.

Assuming this is a "Must Bluff" scenario & the TAG BTN is good enough to be eligible for a bluff, I would say the pre-flop raise tells the TAG BTN you have a decent hand and, if they are truly a TAG, they have marginal holdings at best because they did not re-raise your pre-flop bet with button position on you.
So, the flop comes 10 7 K with the hero having 88 and throwing out a c-bet of 1/2 the pot. At this point you need to know you are representing a pair of K's. The TAG might be scared of the possible K's because they only call. I say that because if they are Aggressive they would be raising with a decent hand.
Then the board comes 10 7 K 9, here's where it gets interesting. If you're trying to bluff, you need to stick to your story. Your story is that you have a pair of Ks. If you switch your story to saying you are on a straight draw, the BTN is going to get suspicious. So what you want to do is continue betting as though you had the pair of Ks, but also that you are scared of a possible straight. So, repeat the flop bet without increasing it. This sends the story you want to tell, "I have a good hand, but got scared a little by a possible straight."
If they bet big there, you can fold without losing all that many chips. One thing about bluffing is you want to be able to back out of it if someone puts on the pressure. Of course, you may want to go after you're straight draw, but you're not playing the bluff at that point, but it is an option.
If they just call the turn, then when the river comes (assuming it's something harmless) you would finish off the bluff strong, say a pot-sized bet. It tells the BTN that you had your Ks and aren't scared of what's on the board anymore.
Alternatively, if a scare card does hit the board then you can still bet the Ks by rebetting the same as you did on the flop and turn. This once again tells the TAG BTN that you have a good hand, just that you're also scared of what may be on the board. If they are TAG and have a marginal hand, they should respect that and fold away many hands.

Again, this is assuming a bluff is mandatory this hand.

BigGrayWolf

BigGrayWolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SUMMARY: Rebet what you did on the flop for your turn bet and then pot bet the river.

Assuming this is a "Must Bluff" scenario & the TAG BTN is good enough to be eligible for a bluff, I would say the pre-flop raise tells the TAG BTN you have a decent hand and, if they are truly a TAG, they have marginal holdings at best because they did not re-raise your pre-flop bet with button position on you.
So, the flop comes 10 7 K with the hero having 88 and throwing out a c-bet of 1/2 the pot. At this point you need to know you are representing a pair of K's. The TAG might be scared of the possible K's because they only call. I say that because if they are Aggressive they would be raising with a decent hand.
Then the board comes 10 7 K 9, here's where it gets interesting. If you're trying to bluff, you need to stick to your story. Your story is that you have a pair of Ks. If you switch your story to saying you are on a straight draw, the BTN is going to get suspicious. So what you want to do is continue betting as though you had the pair of Ks, but also that you are scared of a possible straight. So, repeat the flop bet without increasing it. This sends the story you want to tell, "I have a good hand, but got scared a little by a possible straight."
If they bet big there, you can fold without losing all that many chips. One thing about bluffing is you want to be able to back out of it if someone puts on the pressure. Of course, you may want to go after you're straight draw, but you're not playing the bluff at that point, but it is an option.
If they just call the turn, then when the river comes (assuming it's something harmless) you would finish off the bluff strong, say a pot-sized bet. It tells the BTN that you had your Ks and aren't scared of what's on the board anymore.
Alternatively, if a scare card does hit the board then you can still bet the Ks by rebetting the same as you did on the flop and turn. This once again tells the TAG BTN that you have a good hand, just that you're also scared of what may be on the board. If they are TAG and have a marginal hand, they should respect that and fold away many hands.

Again, this is assuming a bluff is mandatory this hand.

It's reasonable, but after all, TAG from BTN could easily call with a hand like AJo, 88 +, JJ and maybe A10s in cache games 6 max. Do not you think that the rate of 1/2 can be considered as a weakness? And what betsize would you use in each street?I want to tell TAG would not have made a call with a weak hand)

Last edited:
This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's reasonable, but after all, TAG from BTN could easily call with a hand like AJo, 88 +, JJ and maybe A10s in cache games 6 max. Do not you think that the rate of 1/2 can be considered as a weakness? And what betsize would you use in each street?I want to tell TAG would not have made a call with a weak hand)

Well, I was basing my suggestions specifically on the scenario provided where the player has already put in the 1/2 bet.

As far as how I would play the hand from the beginning? I really don't know for sure. I tend to mix up how I play pretty much with no real reason, so one time I might raise 1 pot, other times I may check. I'm a very inconsistent player.

BigGrayWolf

BigGrayWolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I was basing my suggestions specifically on the scenario provided where the player has already put in the 1/2 bet.

As far as how I would play the hand from the beginning? I really don't know for sure. I tend to mix up how I play pretty much with no real reason, so one time I might raise 1 pot, other times I may check. I'm a very inconsistent player.
Ok, thanks for your answers:)

I

Ivan Zaruba

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you need to bluff, but you just need to know the measure .....(My opinion.)