EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
AK only has an edge in the sense that, when behind (and AK is behind from the start), it has 6 outs to improve, and QQ only has 2 outs when behind (not counting any straight or flush draws, backdoor or not).

But the thing is: QQ is already ahead. If AK doesn't spike an A or K, it loses.

QQ will win 54% vs AKs only 46%.

Give me QQ any day.

You need an equity calculator.

Equilab
Ace Poker Solutions Equity Calculator

Equilab is faster for more complex ranges, but APSEC has the added feature of letting you assign discounted hands in ranges. Depending on the specific need, I use both.

+1

Just remember to not run the calculator when PS is running in the background, as you will get a warning. It happened to me while I was analysing my play, I wasn't even at a table and I got a warning, so if you want to use a calculator make sure poker sites are closed.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
+1

Just remember to not run the calculator when PS is running in the background, as you will get a warning. It happened to me while I was analysing my play, I wasn't even at a table and I got a warning, so if you want to use a calculator make sure poker sites are closed.

Interesting. its amazing how pokersites look down on edge play so much...

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Interesting. its amazing how pokersites look down on edge play so much...

They didn't use to ban these. I can see why they are not allowed tho, using it in play is cheating imo. These tools are great for analysing and find where you are going wrong in your plays.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They didn't use to ban these. I can see why they are not allowed tho, using it in play is cheating imo. These tools are great for analysing and find where you are going wrong in your plays.

i figure its as much cheating as using a hud. only if other players arent allowed to use it. i think the real reason is that they want to prevent casual players from being scared away by people who are 'too good' and dont understand why everyone else is so much better than them. which i think that would be much worse for the game.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
i figure its as much cheating as using a hud. only if other players arent allowed to use it

No it is totally different from a HUD, all a HUD gives you is stats, it doesn't tell you your equity or what your opponents range is, you have to work that out for yourself.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
already broke face often with QQ, but still opting for what is already ready

J

jwlaw35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough call but I would go with the QQ.. I see AK over played all the time and it hits and misses like any other hand.. I would rather be ahead at the start of the hand

Radi

Radi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many amateur players lose money on AK (my opinion)

qkamara6ina

qkamara6ina

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with most comments, a pair vs ak on all in before flop have better chance to win.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's put it this way -
If I get shoved on for my tournament life and I know he has AK and I'm holding QQ - I'm feeling really good about calling, however
If I get shoved on for my tournament life and I know he has QQ and I'm holding AK - I know I have to get lucky and don't feel so good about calling.

Yes, it is true, AK has a better chance of improving itself over QQ. That's only because there are 6 outs to improve AK and only 2 outs to improve QQ - BUT AK MUST IMPROVE, QQ MAY NOT HAVE TO.

D

DobbieElf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely the QQ, more chance to win.

Vitaliy Popik

Vitaliy Popik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My queens are always interrupted sets of dueces - nines :D

Then i dont like QQ ))

AK , 22 , 910 , J10 Best lovely hand`s :)

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Normally a made pair should win but you know there's so many factors involved. Calling in a late position may be a good decision

M

MaxMx2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many amateur players lose money on AK (my opinion)

I used to expirience that also and I did't like AK - it was really easy for me to overplay it. Now if I don't hit a flop I can call max one cbet, then I fold if turn doesn't improve my hand.
However it was also hard to fold QQ, KK or AA and it still is) Even if you feel you are behind.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would rather have QQ. I like AK when I'm short stacked in a tournament, but would rather have QQ in a full stack cash game.

M

MaxMx2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today I made a standard open raise with QQ and got two re-raises and as you can guess second of those was all-in. Opps were tight enough, it happened quite early in a tournament, so I decided to fold. I was pretty sure that at least one of them had AK, KK or AA. Coming back to the subject of this thread, when we make a dicision in a hand we consider a range, not specific cards. And in my particular case today against two players I'd probably call If I knew for sure that opps had AK and 77 as it really turned out. However putting both of them on the range AA, KK, AK, I'd fold AK as a well, just because early in tournament I wouldn't like to play all-in either QQ or AK against AA or KK.

P

Poker247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ is slightly ahead % wise preflop. I also prefer it over AK post flop, because I find it slightly easier to lay down on scary boards, so I tend to lose less with it than AK.

C

CactusCat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the Cash Game forum. In general the mods need to regulate and make sure MTT discussion is discussed in the Tournament subforum.

I like AK a little more in the preflop action. You heavily block KK/AA, and it's much easier to play in a +EV way. The dead money is always easier to attack with it than with QQ in my opinion. The nature of AK makes it more of the aggressor's hand, while QQ usually has to worry about KK and AA and is harder to pull the trigger with in all-in situations. The reputation of AK as a bustout hand has no relevance or bearing to cash game play.

Both hands play similarly and with trouble spots postflop.

QQ: Do I c-bet on an ace-high rainbow board? What about an ace-high two-tone board?

AK: I missed, it's a wet board, should I take a stab anyway? Or it checks through and I hit top pair on the turn, am I in the lead or was I already crushed on the flop?

Both hands can flop overpairs/hit top pair, and then have to worry about sets and two pair. A good player will play both to similar profit margins I think.

AK is a very great hand once you have a feel for what flops to c-bet and what turn cards to barrel on, vs. how many opponents, from early or late position. One of the only hands where if you do hit the flop, you don't have to worry about overcards coming on the turn and river. Just don't play it like Howard Lederer.

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand the overwhelming support for QQ here, and I'm leaning towards the same opinion. But, how happy with QQ are you if an A or a K come up on the flop? It's a tough hand to fold but some strong betting will usually get you off the hand, where with AK you can bet back at your opponents.

PacTa_Jha

PacTa_Jha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Varieties starting hands

Premium hands
These include cards, surrender the hand. They are invisible to other participants of the game.
AA – KK – QQ – AKo JJ ...

Strong hands
Combination AQs-ATs, KQs, JJ-99 and AQo+

Playable hands
are determined by the following combinations, called Playability
(88-22, A9s-A2s, K2s+, Q2s+, J2s+, T3s+, 94s+, 85s+, 76s, AJo-A2o, K3o+, Q4o+, J5o+, T6o+,
97o+, 87o),

Trash hands
The remaining hand combinations for the game.
According to another classification system presented by all hands and pocket pairs
connectors.