High pocket pairs (AA is the best ofc)

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The answer might be obvious, AA, KK, QQ, JJ.
But you already know that all these hands can be the big losers, so the best hand for me is indifferent to position, so the best hand is always the one I can win the pot.

almir nicolau

almir nicolau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
According to the evolution in poker, the players' ranges and adaptations evolve over the years.
nowadays (2023) there are many solvers that help the study on top of the GTO (The acronym GTO stands for Optimal Game Theory, expression commonly translated into Portuguese as "optimal game theory" or "perfect game theory".) that can help you a lot to remove these doubts about what to open in certain positions.
There are many factors that influence opening an (OPR) eg Effective stack and tournament stage.
Tip: at the beginning of a tournament with 50+ big blinds, I advise you to open speculative hands that form nuts and that manage to reach the river to complete your equity.
theoretically there are no better hands but a hand that in the medium and long term will be profitable to play UTG.

--- Below I leave a range ------

Tip: Studying first (OPR first) improves your game a lot (knowing what range we should open in certain positions (there are free programs that help)

hands that you can open (OPR) with 50 bb + UTG (always prioritize more the sutes hands of the table at the beginning of the tournament! glglglgl.

Red (open rease UTG)

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 high cards, 8 or more pockets, and others are OK depending on the situation.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What is the best hand to open from UTG?
I'm assuming we're talking No Limit Hold'em here.

As @almir nicolau has already posted, there is a whole range of hands that you should open UTG at least some of the time. Ranges will vary depending on effective stack size and the situation in the tournament.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A/A obviously is the best possible hand you can have Pre-flop, but that does not mean that it will always pay dividends, Depending on my position on the table, and has there been action before me, I will consider many more hands to enter a pot with, I have even played 7/2 suited from the BB because most players folded around to the BTN player who then just limp's in, Had he raised Pre-flop I might have considered folding a 7/2 suited or not, because they could be playing any two better cards with the same suit.
Players are sometimes blinded by their hands hitting big on the flop, Like A/A making trips on a A,Q, J, flop, but many players will play K/10 from some positions, and of course if you don't see the board pairing, your 3 of a kind will not beat his Straight. Also if the board does pair, what is stopping your opponent from having Quads? So you need to be cautious playing any hand.
Poker is so much more than a simple game of cards, You need to be cautious in some circumstances, Bold in others, but above everything else you need a good read on your opponent and know when you are beat!

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Just strong hands are pairs from 8 to jacks. With a properly constructed game with them, it is quite possible to make a successful combination.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands