Bet Sizing

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Hi all, could anyone recommend me some good study material related to bet sizing? It strikes me as hugely important.

When betting for value, if a player could squeeze out just one or two extra BBs for each time they bet, are called and win at showdown it could make significant difference to the bottom line. Or if they could bet a little lighter when bluffing, still get as many successful bluffs through and were called just as often they's lose less each time they were caught out bluffing.

All added up over time it could turn a losing player into a winning one, or increase the profits of already winning one. That's not even getting into the times where people might be missing out on lots of value in specific situations. There will be occasions where someone who called a 40% river bet that you made for value might have a called a 70% one with the same hand, or you bet 75% and they would have called all in.

Edit: A lot will be opponent-specific, figuring out if they're the type to overvalue or undervalue their hands, and by how much before we look to exploit that of course. Looking for some general starting points.

Last edited:
dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Annie Duke: The principle of betting. How to make decisions under conditions of uncertainty.Poker champion and business consultant Annie Duke talks about how to make better decisions in the face of uncertainty.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, the size of the bets is very important in relation to the value extracted as well as minimizing your losses.
Now a basic point to make good use of this concept is to have a balanced range of value and bluffs, and this point is directly related to the balance of your bets.
Soon I will be posting something about these concepts in poker, if you want to follow my topic I will be happy to contribute.

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips

Really nice video. It's pushing me further in the direction towards purchasing a solver and doing some study with it.

What I found most interesting there was the KJ2 flop example. I'd have said it was quite a wet flop with a few straight draws out there so would have leaned towards betting 65-75% pot if betting.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Really nice video. It's pushing me further in the direction towards purchasing a solver and doing some study with it.

What I found most interesting there was the KJ2 flop example. I'd have said it was quite a wet flop with a few straight draws out there so would have leaned towards betting 65-75% pot if betting.
Flopzilla is like 30 bucks US. If you want to level up your game this is how you do it.

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Flopzilla is like 30 bucks US. If you want to level up your game this is how you do it.
Thanks!

I've been looking at that lately, along with GTO+. A lot of people saying good things about them. Pretty sure I will get them both.