Best way to learn more?

D

dzcarr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, hope everyone had good holidays and enjoyed the time with the family. I was wondering if there is any tips on how to I guess get a little better at poker, don't get me wrong I am not new to the game and do like to consider myself a good player, but do need some teaching of new things, Thank you.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in poker we learn daily, the more you play poker, the more you learn to play, that is why we must study and correct our mistakes in each session of play, and finally always learn from the best, players who beat the level that you are, I think that way you will grow as a player.

A

Arnakk2424

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, hope everyone had good holidays and enjoyed the time with the family. I was wondering if there is any tips on how to I guess get a little better at poker, don't get me wrong I am not new to the game and do like to consider myself a good player, but do need some teaching of new things, Thank you.

Hello and happy new years
I don't know what is your level but assuming you know the game.
I spend close 50% of my time studing.

Videos

I personnally really like to watch videos. Not only because they can explain concept you may not be aware but also you can teach you how good players thing (assuming you are watching videos of talented players).
I personally have a subscription of tournamentpokeredge at the moment. I can not recommanded this site because its buggued like hell (gateway error message, your watch list disapear for no reason) but I go the first month for only $10.
You also have a lot of youtube video that can be interesting but I highly suggest that you have a specific e-mail address for poker Just by exemple I have 8 messages happy new year from Jonathan Little, ICMIZER, sharkscope, etc.

Books
Books are a little bit overrated but still a good option because you are ready 100% of what a pro poker player think and play. But be really selective. 95% of the books are outdated or are just bad.
I personally think buying a $50 book is overpriced but you can get it cheap used on ebay. Just got "Secrets of non-standard Sit'n'Gos by Phil Shaw" for half the price of amazon and I had to pay extra shipping because I am in canada.

Also you may be really surprise but you can rent books !
I am not sure the right word in english. In french we have "bibliothèque" where you rent books for free and "library" where you buy books.
Just atm I have "Secrets of profesionnal tournament poker "the essential guide" by Jonathan little (the last of in 2021)
Its worth $40 ? NO but its worth reading for free 100%.

scribd.com - 1 month free . Lots of books

Software
HM3 or Poker tracker 4 is a must have.
Lot of thing you can analyse.
SNGWizard, ICMIZER are also really good if you play tournament. I analyse pretty much all my one table SNG or MTT final table with them and its really worth
PokerStove - its free and you can test different scenario. Sometime you may think I have 60% equity on this board with this hand vs this range but you are wrong, u only have 40% equity.

Avoid
Avoid site with get rich playing poker
Avoid site selling package of pre-flop starting chart
Avoid site selling "secret"
Avoid the things too good to be true.

Hope its helps

Last edited:
Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips

dzkarr, hi. I try not to evaluate the players and not divide them into good or bad. If you write that you play well, I will believe you.:) And my advice is always the same: train and train again. Only practice in the game will teach you better than any advice. I so often read the dissatisfaction of participants and suspicions of fraud in poker rooms. They are very surprised that a player can go all-in, for example, with a combination of 92. And all this is due to an overabundance of the theory being studied. They a priori believe that the opponent cannot play with a garbage hand. But in practice, this is exactly the case: players play hands that theoretically cannot be played, call and raise where the fold should have been. And to understand that theory is a template for the right game, you need to practice and play more. I have long been used to the fact that players behave extremely uncharacteristically. Because everyone somehow has their own personal theory and strategy, which differs from the template ones.;)

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For an experienced player, there is not much technical part of the game to learn, to improve your game if you are already a good player, I think it might be better to focus at the mental part of it, try to play consistently at your A-game level, that is the most valuable thing you can master.

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you are already familiar with poker, then there are not many options for improving your game there! The most effective way, I think, will be to analyze your database in programs and analyze your hands, but this takes a lot of time! If there is not much time, then you can just watch the video as the professionals play and analyze their game! You can read some poker books, but it seems to me that they are not very effective at the moment! Play more, because the more you play, the more you learn! Good luck at the tables!

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think the more poker tournaments we play, the more we learn.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Particularly I think that the most up-to-date way to learn nowadays is with videos, you need to filter a lot and see who is the announcer to know if you will learn something useful in fact.

Books I believe you will only learn the essence, (maybe a book too new to contradict that).

Anyway, there is a lot of free content out there.

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's really out dated, but, check out
Harrington on Hold em. The 1st 2 volumes are full of great information that can still be vital these days.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
my opinion that the best way to learn is to play as much as possible in risk-free stakes and gaining experience, you can take small steps towards higher stakes, not leaving your comfort zone :)and of course playing you can form a still game only yours

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it's good to watch videos where great players talk about poker. Not match videos, but chat videos. I once saw a video by Daniel Negreanu in which he says we should play poker as if fighting boxing. Attack pre-flop and defend post-flop. Of course it assumes that you already know the cards and odds of the table that you should or should not play. And that influences everything that follows. But I thought the tip was very good.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Here is a free course available to all CardsChat members -

Become a Winning Poker Player in 30 Days | (Day 3) (cardschat.com)

And of course - play - play - play...

Good luck !

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The best way to learn more is to just play more. The more you play, the more you will accumulate experience, and along with the experience you will gain new knowledge. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, every mistake you make is a lesson you have.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to learn a lot about poker is to have a group discussion of the hands.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
by playing freerolls and pass the first hour
after that players are into it and play more serously

VanAlves

VanAlves

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
repetition takes you to perfection read the book at 10,000 hours

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think the best way to learn and improve is to just play more time. You need to play, analyze mistakes and draw conclusions. :)

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I would suggest a combination of playing, and really focusing on what worked and what failed badly, reading some good books by some of the top pros, and watch poker hands on Youtube, especially hands that include a commentary by a good pro or poker commentator.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The best way to learn is practice, play as much as you can as difficult games as you can each time and rise the difficulty when you are ready.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Notice the difference between cash games and tournaments.
Decide which one is best for you.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
bankroll management is key.
I suggest Upswing poker has a lot of good free resources.
Also Gripsed on youtube is very useful.