Best pre-flop raise size, and why?

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the size of your raise pre-flop and why you raise before flop?

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what I am holding , Where I am at position wise and who I am playing with. Usually 3x

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually 3x when stacks are deep in tourneys. Then when blinds and antes get deep, anywhere from 2x - 2.5x

D

donkey2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im not phased on position

whenever i have cards i think will connect i will raise and depending on the cards i will raise upto 6BB as that is the highest setting for IPOKER preflop and if im deepstacking it then this will be my normal preflop raise because as you reach the latter stages of the tournament
people start tightening up in order to hold their chip count.

generally this is the same at the beginning of the game too.

and a raise of this size can even scare of those normal premiums such KQ QJ
as the first thought can sometimes be for them (oh they have pocket aces)
and when you have a free range like i do im glad they think that when i raise 6BB out of position with a 46 suited or simular as you can still rake good pots depending on the level of blinds that the tournament is in at the time

i dont mind what position i am in because if i have AJ and am in the SB position, UTG or whereever i am going to trust in my hand and by doing this it saves alot of overthinking

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the size of your raise pre-flop and why you raise before flop?

The size of the raise pre-flop depends on the cards dealt. The reason for the raise is to push weaker hands out so they don't catch cards.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
It depends on many factors. No standards.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
In the first 3 - 4 blind levels I would raise upto 10BB with AA to JJ and AK to AJ
After that I will come down to 5BB for the same.
And towards higher levels 3BB to 2BB

Thats my style.
Thanks
Manoj
Bluffzone68

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The size of the raise pre-flop depends on the cards dealt. The reason for the raise is to push weaker hands out so they don't catch cards.
I would not recommend this at all. I do change based on cards when I have a big call-station to my left and I have a big pair and I know they will call no matter how big I raise, but that is just to exploit a glaring known weakness in a player, but other than very limited situations basing pre-flop raise sizes on your cards is a bad idea, you are basically playing with your cards face up by doing that.

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3x the big is standard. I raise because you typically don't want more than 2 callers because of regardless of how good your hole cards are you likely will not win if a table full limps in for the BB.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The size of raise pre-flop depends on many factors. For me, the following are important:
1) my position 2) how much BB in my stack 3) what kind of players sit on table.

howiefig

howiefig

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]depending on the hand that I have, I do not focus so much on the position[/COLOR]​

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I try to keep my raises in each level the same as I started the level at, if I started at 2.5 I try to keep int at 2.5 plus any limps. I adjust upward for hands folded to me when I am on the button or cutoff if both big and small are habitual defenders of their blinds at standard but fold to a 1x increase. I do make exceptions for some specific players. In general I raise to win pre-flop or build pot, hopefully opponents don't know which is the case at the time I raise.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to keep my raises in each level the same as I started the level at, if I started at 2.5 I try to keep int at 2.5 plus any limps. I adjust upward for hands folded to me when I am on the button or cutoff if both big and small are habitual defenders of their blinds at standard but fold to a 1x increase. I do make exceptions for some specific players. In general I raise to win pre-flop or build pot, hopefully opponents don't know which is the case at the time I raise.
This is a good tactic. the size of the bet each time your opponent will not be able to read you.
Sizing is an important aspect of the game and if you own it, this is a good quality player. [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

A

akufto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there is definitely no better pre-flop raise, because a raise should always be varied, if you constantly raise one and the same amount, in subsequent hands you will have more and more opponents, and they should be minimized, because no one knows what cards will fall on the table, if you certainly do not foresee the future !!! )))

K

KuprinMA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the stage of the tournament and the average size of the stack at the table, in general from 2 to 3 bb standard raise.

P

psuedosuited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a good tactic. the size of the bet each time your opponent will not be able to read you.
Sizing is an important aspect of the game and if you own it, this is a good quality player. [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

Very good advise. I think 2.5 to 3x bb is optimal game theory.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly i do think that you have to make it standard raises (unless your stack is small) regardless the hand you're holding or you gonna be so easyyy to read. It's always disappoint when you have monstrous hands and don't have costumers because you were to much predictable with the raise size.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At early stage of tournament, I raise 2,5x/3x most of times.
At later stage, I raise 2x/2,5x most of times.

I can change that, depending other players, if have any action before me but most times I raise like this.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The size of the raise is different and depends on many factors I don’t have a single standard !!!

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That,s all depends on the different situation. There is no best preflop raise size. I know, some people just don,t want to raise even with monster hand, so they just limp it and get value.

Yoda82

Yoda82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop bet size is determined by a ton of factors. You might bet more conservatively in early position with hands like QQ or AK to avoid pots getting crazy; whereas, you might bet 3-5x on the button with the same hands depending on the number of callers before you. And that’s for cash games. Tournament play is a different beast. Often a 2.2-2.5 bet is enough to weed out a chunk of the field and take down pots uncontested.

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on position and callers/raisers before you.

general rule is 3bb
when raising limpers it 3bb +1bb per limper
when raising a raise in position its about 3x raise when out of position its 3.5x raise

thats my style/rule

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I examine the situation. What position I'm in, how others are playing, what my table image is to others, or if I'm new to the table, ect. But, if I am coming into a pot, I do always come in for a raise and I stick with a similar raise pattern from the position I am in no matter what cards I hold because if your coming in with different raises based on your hand strength, then you become easy to read for people paying attention. For example, if you come from UTG with a min raise when your holding 10 9s but then you raise 5x the BB when you have AA...theb you are going to get a bunch of folds and not maximize your profits. Find what works for you but stay consistent.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In 2.5x - 3.5x normally. +1bb for every limper. If the normal for the table is higher then I follow. Or if some players call higher raises more easily. Always good to get more money/chips in with the best hand.