Best format for newbie

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would stay away from any "zoom" or "turbo" games if you are a complete beginner. I would also stay away from short handed tables.

So I would recommend 9 person (full ring) low stakes cash games or tournaments for a new player.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best format for a beginner would be your standard format 9man sng. You learn the basics about position and icm. You also get to see more short stacked play and you still get the deep stack in the early stages.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From poker point, best place to start is single table (cash or S&G; I don't know which one is better/preferred).
However:
If you have no money to spare, you'll have to start with freerolls.
And no, there are no single table freerolls (as far as I know).

p.s. in case you never win anything in a freeroll, most likely you will not be very successfull at the other games, but need to improve your skills.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are good as you aren't risking your own money but be aware of the high number of shoves. MTTs have a lot of variance and require time and patience - I would recommend sit and gos to improve at first. And as others have said, avoiding turbos might be good so you can practise playing tight, aggressive poker.

M

mshropy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all. Just wondering what the best format for a new player would be? MTT, STT, turbo, snap/zoom, etc. Playing freerolls when I can now but which would be best to try and learn and not lose every time.

Thanks.
well not many freerolls.. Multi player for low entry fees till you learn.. Patience.. I like turbos because you have donks thT stall everyhand to last second.. Whats to think about. StraTagy lol.. Not onl8ne

Hi all. Just wondering what the best format for a new player would be? MTT, STT, turbo, snap/zoom, etc. Playing freerolls when I can now but which would be best to try and learn and not lose every time.

Thanks.
well not many freerolls.. Multi player for low entry fees till you learn.. Patience.. I like turbos because you have donks thT stall everyhand to last second.. Whats to think about. StraTagy lol.. Not onl8ne

Play those games where you can show your best game. Try everything and choose.
..kinda all same if you play poker.. .Hell they have App that tells you percentages. Or play money first till you learn hand percents. Of course ive had pocket aces and lost to 5s or 6 9 offsuit

Last edited by a moderator:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
..kinda all same if you play poker.. .Hell they have app that tells you percentages. Or play money first till you learn hand percents. Of course ive had pocket aces and lost to 5s or 6 9 offsuit

Actually they are not all the same. If they were, I don't think OP would be asking this question AND if you're unable to see the differences, perhaps you shouldn't be offering advice on this particular thread. Just a thought...

OP, If you've already been playing some Freeroll tournaments, it might be best to try out the 9-man SnG's as others have suggested. Consider adding in some micro buyin tournaments on occasion as well.
gl

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say start with mtt they are as close to live tournaments you see on tv.

B

babrend

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT's if you have stars - that's the only interesting format these days and this is what you should learn to play

M

MadMan999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start playing freerolls and sng 9-max. Also you can play cash if you don't like MTT's. For your skill it's good to play all type of poker.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for a beginner, it is better to play tournaments with a number of 90,180 people, often try to get into prizes,do analysis of your game and study in parallel.

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try a bit of everything and you will see that some will fall as a glove. But I would recommend you to start with the Sit & Go or Spin & Go, easy and fast with a classic TexasHoldem.

Now, if you have more patience and time, you can start with STTs and freerolls, which tend to spread but are very useful to master your physical and mental strength.

riverokker

riverokker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best Results!

Play zoom micro stakes. Good way to make money grind it out. You cant lose to much. And you get more hands per hr played. Faster and learn quicker!:icon_thum

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think it is best to start with freerolls. This will allow you to gain experience without cost. After that, you can start playing in tournaments with a minimum buy-in.