Best advice you can give to someone on how to become a better poker player?

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The number one most important thing is....drumroll.........Money Management.

You must manage your bankroll wisely and at the table you must manage your chipstack wisely.

To me, that is the most important thing to keep in mind in poker. You will not succeed without this, IMHO, because without a bankroll you can't even participate!

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Play, study and adjust. The more you play, the more strategies you attempt, the more strategies you see, the more you'll learn. Find one that works for you and stick to it.

R

r0manlegi0nn

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"There's no such thing as luck in poker, everybody will have the same amount of luck in the long run. Those who use math to make the right decisions will win at the end of the day." love this

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Focus on making good decisions, the money will work itself out.

crusinnn

crusinnn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The number one most important thing is....drumroll.........Money Management.

You must manage your bankroll wisely and at the table you must manage your chipstack wisely.

To me, that is the most important thing to keep in mind in poker. You will not succeed without this, IMHO, because without a bankroll you can't even participate!

^ Exactly this. You can study , play, experience but if you can't manage a proper bankroll you will always find yourself back to square one. Even some of the greatest poker players will tell you that .

^Its easier said than done. Some tips for the above: Patience is the key , you might see your stack rise very slowly while learning with a proper bank roll management but that's ok. As you get better it will rise faster . Good luck 😊

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't overvalue overpairs, especially in cash (non-tournament) games. yes, they are lovely, and yes they are strong, but if you bet and they keep reraising, there's a large chance if you are playing with decent opponents that your pocket aces just aren't strong enough.

I can probably attribute almost half of my losses, dollar-wise, to this one fact.

badboyboat

badboyboat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Manage your BR at all times! Be patient, Use your position wisely, and as a new player if you cant raise , FOLD! Its always better to win a little than loose a lot!

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Allways

Allways see the flop first , and dont get frustrated when you bad bet. :rock:

Alexsandr Kononov

Alexsandr Kononov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Do not play every hand . Take frequent pass .
2. Do not play for money, if you're drunk .
3. Do not bluff just for the sake of bluffing .
4. Do not stay in a hand just because you've put in a lot of pot.
5. Do not make the call at the end of the game only to bring the enemy to clean water
6. Do not play when you are angry , upset or just in a bad mood .
7. Pay attention to the cards on the table .
8. Take regular breaks . Avoid long gaming sessions.
9. Do not play at too high limits .
10. Choose the game according to your skills and bankroll .

J

jimmy62

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I myself think that playing in freerolls and play money tables until you get to where you know, how many outs you have left in the deck for a winner, and the % of getting them.Example;A-J spades in hole,Flop is K spade,Q club,8spade.How many outs 4 flush?For straight?For ace overcard pair?How many outs total?Poker is 80% math,and 19% luck,and 1% personality in my opinion.Enjoy!!!!!!

Slavuy

Slavuy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My suggestion is to play freerolls tournaments before deposit any cash. It's great practice with no pressure on you.

J

Jonathan Bradenton

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Play tight
2. If things are not working out, try to discover why. If it's more a luck matter, maintain your strategt, don't get frustated
3. Always keep yourself in the game, it doesn't matter how much money you have
4. If you are playing qualyfings, you might want play very safe if you see you have a suficient amount of chips to get qualified.

L

lscwin1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is one of the best threads Ive read on here...

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say that the biggest tip towards becoming a good poker player is learning the art of patience. It may not always pay off, but without it you won't become a good player. Take your time to study ; books, videos, training sessions and try and apply your learning to real games. Don't think of freerolls as real tourneys as people play them differently to a money buy in. Pick your game based on your bankroll limit and keep learning.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best advice I have gotten is not to drink and play because it messes with your judgment... SO now I make it deep then drink afterwards to celebrate...

InsertMoreCoins

InsertMoreCoins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For cash games at least, if you're losing too much, take a break. It might just be a swing if you're a winning player, but if you're losing frequently you're most likely doing something wrong. 'Luck' only extends so far.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Proper BRM,focused,adequate sample size,some patient and good discipline.

Also the most important thing is you got to learn the embrace the variances.

M

money677

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
play in position and if a bad flop comes fold if you get a good hand in position raise

hutzpaf

hutzpaf

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Discuss poker with your friends and get a coach.

Attachments

• Clip_5.jpg
    Clip_5.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 21
4soul

4soul

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hever thing about the buy-in amount when u decide to play something.
Take poker like a good joke and don't be nervous....sometimes exist bad jokes.
Be proud if you win 3$....the same proud will exist also when you will win 3000$ or more.
Fell the other players from your table
Don't think about your position in mtt...just wait to remain alone there :))
And learn something in everything you read about poker. one single ideea it's enought...but make it daily this! :D

spankywhlam

spankywhlam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a lot of good advices, really. I want to add only, that the character of playing is doing big role in the game. Less calling, more bets & raising ;D

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study poker sience and you ll be the first!

L

lscwin1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keeping it simple...patience and position...been really trying to adhere to this lately and hoping for improved results...

S

Smoola

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Studying books, podcasts, and videos will help your game a lot. You also need to do a lot of posr-session review to figure out your leaks, so you can fix them.