Beginning PLO, Some Very Basic Ideas and Thoughts

B

bigbigbucs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I'll give it a go.

Might be nice to learn another game. And to take a break from the daily grind. Thanks for the pointers and tips. I just reg, for a 9sng playchip. Gonna practice some. and will post back with some results after a few dozen games. Thanks, bbbucs

Siao

Siao

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great read. Makes me really want to get into PLO, I appreciate the tips.

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im really enjoying my break from hold em and playing PLO. Thanks for the tips!

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Been continuing my dabbling. Big thing I've noticed that hasn't been mentioned above, no-one is willing to play for stacks (admittedly only ~ 200 hands played).

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was bored tonight after a break even grind at NLH so I fired up one table of PLO (micro .01/.02) and wow. All I did was try to play coordinated hands and peddle the nuts and I won over a buy in. Yes I ran well (lets hear it for begginers luck) but it seemed like everyone at the table was just playing random cards. I would have won more but I accidently min raised a straight instead of potting it. Oops :)

I won't base any serious conclusions on such a small sample of course, but I think I'm going to have to study up on this. Aside from the profit or loss its fun to learn a new game.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Been continuing my dabbling. Big thing I've noticed that hasn't been mentioned above, no-one is willing to play for stacks (admittedly only ~ 200 hands played).
You sure you playing PLO? I have not met a person who did not want to stack off with something.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Maybe it's me missing every fricken draw on the river?

When do stacks usually go in? I'm constantly getting flatted or folded to, especially before the river.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They go in everywhere mostly on the flop when draws are still super sexy.

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice intro to Omaha Marginal. If anyone wants a little practice Carbon has an Omaha freeroll that starts at 10pm UK time every night. I like to play a little Omaha just for fun. I suspect there are many more casual O players who just play it for a change. Therefore i'm sure it's profitable given a bit of common sense and practice.

Sorry that's 11pm UK time not 10pm.

Last edited:
Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for this post Marginal.
I have been getting down with omaha lately and like it, but still somewhat of a noob. (I will still occassionally bet because I think I have this awesome hand, but in fact have made it with 3 from my hand, or 4 from the board- I am hoping that goes away soon, lol)

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a professional Omaha player like myself, I was in the process of writing an article like Marginal has wrote here, shame you beat me to it buddy! :rolleyes:

On a serious note, very nice post indeed...going to read it again until it sinks in.:)

Goodjob.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Okay...going back after these nitty bastards...will report back.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Finally found some aggro players...did well for while (up ~1 1/2 buyins at one time) but stacked off twice on the turn with double nut flush draws (unpaired boards)....bad moves or bad luck?

BTW lost to a baby straight and 2 pair.

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i enjoy omaha and would like to learn how to beat it, ive tried full ring but would you reccomend just starting at 6max for omaha? i only ever play full ring in NLHE if this makes any difference

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice thread, loving PLO. thanks for the tips

G

gsxr5221

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is awesome..Im a new player to Omaha and still learning the game so I appreciate something like this a lot...My goal is to get familiar enough with the Omaha game where I can hop into the 5/10mix game of holdem & omaha at the poker room I play at, I am aware that this isn't going to be an overnight type deal to get to that level....Alot of the players are the same that play in the nlhe game against me so I am familiar with some of their tendencies...I've also recently started playing omaha in one of the Dealer's weekly home games where they just started doing a mix of omaha and holdem each round.

I think I may try to post one hand from each session whether I win or lose the hand and see what you guys think about the hand regarding how it was played out and everything

slgalt

slgalt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just starting to get into PLO and O8 before Black Friday, and had been watching a bunch of coaching vids. But haven't kept it up much. Would like to get better at it in case I ever get my bankroll back.

Serkish

Serkish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good stuff, will put it to use! thanks!

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like it when people bring posts back from the dead. Looks like some good, basic advice as advertised. I see beginners forgetting or not knowing you have to play exactly two cards from your hand.

I'd like to add that in my experience playing microstakes PLO and NLHE, PLO is a stronger draw for two types of players that can be exploited-- over aggressors and gamblers. Good luck with that variance!

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first post would be of much more interest to the totally uninitiated re PLO, or Omaha generally, if there was a brief resume of how Omaha is played at the beginning. At worst a link to a site which explains it although having it 'in-thread' would obviate the necessity of flicking from page to page whilst reading.

Something like, for Holdem:-
Each player is dealt two hole cards and a total of five community are dealt in stages, blah, blah .......................................... The aim is to make the best five card hand from any combination ofyour hole cards and the five community cards.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You use exactly two cards from your hand to make a five card hand with the board Henry. Besides that, it plays like Holdem.

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You use exactly two cards from your hand to make a five card hand with the board Henry. Besides that, it plays like Holdem.
Yup, I knew that but as I said, it would have helped the unfamiliar if that had been in the OP. :)

R

RandyMarsh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great OP. still new to this game

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just bet pot every time it's your turn. That's the secret to PLO.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hear ya poofy. I have taken a few shots at Omaha and always seem to waste some money trying to use more that 2 of the cards in my hand. I still have trouble removing my hold-em instincts from my Omaha play.