Beginners NLHE Guide

S

SDMade

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys im a fellow online poker grinder, ive been playing online poker for 8 years now mostly unsuccessfully with over 2 million hands of experience. i've donated a lot of money over the years and it was often extremely frustrating to keep losing without understanding why. most of the game theory information i've come across online(specifically for NLHE) leaves out these very important concepts and because i have a conscience i want to share some of the strategy tips that i've developed after countless hours reviewing my pokertracker database. like most, i believed online poker was rigged and spent many days trying to find a strategy to exploit the RNG, usually with mixed results, and to this day i still believe the RNG is skewed.

bankroll management:
-i've read between 25 buyins and 100 buyins is considered good bankroll management, i recommend 100 buyins minimum.

NLHE preflop:

-first i'll start with the concept of table equity which i find to be a useful starting 'VPIP' to aim for, table equity being: 100% divided by the number of players at the table representing your share of mathematically 'winning equity', for example at 6max your table equity would be 16.67% so you would want to be playing the top 16.67% of hands which for me is something like 22+A2s+ATo+KJo+KTs+QTs+JTs+, 9max would be the top 11.1%.. and so on.

-after youre familiar with table equity, you'll want to know that mathematically you can steal in late position and defend the big blind(possibly small blind too) up to double table equity or more (example: 33.3% at 6max, something like 22+AT+KT+A2s-T2s+96s-76s+), if you fold bb you'll lose 100bb/100 hands and 50bb/100 in sb - fyi, BUT keep in mind this isnt always appropriate as you often wont get enough respect to justify stealing/defending vs weaker opponents, in that case just stick with table equity VPIP.

-when it comes to 3betting, i'd suggest you stick with 3betting for value (TT+AQ+) or to make things easier only 3bet when you have a near sure-thing such as AA/KK.

NLHE postflop:

-for toomany years i fell victim to the same postflop mistakes which is overvaluing flush draws/OESD's, overvaluing top pairs including TPTK, AND overvaluing overpairs. these are hands you actually want to fold surprisingly often when your opponent reraises you even if it seems very difficult, you need to understand that most of your profit will come from having the sure-thing nuts OR outright bluffing your opponent off their hand via barreling.

-what i do to get opponents to fold is what i call "cbarrel" vs 1 caller postflop, that means i'll cbet the flop about 2/3 pot size which needs to work 39% or more to profit, then i cbet the turn 1/2 pot size which needs to work 33% to profit, and again i cbet the river 1/2 pot size which usually gets them to fold enough to be profitable even if they didnt fold the turn.

-if you notice you arent getting very many folds/respect you can adjust by tightening up preflop or experimenting with barreling less. i also like to reraise my opponent on the flop around 2x - 2.5x the size of their cbet in a sense "cbetting their cbet" as often as possible to boost my redline.

-if it helps try to imagine that the cards dont matter, youre only trying get your opponent to fold, otherwise you only want to showdown a sure-thing. realize that in a vacuum if you were all playing similar hand ranges preflop the most aggressive player postflop would usually come out on top.

good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: