Beginner Advice

T

TheCommishh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Everyone,

First time user here. I am currently a senior in college and want to pick up poker. I have played for several years at a novice level, but want to become more skilled at a competitive threshold. I am currently reading The Theory of Poker to start and am wondering what general recommendations/advice people have. Questions include:

When should I start playing - i.e directly after finishing the book? If not, what book(s) should I read next?
How long should I play for on a daily/weekly basis?
Where should I play?
What mistakes did you make that set you back in your progress?
Lastly, are there any people you follow on YouTube, Twitter, poker blogs, etc that I should look at?

Thank you very much - any comments or additional pieces of advice would be appreciated.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Start with one coach

Hi Everyone,

First time user here. I am currently a senior in college and want to pick up poker. I have played for several years at a novice level, but want to become more skilled at a competitive threshold. I am currently reading The Theory of Poker to start and am wondering what general recommendations/advice people have. Questions include:

When should I start playing - i.e directly after finishing the book? If not, what book(s) should I read next?
Where should I play?
Lastly, are there any people you follow on YouTube, Twitter, poker blogs, etc that I should look at?

Thank you very much - any comments or additional pieces of advice would be appreciated.

Start playing in free games now to get the feel of making decisions.
Play Thursday - Sunday and study every day.
You should find a game you can beat and play there.
I tried to build my own playing strategy rather than learn from those who went before me.
Learning from others allows you to get better faster. Just pick one poker coach at first then look at multiple strategies when you know you have a strong skill set.
I recommend Jonathan Little. jonathanlittle poker.com he has books videos etc.

Hope this helps

:):)

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cash game or tournaments?

Hi Everyone,

you can start playing while reading. Pokerstars has Play Chips tables, those or fine to try out some stuff and start with poker without losing all your Money :D
I posted some advice About books in another thread: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/poker-books-433619/https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/poker-books-433619/
depends on how much time you have. I think Weekly 2-3 days should be fine.
Where should I play?
at home on your pc/Laptop. you should not get distracted by your surroundings and Focus on your game.
My biggest mistake at the start was my bankrollmanagement. I deposited 20-50$ and played until I lost it all. I played too high stakes (5-10$ tournaments) and unless you are really lucky, you lose all your Money cause of variance. therefor I would suggest a bankroll of 50-100 buy-ins if you want to Play with your bankroll for more than a few weeks/months.
also after Winning some big Money and climing the stakes too fast could be a big mistake!
2+2 Forum, chardschat, upswing poker, push/fold Charts, …..

additional:
don't start playing poker because you want to win Money, because you won't. Play it because you enjoy the game and once you improve your Play, you might start Winning a few bucks.
you won't be able to get more Money than with any decent Job. It takes a lot of effort and experience to get to those Levels.
until you start Winning 4-figure in tournaments on a regular Basis, poker should Always be just a Hobby.