Bankroll Management - Need Help

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice one, I wish I could say it came naturally to me too but it doesn't... I am of the philosophy that you need a bankroll to manage....if you have under $50 then I'm not interested in BRM....I will play 2nl as that's all I can afford but I won't start thinking about brm until I see big profits and know its time

C

Caesura

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest you seem to be doing alright so far. I've been grinding for months and showing a tiny profit. I did mange to lose my entire Sky bankroll yesterday playing cash games. Doubled up then spoofed it all. Have you got a Sky account? You get a free 10pd which you can use for poker or sports betting. It's pretty fishy too, more so than pokerstars. Have a look.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
are you just learning?.....showing a tiny profit is better than depositing all the time so you are doing well....ive only deposited once so im not a complete fish haha......no ive not got a ky account, i heard that the software is crap and theres not alot of traffic......i just have the one account on stars.....when i get more confident i will go fishing on other sites

C

Caesura

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is crap but a free 10pd is a free 10pd

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thats true caesura that is very true lol

trucker103

trucker103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the more u work at it building bankrolls tend to be slow and steady keeping a bankroll can go in a instant
dont move up to fast and adjust ur play as u move up in levels !

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks trucker good tip mate

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the more u work at it building bankrolls tend to be slow and steady keeping a bankroll can go in a instant
dont move up to fast and adjust ur play as u move up in levels !
The major point of BRM is not to put yourself in situations where your roll can go in an instant.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice one, I wish I could say it came naturally to me too but it doesn't... I am of the philosophy that you need a bankroll to manage....if you have under $50 then I'm not interested in BRM....I will play 2nl as that's all I can afford but I won't start thinking about brm until I see big profits and know its time
It depends on the individual. If you have the self-discipline to start following solid BRM guidelines one your roll grows to a larger amount, it's not necessarily critical to apply them when your roll isn't large enough to be meaningful. Otoh, some people are more creatures of habit. For them, it can be better to establish solid BRM habits from the start instead of having to change habits later on.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the individual. If you have the self-discipline to start following solid BRM guidelines one your roll grows to a larger amount, it's not necessarily critical to apply them when your roll isn't large enough to be meaningful. Otoh, some people are more creatures of habit. For them, it can be better to establish solid BRM habits from the start instead of having to change habits later on.

Yeah you are absolutely right, I'm trying to run before I can walk....I just want to get out of 2nl as quickly as possible and get going at 5nl...now I'm not a greedy person, but I've been skint for a hell of a long time and have finally found something that (I think) I'm quite good at 'although I'm a 'feel player' at best at the moment lol....I dont expect to be a millionare but I see myself if I learn the game properly, could maybe win enough money to go on holiday or buy a nice new guitar, or maybe even get a steady income....I never did well at school so I'm limited at getting a job anywhere...I'm 30 so this is a last chance to be good at something ya know...and I believe in myself...if I dont make it then atleast I can say I put everything into it, which is all I can ask for tbh....I shouldn't be worried about how much profit (if I'm lucky) at the moment as the money I have on stars is my learning money and if I lose it all I will deposit again and so on, until I dont need to do that...however with me being competative and hungry and for a genuine love for the game I want to do it all as fast as possible.....I've loved poker for a few years now and played a ridiculous amount on zynga facebook....but it never occured to me to learn about poker theory etc, until one day I had millions of chips and was sick of winning all the time and not getting anything 'real' out of it.....so I googled online real money sites and picked stars, with the intent of learning the game properly....anway before you fall asleep with me rattling on haha thanks for the brm advice mate much appreciated

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as making more money is concerned, whether enough to live on or just a couple of hundred a month, it's much more important in the big picture to advance levels than to do so as quickly as possible. I'm not talking about staying at levels long after you've established solid win rates. Rather, what I'm getting at is that you can't predict how long it will take to become a solid winner at a given level. For instance, some players fly through say 10NL while others take much longer and may even have to drop back down from it multiple times before they finally beat it. The important thing is eventually beating it. You have more control over that by continuing to improve as opposed to how fast you beat it since we improve in different ways at different rates.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cool, I will take my time and do it sensibly from now on....you're right I need to look at the bigger picture and have long term goals, instead of expecting to blag my way through....I need a good dressing down because my ego is too big for my knowledge of the game....

So I have $27 and play 2nl currently, which means I have about 6 buy ins at $4......if I get to 15 or 20 buy ins, do I move up to 5nl?.......so I would need to win $80 to get to 5nl, is that right?....I'm sure someone explained this before but I have a memory of a fish haha......

What stakes do you play yourself and how long did it take you to progress through each level?

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah you are absolutely right, I'm trying to run before I can walk....I just want to get out of 2nl as quickly as possible and get going at 5nl...now I'm not a greedy person, but I've been skint for a hell of a long time and have finally found something that (I think) I'm quite good at 'although I'm a 'feel player' at best at the moment lol....I dont expect to be a millionare but I see myself if I learn the game properly, could maybe win enough money to go on holiday or buy a nice new guitar, or maybe even get a steady income....I never did well at school so I'm limited at getting a job anywhere...I'm 30 so this is a last chance to be good at something ya know...and I believe in myself...if I dont make it then atleast I can say I put everything into it, which is all I can ask for tbh....I shouldn't be worried about how much profit (if I'm lucky) at the moment as the money I have on stars is my learning money and if I lose it all I will deposit again and so on, until I dont need to do that...however with me being competative and hungry and for a genuine love for the game I want to do it all as fast as possible.....I've loved poker for a few years now and played a ridiculous amount on zynga facebook....but it never occured to me to learn about poker theory etc, until one day I had millions of chips and was sick of winning all the time and not getting anything 'real' out of it.....so I googled online real money sites and picked stars, with the intent of learning the game properly....anway before you fall asleep with me rattling on haha thanks for the brm advice mate much appreciated

I'm younger w/ a somewhat similar story. I was good in school but I never applied myself to anything as much as poker.

I would say if this is your last shot and your dedicated. "Learning money" shouldn't be necessary. Unless your Phil Ivey and claim to "never have read a poker book" I would suggest you start there. Books, training sites, and strategy articles.

Put in the time off the table so you become less of a 'feel' player and more of a 'know' player.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I have $27 and play 2nl currently, which means I have about 6 buy ins at $4......if I get to 15 or 20 buy ins, do I move up to 5nl?.......so I would need to win $80 to get to 5nl, is that right?....I'm sure someone explained this before but I have a memory of a fish haha......

Having 20 buy-ins is fine for taking shots at the next level, especially at the lowest stakes. A crucial aspect of bankroll management is being disciplined enough to move back down a level if necessary.

My BRM involves always having 40 buy-ins for the previous level so is like this...

Play 5nl when BR is over $80
Play 10nl when over $200
Play 16nl when over $400
Play 25nl when over $640
Play 50nl when over $1000

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm younger w/ a somewhat similar story. I was good in school but I never applied myself to anything as much as poker.

I would say if this is your last shot and your dedicated. "Learning money" shouldn't be necessary. Unless your Phil Ivey and claim to "never have read a poker book" I would suggest you start there. Books, training sites, and strategy articles.

Put in the time off the table so you become less of a 'feel' player and more of a 'know' player.

yeah, ive downloaded a few books and check here regularly for tips, i hope to be a 'know player' soon lol........phil ivey never read a poker book?...really

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having 20 buy-ins is fine for taking shots at the next level, especially at the lowest stakes. A crucial aspect of bankroll management is being disciplined enough to move back down a level if necessary.

My BRM involves always having 40 buy-ins for the previous level so is like this...

Play 5nl when BR is over $80
Play 10nl when over $200
Play 16nl when over $400
Play 25nl when over $640
Play 50nl when over $1000

thanks micro for the guide, i will apply it....gl at the tables mate

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
20 buyins to move up is an aggressive guideline. I tend to suggest 30 to move up, and drop back down if you fall to 20 (or sooner if you realize you're not ready for the level).

Note that moving up and taking shots are not mutually exclusive. My usual suggestion is to take shots by winning enough for a couple of buyins. For example, if I'm playing 2NL, I'd give myself a target of winning $10, which gives my 2 buyins at NL5. Once I feel from my shots that I can hold my own at NL5, then I'd aim to get my roll to $150 (30 buyins) to move up.

But there's still more to consider. For example, if I'm beating 2NL at 1bb/100, I'll eventually build my roll to $150. But I'm less likely to be ready for 5NL than if I'd been winning at say 10bb/100.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management