Bad beats

R

ruco72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello!

Doesn't it look like the algorithm is set to make you more likely to get a bad beat once you reach a certain level of profit/wins? :rolleyes:

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are getting bad beated a lot probably because you are playing too many hands and therefore are frequently being dominated by people with stronger ranges.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hello!

Doesn't it look like the algorithm is set to make you more likely to get a bad beat once you reach a certain level of profit/wins? :rolleyes:
I'm not sure if this is the case because there is a variety of players and some make many thousands, some make a few thousand, some make a few hundred in profit, most lose their money. So if there is an algorithm in play, it wouldn't be based on profitability and wins.

R

ruco72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another way to place this question is: Do you believe in the complete and constant randomness of online poker (or at least as much as an artificial randomnes is possible)? Or might there be some type of "bias" in the way the cards are given?

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beats is the part of poker that tells you that you overestimated your knowledge of your opponent and as a result you lost even though you could have kept your stack.

R

ruco72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are getting bad beated a lot probably because you are playing too many hands and therefore are frequently being dominated by people with stronger ranges.

I think bad beats aren't that frequent. I mean it's not even frequent to have a strong hand... :)
But they do happen and when that happens usually there will be a great variance!
My question has more to do with the idea that que randomness might not be without some bias. What do you think?

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think bad beats aren't that frequent. I mean it's not even frequent to have a strong hand... :)
But they do happen and when that happens usually there will be a great variance!
My question has more to do with the idea that que randomness might not be without some bias. What do you think?
I think it's unlikely but I can understand why you would think this based on how scummy some of the people who run these sites appear to be.

I had the same thoughts when I started playing, but now that I have improved my game and appear to be a significant winner, those thoughts have gone away.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Bad beats are part of the game of poker. They can happen the 1st hand or the millionth hand you play. Also, the definition of a bad beat is overused. Bad beats are really about strong hand with a likely chance of winning that get beaten. AKO vs AQ will lose 1 time out of 3. Unlucky it was time to lose but not really a bad beat.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It means that you cannot move forward without deeper knowledge and insight.