• Thread starter This Fish Chums
  • Start date
This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avoid using auto-check or auto-check/fold, unless you are trying to trap. Players know it’s impossible to react that quickly to your turn and so when they see it react that fast they know you are most likely just trying to fold away the hand which can induce a bet, forcing you to autofold. Even if you hit a really bad flop, you could still turn runner-runner for a set at a minimum. So don’t give your opponents a reason to push you out of the hand if they don’t already have one.
On the other hand, if you do hit a big hand and you want to trap, instead of just checking, use auto-check. It may lull your opponents into thinking you are auto-check/folding and just might be the deciding factor in pulling off that trap.

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some may play that card to induce a bet... careful

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the advice. I will give the trap a try. I have been aware of the auto-check timing for some time and have tried to avoid that. Great advice.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Avoid using auto-check or auto-check/fold, unless you are trying to trap. Players know it’s impossible to react that quickly to your turn and so when they see it react that fast they know you are most likely just trying to fold away the hand which can induce a bet, forcing you to autofold. Even if you hit a really bad flop, you could still turn runner-runner for a set at a minimum. So don’t give your opponents a reason to push you out of the hand if they don’t already have one.
On the other hand, if you do hit a big hand and you want to trap, instead of just checking, use auto-check. It may lull your opponents into thinking you are auto-check/folding and just might be the deciding factor in pulling off that trap.

Thats some neat advice.

Though there are too many calling stations that could see right through that only because they want a suckout an opponent.

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh this is a good one!

I play around with both ideas and have experienced almost 50/50 with them. It really depends on who is at your table, their aggression, etc. It can certainly be profitable if you find someone who wants to bet big and win or lose. That is the perfect time to use the method of auto check.. You can make a lot doing so.

B

BigRivers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On ACR I've accidentally called a few massive bets by clicking the check button as it turns into a call. So make sure there is at least two more players to act before hitting the check button.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to keep myself from using the auto check feature ever. I have found myself many times trying to hit that button before moving to another table, having the person before me raise, that spot on my screen changes from a check to a call and now I committed a bunch of chips on a hand I would have folded.

U

ucdengboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general I try to always wait a bit on each decision so as to not give away any timing tells wether it be a check, bet, or raise. Pre flop I just fold quickly to move to the next hand quickly unless I am in the blinds. When in the blinds I will still "think about it" even when it is a clear fold.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good advice, don't be too hasty.

M

manyrivers2cross

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
agree with other players, the auto check feature is not the best way to keep other players wondering about your hand. Only time I really use it if I need to take a pee...

A

akjordan16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Auto check

Good point, I can see that as tell.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
agree with other players, the auto check feature is not the best way to keep other players wondering about your hand. Only time I really use it if I need to take a pee...
I usually hit the time clock and make everyone wait while i pee!!!!

M

mioou2011

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree; sometimes opponents raise a little bit and u automatically fold
I think its worth to call on the river or turn maybe the hand looks back to u !!!!!

badboydean00

badboydean00

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
another good 1 is hit the sit out button for a couple or few hands then come back in and people may think """you have strong cards""" even though they may not be the best cards:icon_sant

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I also do this and find that it has such a strong play when you don't hit the check/fold and actually play your hand. As long as you have just a little bit of equity, like 3 of one suit or 3 to a straight, you can catch someone and stack them.

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Great Advice. Thanks

H

horseshoebhole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Other side of the coin

Fish,

I think more often in this case people who click check fold... especially when it's not heads up... generally have a garbage hand. They've mentally checked out and looked back at their televisions until they hear the ring of the chance that it is their turn to act.

I totally see where you're coming from but speaking from my own personal experience... I click check fold when it is a multi player pot and I have no shot at it.

Glad you posted this - i'm going to refrain from doing it in the future.

Travis
BCP - horseshoebhole

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe I'm missing out on a couple of miraculously lucky small pots, but frankly when I've totally missed the flop my main goal is to move on to the next hand as quickly as possible.

That said I have placed some successful bluff bets based on insta-checks of other players.

I have also used auto-check to give the misleading impression that I'm not interested in the hand.

L

lablelarry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On ACR I've accidentally called a few massive bets by clicking the check button as it turns into a call. So make sure there is at least two more players to act before hitting the check button.
Don't you think they should move the button up higher so that doesn't happen, I hate that

cleder7

cleder7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think about it too, so I avoid the automatic buttons. I've already won a few pots watching other players doing it, it's another way to read the game.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I almost never trust that anymore as some players try to use it as a trap just like others try with the inactive bait, you can use it to your advantage but I'd be weary.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks that's helpful advice. I will give it a try.

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure, that's if you plan to play with a hand or a project, but if it's not, simply a better option than folding. But hey, the rest you have told how it should be, the most sophisticated way to fish is with a simple "Check".

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use it a bit.... But I usually play 4 windows +.... and sometimes it's to save time... and sometimes, I have other reason :)s Other reasons generally include, hoping players will make the assumptions you mention.

Folding in Poker