Am I right to shove AA?

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Am right or no?Hey.
I apologize in advance for the terrible grammar, but I think I will be able to convey the idea. And also please do not strongly criticize, this is my first post here, I just get acquainted with the forum.
Let's get started
All educational garbage on the Internet begins with a phrase like a poker game with incomplete information. This suggests that everyone can win poker with both 2 j and aa.
At the same time, it’s usually written there that it’s almost impossible to lose one-on-one with aa.
So I think that this is not so, about the almost impossible. I think that winning with aa is unreal.
But all in order.
Yesterday I had a rich day in tournaments. I think everyone will agree that when you play a lot you often find yourself in a situation where, smiling with the best hand of no-limit hold'em, you hope that your only opponent will want to bluff well enough to reduce this hand to all-in. But in my case, instead of a smile, there was a sad grimace.
I played 5 tournaments in one day. I lost my stacks with AA on my hands, 5/5 heads-up was not in my favor.
By the way, 3 of which I lost to a pair of kk in a fight one-on-one, on the bubble.
Now I am a bit vexed. Did I play correctly when I shoved all my chips on the loot with aa or no ra hands?
Thank.
You haven't given any information regarding the hand and situation.

You were not heads up if you had other players at the table.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA isn’t a 100% winning hand , if you shove and too many players call , it might lose . It s a pre flop hand , so you have to play it well .

X

xRanieri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When it comes to EV, yes. Utility Theory is different

Obviously shoving AA preflop is the best thing to do EV wise. But there is a branch of mathematics that deals with the value of certainty: Utility theory. For example, what of the two options would you rather have:

1. $1,000,000,000

2. A 60% chance at $2,000,000,000

Obviously, option 2, on average, gives more. (.6)(2 bill), but like 99% of people would pick option 1. This situation holds true for very specific poker situations that don't really come up in practice. There's a video on Youtube where a player in a tournament folded AA preflop. This makes sense if just cashing is enough of a huge win for him that the certainty of folding your way to it is more important.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SHOVE AA

You're right now getting just waiting AA and KK is to shove the tournament all waiting and shoving when is short get much call

You need to play more hands in position and making some passed on your game post flop and bet 3 if so on .... Finally need to set volume to make chips for other spots

:jd4:mateuspoker

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AA preflop, is not a binary choice: should I shove or play it out? Odds are, preflop, are in your favor, shoving seems to be the smart choice. It's a snap decision when you finally get dealt AA.
But for value, shoving might not be the way to go. If you shove, and the rest fold, what did you gain, the blinds?
Experience will help you to determine what to do with AA. The slow-play, with small bets, to milk your enemies works, sometimes. Often, your bankroll, how close to ITM you will determine the chance you want to take, even with a "sure thing" like AA.

First post I've seen in this topic that goes a bit beyond "AA is a good hand so try to get it in". Ofcourse, pocket Aces is the best hand in Hold'em preflop, so except for the occasional spot in a satelitte it shouldn't be folded and yes ideally you'd want to get it in. But the key thing to understand is, you can't play (only) aces in a different way than you would play any other hand in that spot.

Let's say a hand is folded to you, and your normal raise in that spot would be 2.2x. If you shove every time you got Aces there you become very exploitable in the long run. Once your opponents catch on to this they will simply fold whenever you're shoving (and if you don't shove aces are immediately out of your range). Try to go for a normal sized raise and play it from there.

Btw I'm not saying you shouldn't vary your raise sizes. Different spots ask for different bet sizing, depending on the villain's tendencies, stage of a tournament, stack sizes etc. But in general the spot you're in should dictate the size of your opening raise instead of the specific hand you have there.

S

shadybizzle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously shoving AA preflop is the best thing to do EV wise. But there is a branch of mathematics that deals with the value of certainty: Utility theory. For example, what of the two options would you rather have:

1. $1,000,000,000

2. A 60% chance at $2,000,000,000

Obviously, option 2, on average, gives more. (.6)(2 bill), but like 99% of people would pick option 1. This situation holds true for very specific poker situations that don't really come up in practice. There's a video on Youtube where a player in a tournament folded AA preflop. This makes sense if just cashing is enough of a huge win for him that the certainty of folding your way to it is more important.
This is deep. This is exactly what I was thinking of when I replied. I just didn't break it down like you did. Awesome explanation

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must remember AA is not invincible, while it is the best hand pre-flop, it can tutn into a disaster when the flop goes down. So keep your wits about youpre-flop and after

Galina

Galina

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ÀÀ

AA is the best preflop poker hand! Play it better aggressively! since you still have an advantage!

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without really knowing any of the other details I can't say that you played the hand wrong as you are the favorite against any other hand.

I would caution to making this move every time you have aces or your opponents will have an easy time knowing what you are up to.

M

Misticblair

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AA is never a fold (unless you're about to crush on bubble on MTT then you consider fold just to avoid cooler) for example I lost at 3rd with AA vs J9o <-- this is such a cooler I wanted to jump out of the window cause guy runned to hit straight. However, as I said at the beginning, AA is fold only when you're about to lose on bubble in some specific situation.

D

DarHasWon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA is a great starting hand it gives you confidence. That being said every situation should be played differently. Just my opinion . I agree with alot of these posts if you read them you will get a good idea what to do
&#55357;&#56833;

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aa

My aces in tourney are 62 percent. In cash 51 percent. I play very aggressive usually all in pre flop. Just amazing how often they lose . Mine usually lose to a lower pair that hit for there set. Happens so often I don't even tilt anymore. I almost don't want to play them because they always end up losing most my chips. Really just a strong pair which is nothing online.

Ropa

Ropa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always lose when i have AA and shove my chips. But that might just be my unluck, never been really lucky person. But that might just be me lol. FeelsBadMan

RutgersOneTime

RutgersOneTime

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cant ask for much more pre-flop than seeing AA

J

joshua360

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA

I agree with the two posts above. I always get my chips in pre-flop with AA and KK. Although, I'm quickly learning to not be overly aggressive when close to the money and I could be busted out if hit with a bad beat. I'm learning to fold everything to large stacks when approaching the bubble. Of coarse this is online play, not live play.

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving AA is not always the right play, no. Sometimes shoving them too quickly will scare away players that you might have extracted more from. But getting your aces all-in against someone preflop is absolutely always the right play, with very very few exceptions. You didn't do anything wrong if you got cracked by KK, you still had a whole lot of value in that play.