Allin Pre-Flop

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask yourself, why would anybody go allin pre-flop, bearing in mind that there is no hand that can't be beaten. Why not wait for the flop and and then go allin.I always feel that they are trying to bluff, and if I have them covered, and have a fairly good hand I'll call. There are a whole raft of conditions to consider, position, stack sizes etc, but usually they were bluffing.

Last edited:
D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They could be bluffing but they could also have a strong hand such as AK, AQ, AJ, or a broadway pair and they want to get the weak hands out of the pot so they don't have to worry about them hitting something.

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Going All-in pre with aces might be a good idea when there are multiple callers / min raises etc, its better than going in a 4/5 way flop and it flops a flush draw.

2nd case would be bluffing a 3-bet by going a 4-bet all-in when you know your opponent has a loose 3bet range and you have a tight image.

So yeah stealing the pot when you have high cards or bluffing.

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still fish, so I have my strong doubts about going all-in preflop, just like you. I feel that despite being ideal to eliminate the bufflers is the fastest way to withdraw from any tournament without anything.

Anyway, I guess it depends on how strong your hand is and, of course, on how big of your stack.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally never shove all in pre-flop.

I see lots of players who shove with any pair, especially queens or better no matter what their stack looks like. Not only does this give away their hand, they become predictable and easier to defend against -- remember, a good fold is a good defense.

I think they just assume the other players are going to call and they'll be able to double up. But, as you mentioned, in the end all they've got is a pair, which is easy to beat on any street.

Basically, I see this kind of behavior as an indicator that the player is a newbie; simply inexperienced. Best thing is to make note of the player's behavior and do your best to eliminate them.

Anyway, good luck at the tables! :)

S

Salavat Kozhakhmetov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
let's say on the middle hand you always need to go all in, such as A J A Q A 9 A10, if your stack is very small, as those who go all in from an early position basically have very strong hands, and wait for the flop is also stupid, you can not get the desired card on the flop and even

shykarno

shykarno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the stage of the game. if the blinds are high and my stack is less than 10 bb, I have all-in with almost any card.

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I push preflop , either I'm reraised and have a good hand or have around 10-15 BB and some marginal hand . But I prefer to play poker rather then "bingo" ! Any 2 can win against any other 2 every time , so I can't blame anybody (dealer,cards,luck) , so rather then going on tilt cause they constantly push or trying to catch them , I prefer to play good poker , and wait for my opportunity to take it all , if possible ;) GL

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Going all in preflop makes it unpredictable for all the players. If you decide to wait for the flop and then shove you could be giving three free cards to marginal hands that would never call the all in preflop. Also, if you keep seeing flops to then give up on shoving you're decreasing your already small stack which makes it easier for the other players to call your all in.

AMTTT

AMTTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not a good idea to go all-in pre-flop, as there is already playing only luck, a lot of hands there, here are two distribution yesterday, I responded to all-in preflop

LVmFQQgl.png

fm6x7wPb.png

Ropa

Ropa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Going all-in pre-flop first hand after tournament started...i just call them Bingo players.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if the tournament is in late stage and you have less than 20 big blinds, you'll have to shove all in pre-flop (with goods hands), if someones call good for you, probably is someone with large stack with medium hands, if everybody folds good for you too just got all antes and blinds. Let's say you're on the button with premium hands (A K) and just calls to see the flop (7 2 10). Someone with weak hands can have the advantage now, because you let them see the flop holding a 7 2, you think someone with 7 2 is going to call the all in move pre flop ?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not a good idea to go all-in pre-flop, as there is already playing only luck, a lot of hands there, here are two distribution yesterday, I responded to all-in preflop

LVmFQQgl.png

fm6x7wPb.png
Other than you being result oriented, I don't see a problem here.

In fact, this should be reason for you to continue to get you big hands in preflop.

Last edited:
el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you played the hands good , only unlucky mate, better luck next time

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop go all in best when you are not on the bubble, but all cases when you have 2 aces or 2 kings is uniquely all in.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask yourself, why would anybody go allin pre-flop, bearing in mind that there is no hand that can't be beaten. Why not wait for the flop and and then go all in.I always feel that they are trying to bluff, and if I have them covered, and have a fairly good hand I'll call. There are a whole raft of conditions to consider, position, stack sizes etc, but usually they were bluffing.
Players can go all in for a lot of reasons pre flop. Jacks not wanting over cards to call and hit a flop. Or even more realistically if no over pairs call and the flop has at least one over card which happens a very large percentage of the time your left in no mans land. Depending on the buy in, number of bb, and level of aggression of other players at the table I've seen super strong hands ship it pre flop. Although you know you'd like to get some value from aces or kings not every player sees scenarios the same way. Unless i have my top 4 hands I never call an all in pre flop, maybe I'm losing some value there but it just seems like setting money on fire to assume they're bluffing.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well with the exception of shoving because you are low on blinds and you are into a push or fold mode, because your blinds dont allow you to play post flop.

There is also the matter of not getting enough value if you dont shove or getting donked or bluffed if your postflop play isnt good.

One example is this.

You have :as4::ac4: and decide not to shove but slow play them. You get called and the flop comes :jh4::10h4::9h4:, now that is a scary board for your aces, opponent can have the straight or the flush already. Now how do you procceed? Shoving is out of question, if you bet and get called you will play turn and river cautiously and go for pot control. You go to showdown and your opponent show a pocket pair of 6. If you shoved preflop he would call with the worst hand and you would get all his stack, but now you won only a small pot.

Now an other example. You have aces again, and the flop is something like :6h4::jh4::5c4:. Your opponent shoves. What you do with aces on that flop? You call. If he had pocket sixes now you lose your stack. If he had 65 you probably lost again, if he is on a draw now he have more possibilities to either call and crack your aces or if lets say he had AK that he would call a preflop shove now if you bet on that flop he will fold and you will win a tiny pot again.

And now thats aces. Kings or Queens are even worse, cause any Ace on the board can kill your action. So you may end up with a little pot or lose big if you decide to slow play a big hand.

Shoving big hands is +ev, especially with all the loose players out there who are willing to call with pocket deuces or Ace high.

Last edited:
M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why not on the bubble?
Because of you can fly away from the tournament, better wait and then if bubble survive
you can play as you wish
If on bubble you have 3 or 5 bb so you can play AA or KK

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask yourself, why would anybody go allin pre-flop, bearing in mind that there is no hand that can't be beaten. Why not wait for the flop and and then go allin.I always feel that they are trying to bluff, and if I have them covered, and have a fairly good hand I'll call. There are a whole raft of conditions to consider, position, stack sizes etc, but usually they were bluffing.
yes I agree with you , u should never go all in preflop specially in cashgame, for tournaments in rare moments, and depends on other important things like position ...

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The reasons players go all-in pre flop is either because stack size is low or more likely try to steal blinds because for example if the player has a medium pocket pair taking it to the flop decreases the value simply because the amount of overcards and amount of players coming in if opting standard 3xbb raise.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of donks go allin preflop early in a tourney because there scared to play post flop
having said that late in the tourney when your less then 10bb left and your have a decent hand and it is folded to you should shove allin do to ICM factors and try to build your chip stack to at least average stack size if not above average chip stack to get ready for a deep tourney run.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get my chips with post flop play and I AVOID the shit out of all-in my biggest tournament leak by far.