all-in with pairs

K

kefiro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone!
What kind of pairs are reasonable to pre-flop all-in in the beggining of the tournament? 99, tt or stronger?
Or i shouldnt raise or call like that anywhere?

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since you only win the few chips in the blinds if the table folds you are apparently hoping someone will call you. In the early stage of a tournament the weaker players are all in play. They might call with suited connectors and take you out with a flush or straight. They will often call with Ax and when another A hits the board your pair is toast. The stronger players will mostly fold but if they call what would they have? Most likely a better pair. Either way your shove early in the tourney is an unnecessary gamble.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at the begging of the tournament? preflop? I would say only KK and AA. but other than that blinds are too small and you can easily see a flop with QQ or lower to see if you hit a set or something. but other than that AA and KK or AK will go all in and QQ or lower have lower possibilities of winning. if you have QQ or lower its good to make bet to try to have people to fold or see if they have better hand strength than you in which then you can call a raise if it doesn't compromise most of your chip stack or see if your pair gets stronger at the flop. now as the tournament gets later and later and blinds are bigger and bigger. it's more reasonable to go all in with lower pairs depending on position and you will have more chances for your pair to hold up.

L

luki_jakdo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone!
What kind of pairs are reasonable to pre-flop all-in in the beggining of the tournament? 99, tt or stronger?
All in is always a risky option but I would rather slowplay it.... its more safe than risking a call from AA or KK. If you have less than 10 BB's left i would use your strategy to just go all in because it would safe your life if you double or tripple up :D

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone!

I won't go all-in with 99 and tt pre-flop. It would be too risky at the beginning of the tournament. The important thing is to stay in the tournament and i won't risk elimination.
Same will be my attitude with JJ and QQ. I will try to see the flop.
With KK i will raise considerably but won't go all-in unless i am forced to do that.
With AA things are different. I will never go all-in first. I would prefer others go all-in and i will respond.

theheeb1984

theheeb1984

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone!

As others will attest, going all-in with a pocket pair and what that pair is depends on what is happening. If it is a heads-up, then it is easier to do but not worth it as the blinds are very small unless it is a Hyper Turbo or something. In the Hyper Turbo, I would say even any pair for a 3 man or less game would be fine. If 6 handed, then 88 is ok to do and not many will bat an eye for as low as a 55 provided there was action beforehand. If you are doing this in a regular 9 player table and you have a ton of blinds, then you need to reevaluate your play style and what you are trying to achieve. I would hold to KK+ and only if there was a few plays of action that give you a desire to steal the pot or risk it all.

K

kefiro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
so, r u thinking that allin in the beggining isnt good idea?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the beginning of a tournament everyone should be pretty deep still so to rationally go all in you should have a strong belief you will get called. Otherwise you are doing it as a buff which is very risky or you are doing it since you have a very strong hand but likely wont get called and are losing big value. So to go all in early you would need to have a very strong hand and also the strong opinion that someone will call. If you dont think they will call, just raise and try to get some action with your strong holdings. If you think there are players who are that loose that will call big bets then you should only be going with very strong hands which would depend on position, how loose the intended villain is etc. To simplify it, just only go all in with KK+ if you really think there is a villain who will call.

K

kefiro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ok, ty for ur answers, dudes.
ill try it

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not worth going all-in at the beginning of a tournament. Unless you have very few chips. Depending on the amount of chips, which cards go all-in. There are tables that show this.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It depends ......
there are just a lot of components to consider. There is no single answer to your question.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Someone tonight thought it was ok to go all in against my AA. They had a pair of 10's and were rewarded with 10 on the flop. So I was sent to the rails early tonight.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in? Preflop? I don't see the logic ...

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone!

You can play Allin with any pairs. In the end, everything will be decided by random. Sometimes you're lucky, but sometimes you're not. It's very simple-you can't give a correct answer to your question. I can't affirmatively answer Yes or no. Therefore, do as your intuition tells you.

I

Ivan Zaruba

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not at all a fan of going all-in preflop early in the tournament, unless the tournament is expensive or there is no interest in playing (sometimes this happens) ....

KasyakoFF

KasyakoFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at the start of the tournament, I check with pocket pairs! immediately need to check the flop! and then you can take a walk))

Last edited:

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only KK and AA can be played for the stack at the beginning of the tournament, all other hands are too weak to risk being knocked out of the tournament.