All-in with JJ preflop in early tournament stages?

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with that, but also need to add a structure. For example if it's 15 min blinds level deep stack for $55+, I'd say it's a fold, you have still so much of time to outplay your villains instead of gambling right now.
But if we play $3 turbo with re-buys, it's a different thing. Call without thinking, as the vast majority of players in those would do shove with a weakers hands.
It really depends.

Do you know what highrollers think about JJ? They never fold it, and in a 3bet pot it's always pre-flop all-in, against any opponent. I'm observing high roller games for several years each time when I play poker. I met one of the polish pros during last SCOOP in $11 bounty, he had JJ, i had AA... check what happened:

starting stack is 25K, both of us have approx 500K = approx 100bb "SosickPL" bets 2.2bb in utg1, table is very chatty, guy in mid position 3bets, another player after him calls, I'm on the button holding aces and 4bet x5 that last bet. SosickPL instantly shoves, other guys fold, I call.. JJ vs AA, flop is T Q K, turn is blank, river is A, he makes a straight, players in MP who folded after that hand said that one of them had 99, other one had AK. Is there a need to say that hitting such str8 draw flop is like less than 1% chance, and we can easily calculate that he has 3 outs after the flop. That's sick isn't it? I knew that this tourney was like a freeroll to him, but still, he opened with 2.2BB, saw a 3bet-4bet, and shoves 100bb stack with JJ. What's the logic? He was thinking that he's against 3 opponents each holding AK or something?

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with that, but also need to add a structure. For example if it's 15 min blinds level deep stack for $55+, I'd say it's a fold, you have still so much of time to outplay your villains instead of gambling right now.
But if we play $3 turbo with re-buys, it's a different thing. Call without thinking, as the vast majority of players in those would do shove with a weakers hands.
It really depends.

Well, honestly... being 100% honest I would say that MY decision depends on sharkscope data and opponents behavior at the table. Tourneys with 22-109 buy-ins have all my focus and attention, and if some fish there shoving early in the tournament without a good reason - I will call it with JJ any time. Players of all kinds like to get as much value as possible from hands like AA and KK, so more likely they will 3bet instead of going all-in pre-flop. So, it's more likely that fish has shoving range of 22-QQ, A-rags, KQ-JK... And since JJ is on top and dominates most of the hands of this range - then it's an easy call.

What sharkscope data says is the key. I wouldn't perform such call if opponent has played less than 100-200 MTTs with -50% ROI in total... Not much info! The best opponent in such case is the one who plays 1K+ tourneys per year (3-7 per day) during several years and currently has a long losing streak, like 5-10 days long, it means that he's probably on tilt during these days (or maybe even during his whole poker career).

However... pokerstars loves to reward imbeciles shoving their trash hand with incredible post-flop twists, like giving them a prize for starting the action. Recently got screwed in 11 and 22 bounties:

In $11 bounty some schimpanze shoves against my pocket aces with Q2os and hits Queen on the flop and one more at the river. Any comments?

and the sickest hand happened in the 22 bounty. 3-way flop, I'm holding aces again, flop is Ah Jh Qs, smaller stack checks, I bet 60%, bigger stack behind me goes all-in, smaller stack goes all-in, I call... Smaller stack has 8h 9h = flush draw. Biggest stack has 33 = trash underpair to the flop. I'm like "YEAH" Cause I'll have the same amount of chips even if smaller stack makes his flush. And the turn card is 3h = smaller stack makes his flush, and the river is.... 3 of clubs! = bigger stack makes runner-runner quads!! Sick reward for pushing all-in first.

JOINMYTABLE

JOINMYTABLE

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely yes. Very comfortable range at all.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
... Players of all kinds like to get as much value as possible from hands like AA and KK, so more likely they will 3bet instead of going all-in pre-flop.

I think you nailed it here. This has been my experience as well.

Therefore if you 3bet JJ pre flop and you get 4bet about the same amount that you raised, you should consider folding rather than 5 bet/jamming. Alternately I guess you could always call and hope to flop a J knowing full well that you are likely behind if you dont.

Of course this too will one day change as the game is always evolving but for now it will likely serve you well.

Vlad535_100

Vlad535_100

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is poker? A card game in which more capable liars take money from less gifted liars, all of whom pretend to be bosom friends.

B

Biibel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning of a tournament without Rebuy would you pay an all-in with JJ after giving a 3-bet on an opponent?

Why would you? Absolutly not. 4bet fine, but i would just call. JJ is no AA you know, and if you get called after jamming, you MOST LIKELY are losing the % or at max get coin flip.

Don't do it. Chips are more valuable late in tournament, you cain nothing with jamming medi hand.