All-in or Fold?

D

Dellamora999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you usually go all-in pre-flop? What hands do you usually go all-in?
In short stack games I believe the only way is to go all-in if you want to have an advantage.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This greatly depends on many other variables to consider. Here are a few of them:

- What is my skill advantage versus my current opponents? If I perceive myself as the stronger poker player, then I should be less likely to go All-in because my chance of outplaying them later is higher. Playing a pro, or tough table, should incentivise All-In more often as the chance of me being exploited would increase as this game continues.

- How big is my advantage with this All-in? A premium holding like pocket aces (AA) are better worth getting all of my chips in with than less than marginal holdings I should likely fold (like J4o).

- What are the payout implications? A winner-take-all format should be a different strategy than an MTT with a money bubble...

- What is the effective stack? Shoving All-in with your last Big Blind in chips makes a lot of sense; All-in preflop might be suicidal at a much deeper stack, unless you have a super strong holding like AA or KK. If we have 100 Big Blind effective stack, then even a hand like JJ could be crushed...despite this being an "easy All-in" shallower stacked (maybe 10-20 bbs deep JJ is all right, but not a lot deeper)

- Table image of yourself and everyone else around you. Your All-in isn't going to get much credit if you've been splashing chips all game, but a rock NIT playstyle might be able to shove a different range of hands profitably.

* There are many more possible things to consider too: Tournament ICM (if a tournament), mindset/tilt of you and others, game format cash game vs MTT matters a lot and many more things.

No one said poker was simple (or that all of these considerations are thought in every shove), but the more information you have, then ideally the better informed decisions you can make :)

Hope my long post and examples are helpful :)

M

mmmmma

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends... but inicially I don't usually go all-in
Too risky

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well , all in is a very strong move , because you put your life in the tournament at risk . I think there are dozens of situations where you can go all in considering the correct play to make . Some examples are All ins close to the blind in order to win blinds. Or even trying to get called by worse hands to double or triple the stack lol ;):cool:

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The time when you should go all-in is all-in.

D

Dellamora999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends... but inicially I don't usually go all-in
Too risky

It really is very risky, but depending on the hand and how the other players are going to receive this all in it can become very profitable

D

Dellamora999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well , all in is a very strong move , because you put your life in the tournament at risk . I think there are dozens of situations where you can go all in considering the correct play to make . Some examples are All ins close to the blind in order to win blinds. Or even trying to get called by worse hands to double or triple the stack lol ;):cool:

at the beginning of the tournament with strong hands, I tripled the stack many times, which helped me throughout the tournament, and having more chips than the others, I could use this to my advantage to intimidate and destabilize the weaker players

Maximus1980340

Maximus1980340

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
absolutely right, I go for broke without hesitation if I have either a pair or AV AD AK in my hands:)

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Players go all-in in different situations - with a strong hand, in a bluff or with a small amount of chips. Players go all-in in pre-flop poker with a pocket pair or high cards. Experienced poker players play a narrow range of hands, while weak players play a wide range. All-in before the flop is also used to take the pot without a showdown.

Folding in Poker