AK all in preflop!!!

A

adrianB1989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you go all in with AK(suited or not) preflop in early stage of a poker tournament?
I really am nervous playing this hand in general and now I learned to fold the hand into an all in situation:)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would not go all in with AK early on. However in other stages, it not a bad play.

Artur22277

Artur22277

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play AK very carefully because this hand can destroy your entire stack.

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I have AK, the highest card on the flop is a Ten, so definetily not.

shinmenkami

shinmenkami

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You really have to think in a matter of blinds. Every time you want to go all in think: i have 100 big blinds, should i play only this hand or play 100 hands? Naturally when your stack is getting smaller or the blinds getting higher the shove decision becomes easyer

Flower2211

Flower2211

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Going all-in preflop with AK is, in principle, very dangerous, because even 22 will be older than your cards. You need to be able to fold such cards. Well, a lot depends on your opponent's playing style. If he constantly plays and puts all in often, then it makes sense to play, and if he is a calm player, then it is not necessary.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a strong hand only preflop but sometimes it is greatly overvalued and in the initial stages of a tournament putting them all into the pot is a bad move, because there is still a lot of tournament ahead and you will have more opportunities to play and accumulate chips.

U

Ultfrozen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To go all in with ak when you have 100 or 200 blinds, especially when someone has already done all in before you and after you there are many more people, is not exactly the best idea, but the situation is different if you are on the big blind e and before you there were many opens without 3 bets, then it is possible to push. I can afford to push a stake if I have the largest stack and there are several people in the game for whom I will get a good bounty, if they have 20-30 blinds, for example, and I have 40-60, then this is an easy call.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never raise it all-in pre, rather to make a call and see flop
But probably would make a call, depends on the tournament

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it depends on the situation but I have never felt bad about busting out of a tournament with AK suited. I have gone busto with far worse hands.

K

klaus210dieter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends of my stack and the stack of the others if i go all in pre with it. Its one of the 5 best starting hands , so its very good , but u depend on ur luck-skill too to win a call

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Its not a good play early on, but when you have big stack at table with loose players I go all in with ak or any pair. When blinds are really big I do it a lot. Also when its bubble time I'm all in with ak.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Some of the things I think about:
Can I get to the flop cheap? Right flop, no problem.
Is it worth it early on? Most likely not.
Am I already short stacked?
Do I want to stay in the game longer?
Is the one play worth my whole stack?
If I go all-in, am I crazy? Probably.

Cheers!

W

Well Enuff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you go all in with AK(suited or not) preflop in early stage of a poker tournament? ...

Adrian.
The answer to your question does not depend on the AK.
Generally if you want to be still in tournament late you should probably avoid early preflop pushes.
AK would not change my mind.

Rule of Thumb: You cannot win a tournament on the first hand.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Why to put in danger the game from the beggining? I wouldn't go all in at the beggining!

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually not

Would you go all in with AK(suited or not) preflop in early stage of a poker tournament?
I really am nervous playing this hand in general and now I learned to fold the hand into an all in situation:)

Ak is great but you gotta be careful picking them all ins. Ill do it if i get the best price possible wether its heads up or threeway. Pots odds that you are getting laid should always be considered.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Allin preflop with a full stack AK hand is played only by someone who is very poorly versed in the game and does not know how to play postflop. I wish everyone to understand the theory and have a great skill in poker in order to win big money and not deny yourself anything.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot ODDS

No one is saying it so i will. pot odds should always be considered. if your heads up call everytime your getting 1.8 to 1 or better. 3way pot make sure you are getting your correct return. No one takes in to account the simplest of answers.

W

Well Enuff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No one is saying it so i will. Pot odds should always be considered.
Eaglaces gives you great advice.
That certainly works for your chip stack in a cash game, but you have to remember that in tournaments [which what the OP was about] you also have to manage the payout ladder.

So in the simplest case 2 to 1 odds may be very good odds to bet, but it may not be wise to make the bet on the bubble. In tournies you cannot just reach into your pocket to play more after you are felted. Tournament bubble decisions mean the difference between SOME money and NO money. When you calculate those odds it is a hell of a big number.

You all be careful out there.

Last edited:
G

glebchekotin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it only in bounties vs low stakes or when im tilted :D

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If playing a freeroll, all in with A K at an early stage might not be the worst idea, especially if there aren't multiple all in's. Just be mentally prepared for the chance it goes south. As others have said, A K is the hand most money is lost, so is to be played with caution. Cheers

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hey Mate,

There are a lot of factors that determine when you want to get all in with AK vs when yo want to fold it

Here's a very popular video i've made on the hand that I hope will help you out!

It will always depend on who made the raises ahead of you, and what types of hands they're willing to get all in with that will determine if you should be getting all in or not.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes you are right this card is very risky in the game. I always play with her carefully.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK has near 50% to win, it's useful to steal blind when u all-in preflop with AK. it's a strategy, too.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would you go all in with AK preflop in early stage of a poker tournament if it was a freeroll but if it was a buy in it would depend on the situation.