AK, AA: raise or limp?

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't want to say NEVER limp with your monsters but I think you do need to qualify when you do. As others have already said, alarm bells go off for them when someone limps from early and they are going to be on guard so you have to set it up well.

#1 - Be very aware of your table image (god knows your opponents sure are, consciously or not). Decnt players who range their oppnents are going to pick thses plays off pretty easily if you don't set them up properly. Such as a bunch of limp, limp, limp, fold at turn, fold at flop. You need to make sure your limp with AA has zero credibility. If it's the first time limping in the game, don't do it. If you got caught limping a monster already, don't do it.

#2 - The biggest problem is this trap becomes a default play for a lot of players. Sending a telegraph that says, "Please join me in this pot. I have made it easy for you by betting my monster light." The you turn around and 5x TT. Way too predictable. You should be aware of how many times your trying to execute this play. Anything more than one out of ten times is excessive. I lean more to one out of 20.

#3) Stop using "disguising your hand" as an excuse to do this so often. As stated before it's as much a disguise as those glasses with a fake nose. It just screams FAKE. Also it is not a very good strategy. The hands you want to disguise are those spec hands and less than awesome hands you end up going to the flop with. You do that by showing the table you bet your monsters so you can also bet your weaker holdings and put some fear into the table when you do.

#4) Qualifiers - short handed. Say three left at final table - it's a great time to trap that aggro (but if he saw you already do it when the blinds were 25-50...).
Not short stacked. A short stack who should be shoving all of a sudden limps from UTG - HELLO MONSTER!!! Just shove and pray they think you are making a move with J8 (which is actually far more likely than AA).
On the button or SB - okay maybe here because it seems more natural. It has come around to you in the button or SB and it looks pretty natural that you would like to see a flop. BB says not on my dime and raises or shoves - BINGO.

#5) People take notes (this is why you need to monitor how many times you attempt this). I have noted any and every player I have caught limping their monsters - BUT putting a note on players who caught you in the act has big value down the road also. Just today I executed a value bet river bluff with air. But the other player called me. WTF?? I won the hand anyway?!? AHHHH... He paid to see what I had and he came after me hard after that. If hes that smart then he is smart enough to make a note on me. So I put a note on him that he caught me red handed and will look forward to getting in hands with me. I have no credibility with this guy so when I have the nuts against him I will do what I can to make it look suspiciously bluffy.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold, it just boosts your image......

(OK, I have been drinking)

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary