Aggressive vs. PAssive

sergui72

sergui72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I noticed that the aggressive ones at the beginning of the tournament mostly fly out.

zorro222_zorro222

zorro222_zorro222

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think it depends on your opponents as well, if you are playing at a table with very passive players then playing a little more aggressively will be optimal, if you are playing with players that are very aggressive then being passive will be optimal.

JohnWayne329

JohnWayne329

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Never trie to bluff over a fish. If you are a low limit player - here's your mindset should be :)

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Use both.....pick your spots.

Play passively until you get into a hand, then be aggressive, especially in early position.

001Jaguar

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I noticed that the aggressive ones at the beginning of the tournament mostly fly out.
Good point I noticed that too lol I usually don’t bluf agressive but whenever I do that always fly out 😂

Q

Queen Anna 777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would say first one couse if u just waiting u loose

TCHUCO2005

TCHUCO2005

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sergi72 said it all, usually the aggressive player does well at the beginning of tournaments, but I believe that at low buy-in tables and micros, whoever has cash left will pay and can eliminate the aggressive player right there in front.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on your particular opponents,

Agression with draws and air is good in games where opponents overfold. (Tight passive opponents)
Agression with value hands is good if players overcall. (Loose passive opponents)
Passive with draws is good if players overcall. (Loose passive opponents)
Passive with value is good if it induces aggressive players to bluff. (tight or loose aggressive opponents).

In many low stake games players can quickly be classified into tight passive; tight aggressive; loose passive; or loose aggressive. So then you pick your line based on who is in the pot with you and your position relative to passive/agressive opponents.

S

StressMit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slightly aggressive seems to be better in the long run.

D

DaHawk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all situational. Just depends on your opponent. Adapt to your opponents

F

FlushKings311

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

I'd say I am aggressive because of my competitive nature. I like to win.so I love to go for the jugular which is weird because outside of poker I am the opposite.

det0nate

det0nate

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
aggressive aggressive aggressive
oh did i say ...
Aaggressiveeeee

YuriDitz

YuriDitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually alternate these styles to make it harder for opponents to understand my game. If you play one style all the time, you will be easy to read and beat, I think.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Better to be aggressive than passive since you can’t win without putting pressure. However aggression cannot be confused with reckless. There are calling stations waiting for aggressive players bluffing.

ProblemPlaya

ProblemPlaya

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All the experts approve either a LAG or a TAG style of play. Loose and aggressive or tight and aggressive. Passive play is a big leak in one's game. Makes sense, right? You either win when you have the best hand or when everybody else folds. That is the advantage of aggression. Playing passive just allow the opponents to improve their holdings without a significant cost.

however, have you noticed at the micros the last few years the fish are the aggressive ones and that the good players trap more?

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with the sentiment in this thread that you should play tighter in cash games since the blinds don't go up. Tournaments are a different animal as your opponents can greatly influence you plays, especially late in an event.

One thing I have struggled with is opening my range more when I get short handed, but hopefully I can improve on that aspect of the game.

C

CaioBandeiraGomes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive

Aggressive for sure, it's not the same thing as being maniac, the ideal is to adapt to the temperature of the table, but I'm still an apprentice.

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds easy but it isn't but the reality is the same if you be aggressive than you have more chances than your opponent for sure as he will fold in later street most of the time.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There needs to be a balance between playstyles that should come from or be based on the texture of the board and the actions of the opponents.

Kennemelo

Kennemelo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There needs to be a balance between playstyles that should come from or be based on the texture of the board and the actions of the opponents.

I personally stick to a creative and aggressive style, for which I can often get a decent cooler from calmer and more seasoned players. to each his own!

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
loose passive players also often finish quickly due to the fact that they climb into all the hands in a row and limp from any position) poker is a situational game here it is important to change the style of the game depending on the structure of the tournament and the growth of the blinds