After 9 years I realized I am actually bad at poker...How do I fix it?

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It seems to me, I understood after 2-3 years.
But now, obviously my game is better.
I try keep learning.

haiiG

haiiG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm playing poker regulary since 2018 only, so I know I'm BAD at it and there's a lot of for me to learn. 9 years is a bit too long to realise that :D

Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should watch more YouTube videos, you can learn a lot watching pros and listening to the commentators (Mike Sexton being the best one).

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How did you evaluate good vs bad? Did you find you had to keep depositing? ;)

It's good to finally get honest with oneself about these things. Numbers never lie, as they say. Keep great track of your bankroll and investments in poker.

Study more than you play.

And invest in your game and yourself if you want to get better.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I came to this realisation as well when I first researched playing professionally. I realized how much I didn't know about the game.

Adter months of studying: I still find myself making mistakes.

This game is ever changing and the only way to stay sharp is to keep studying and reviewing your hands for leaks.

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At least you made it! The secret it's not getting to a objective criteria about when you're good or bad. The secret is to always be humble and think of yourself as badder than the rest so it forces you to always study and always learn something new

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you ask people "what does it mean to be bad at poker?" I think you are going to get a wide variety of answers because it is a very subjective judgement. Only a small percentage of people who ever play the game are able to make a profit from it. So if that is how you judge a good or bad player, the vast majority of us are going to fall on the bad side.

I would ask: What makes a good student? Someone who accepts that they are always going to be a student and who will always be prepared to learn, grow, and advance as a student in whatever discipline or subject they choose. This means being realistic about your strengths and weaknesses and understanding them enough to know where to focus your efforts of improvement. It is also a good idea to remember that how much and how fast you advance and improve is less important than actually accomplishing the tasks of advancing and improving.

To be a better poker player you have to be a better student; if you want to get better you should put more time into studying.