Afraid of JJ

brunonick269

brunonick269

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is a hand that I have some fear to play. I have the fear of play slow and get easy to someone pay eith a bad ha d like Q7, K2, and make a pair bigger than mine. And I have the fear of play hard and someone eith AQ give all in and get a good equity and make a pair too. I just lost right now the bohnty builder 0.55 with JJ. What you have to do with this hands?? And what do they you do to get over the this fear?? Have an hand they you have fear to play, and why??

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you see ppl pushing small pairs often you can’t be scared to play jacks hard at times depending on the spot and what you see winning

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you need to be afraid of it, just cautious. It's the fifth best starting hand so it has some power. But, just like AA, it's only a pair. The dynamic changes with each street. Anyway, there's an article somewhere on here about set mining. Not bad to have a set with Jacks :)

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think JJ is a nice starting hand but you have to be ready to fold it. Preflop I either flat or small bet and see what comes. If I hit, I am golden more often than not. Its to big a risk to take to be aggro with JJ unless you are super big stacked and everyone else at table is struggleing to stay alive or sometimes its a nice bubble hand as as well. I really play JJ with the same caution I play AJ with.

M

mollymaggie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ

When I get JJ I always put in a raise 1st to flush out the weak hands 2d it will let me see who has a hand usually if a player has AA KK QQ they'll go over the top of me and I'll fold. my intention is to get to the flop and see if a J hits but I'll never shove a JJ too risky

L

Lieutenant_OH7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to push a lot with cards like JJ & TT as a lot of players do, but now it would depend, I've too often had bad flops with overcards that I'd rather not push, or at least not re-raise preflop. 3Bet would have to be at least queens.

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is a hand that I have some fear to play. I have the fear of play slow and get easy to someone pay eith a bad ha d like Q7, K2, and make a pair bigger than mine. And I have the fear of play hard and someone eith AQ give all in and get a good equity and make a pair too. I just lost right now the bohnty builder 0.55 with JJ. What you have to do with this hands?? And what do they you do to get over the this fear?? Have an hand they you have fear to play, and why??

I have a fear and hate to play with hands like A10, A9,A8. Every time I am playing with such kind of hands I am pretty sure that the other player who is against me is having Ace with a better kicker. Most of the times can not avoid losing a lot of my stack.:D Sometimes in the big stages of a tournament when I receive such kind of hands I am folding them without any thoughts. What to do with hands you have fear to play - fold them always, especially if you are having time for more and more hands to play. When you have a fear of some hand that means you should not play with it because you will make a wrong decision then.
Also, if you want to win or succeed in poker, you should be more risky and aggressive, because with fear in poker nobody can succeed.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there

Fear, anger, excitment, and all feelings are very dangerous at a table
Obviously me too suffer from these things
Impossible to stay away from it
But the best thing is get away from them
If you can....then you play improves a lot
Rgds

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There is only a 14.6% chance someone at a 9 player table has QQ+ or AK. That means your JJ is good 85% of the time pre flop. Bet aggressively.

After the flop, much depends on position. If you have position, you can usually win the pot with a CBet (I would bet all flops except 2 over cards).
Out of position, check and decide, or donk bet and see what villain does. Remember the flop only hits the villain's hand 1 in 3 times.

There is no reason to be scared of any hand. JJ is a great starting hand.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What about TT? 99 ?

Same fear? Same results?

What about QQ ? One notch higher.

Freewka6101129

Freewka6101129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a lot depends on how to play JJ, if the table is tight, then you need to play more aggressively, and if your opponents are aggressive, it is better to play carefully

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The JJ hand is better to play aggressively on the preflop and preferably stay against one opponent, and further down the range to determine whether the flop helped the opponent, play more carefully when the overcard comes out, but do not forget that the overcard on the Board still means that it helped the opponent.

In difficult situations, a check raise on the flop will give you a lot of information about the real strength of your opponent's hand and can save you from unwanted bets on the turn followed by an all-in on the river.:)

brunonick269

brunonick269

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What about TT? 99 ?

Same fear? Same results?

What about QQ ? One notch higher.
In case of QQ I dont have this fear because the chance of winning is much bigger even if it is only one card up. But TT and 99 I have this fear, but a lot of less because I know the chance of someone have a pair bigger than mine big.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is one of the most difficult hands to play so it's natural you have fear about it. If you are not certain how to play it from early position I would suggest to only limp in, hoping to get a set and abandon it if you don't make it. From later positions you can raise and see what your opponents do when overcards hit the board. If they bet, you could also give up on it easily. This way it won't be as profitable as it could be, but you will be closing down a leak you could have with it. Not that many players are profitable with pocked jacks.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m the same way. I try to think of the hand like tens. Don’t put too much value in it, cause you can easily bust with it. I will fold this hand/play it safe sometimes if my opponent comes off as very strong. It’s just not wroth it sometimes. Either it’s a coin flip or I’m beat.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to fear JJ , but I actually find it easy to play these days. Obviously raise preflop to start with,

Then on the flop, I simply choose from 5 categories :

- No cards higher than Jack, I probably have the best pair,
- J in the flop, great
- Q or K but no A , Still probably good, but proceed with caution
- A on the flop - proceed with caution and accept it may no longer be any good if there's betting.

Obviously there's other things going on with suits and connectedness etc, but you get the idea. Overall I find it a hand where I can get a good sense of where I'm at.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With jacks what I will do is put a raise then see the flop. When the flop is favourable then I will play more streets but easier said than done. Hard to lose money after put in raise. Hardest but right thing to do is fold when you think you are beat. You don't want to put good money only to burn your stack.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is only a 14.6% chance someone at a 9 player table has QQ+ or AK. That means your JJ is good 85% of the time pre flop. Bet aggressively.

After the flop, much depends on position. If you have position, you can usually win the pot with a CBet (I would bet all flops except 2 over cards).
Out of position, check and decide, or donk bet and see what villain does. Remember the flop only hits the villain's hand 1 in 3 times.

There is no reason to be scared of any hand. JJ is a great starting hand.

I agree with this, but I didn't know the exact math behind it; thanks for sharing that. Yeah, I realized JJ was really a strong starting hand. I just think the reason many have trouble with it is because they over-value it and treat it like KK or AA - which it is not. Similar, but not quite as good. You have to be able to fold JJ if the heat comes on the hand too quickly. Same might apply for QQ+ too, but depending on stack sizes, you are much more likely to virtually never fold those hands. Unless deep-stacked, or situational, KK+ is most definitely worth playing for the rest of your chips. JJ on the other hand requires a bit more caution.