advice for a MTT player

isohatedis

isohatedis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i started playing poker online entering freerolls,so as a result i have adapted my game to suit this but now i am also starting to play cash games(micro stakes)and its like my brain is still stuck in MTT mode and i seem to lose patience(which i dont in MTTs)and also have a tendency to go all in with good cards and just notice my style of play is completely different to the vast majority of players.is it a case of all poker players have to find their (niche)or kind of game that suits them best and i got lucky and found mine early and should stick with MTT play?or should i just play and try to adjust my style in the micro stakes? also has anyone else experienced this and if so whatdid they do to get past it?

medeiros13

medeiros13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i started playing poker online entering freerolls,so as a result i have adapted my game to suit this but now i am also starting to play cash games(micro stakes)and its like my brain is still stuck in MTT mode and i seem to lose patience(which i dont in MTTs)and also have a tendency to go all in with good cards and just notice my style of play is completely different to the vast majority of players.is it a case of all poker players have to find their (niche)or kind of game that suits them best and i got lucky and found mine early and should stick with MTT play?or should i just play and try to adjust my style in the micro stakes? also has anyone else experienced this and if so whatdid they do to get past it?

You sound a lot like me; only I didn't do freerolls to start my BR. My opinion is to stick with what you are good at. If for some reason, cash games aren't working, try STT's or MTT's. Personally, I prefer tournaments because I feel like if I'm even stacked with all players from the start that I'll eventually outplay them. I tried the ring games because I heard there are so many fish and so much money to be made but it didn't work that well for me. So, I then tried STT's and found my niche. This was my bread and butter for quite awhile; so I played these to increase my BR and played one ring game while a SNG was going. This helped me improve my ring game play and kept me patient in the SNG.

So where does that leave me now? I've taken the leap into MTT's and have done fairly well. I have a few cashes in MTT's but not the BIG one that I'm looking for. While doing my MTT's, I've lost my feel for SNG's. 9 man SNG's were my bread and butter for awhile but lately, I can't find the feel for them. Now, I've been doing 18 man and 27 mans and the results have been better. I've also found a niche playing PLO or PLO8 ring games too. I'm not great at ring games but they help supplement my BR and keep me occupied during a card dead stretch in the tournaments I'm playing.

This is a long winded way of saying do what you're good at. It's okay to delve into other games/formats to improve your overall poker play but be aware of how you make your money. If you are going to do MTT's, make sure you are using good BR management. MTT's are so volitile that you could go through a stretch of not cashing and if there's nothing to fund this, your BR could suffer.