Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good afternoon. How do you play with AA before flop in starting positions to avoid surprises?

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're a beginner, AA is definitely the one hand that you should just keep raising with pre-flop. Getting all your chips in the middle before the flop comes down is never going to be a mistake, although you will lose sometimes.

Playing AA after the flop and on the other streets is where some experience is needed.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA is no different than other "premium hands" like KK, QQ, JJ, AK and so on. For ALL of these, we want to build the pot by "ramming and jamming" (betting and re-raising for value, or isolation) in most situations. The only subtle difference with AA from the other premium holdings is that AA is literally the best possible hand in value preflop. If your hand is literally the best possible hand it could be at that moment, then your goal should be how to get as many chips into the pot as possible :cool: How you go about this depends on many factors, but usually it is just straight-forward betting and raising.

Just remember that AA doesn't ensure a win, it is roughly 85% versus any random 2 cards, so AA will still lose about 15% of the time and there is nothing we can really do to handle that - other than just accepting it.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to get your opponent all-in preflop, if you can't, Unfortunately in poker there is nothing certain and hand equity can change a lot after the flop, but a rainbow flop is the best for AA.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With AA, as with any other hand that does not go beyond the opening range, opens from a specific position with a raise or reraise.

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good afternoon, those who know say that you should play calmly, measuring the amount of bets to be made to keep the pot of the villain who pays, quite the opposite of going all in one.

G

ginutzza

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is best to go all in preflop, many times I lost playing aces, but no matter how you play them you have to be lucky ....

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At micro/low stakes, where players don't have enough discipline, just 3-bet AA for value. A lot of players try to play AA tricky by limp-reraising or setting traps by calling, which is sub-optimal in most cases and ends up minimizing the value of your aces.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Very aggressively.

3bet, 4bet, all-in. Especially at the microstakes slowplaying pocket AA is not a good thing to do.

The American Airlines need to be played for big stacks.

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard Strategy

When I am one of the first to bet with pocket aces I will bet the standard 3X the blind

this will usually knock out some weak hands that might get lucky hits

then, if someone makes a large raise, I can hopefully draw them in with the
all-in

works most of the time

TC

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The standard play would be to raise or to 3-bet with AA. One on hand to get more money in the pot, on the other hand to protect you from too many callers. That being said, there are some situations, where you can slow play AA (e.g. in the battle of the blinds). The more experience you get, the more you know about how to play big pairs :)

sweet_danutz

sweet_danutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if I get AA usually play all in, if I wait for the flop I may be beaten by the straight or 3 pieces, it is not good to let all the players play in such a hand :smile:

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
raise 3x and take it from there

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket Rockets Pre flop

What a dream… so much fun waking up with AA pre-flop. You have to raise and hope that you get a few players engaged without scaring them away. Don’t slow play them- its not worth the risk of someone hitting garbage on the flop - and cracking your AA.

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow or Go?

Many people will shove with pocket aces

that strategy tends to remove weak hands
that could suck out on you after the flop

but it also can leave you with nothing but the blinds
for your big hand

Personally, I like to slow play AA, KK with just a 2 or 3 BB bet
then see if the flop improves my hand before I go all-in

TC

P

plan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Holdem I play mostly freerolls, sometimes inexpensive MTTs. Depending on the table, if there is an aggressor after you, you can just call, hoping for a raise and then all-in. I play PLO8 for money. There, AA is just a pair, which is easy loses to a maniac with suit A or middle ranks.

B

benrasberry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember to "never do the same thing the same way all of the time" with aces, but in general, you really prefer for there to be more money in the pot pre-flop. In deep stacked cash games, you may find that deception can be your friend, so long as you don't hero call your opponent to triple barrel bets too often with just a pair of aces if a lot of money is going into the pot. In tournaments you should just raise and bet from early positon most of the time because more players will have an incentive to re-raise your bet (especially short stacks), then you can just 4-bet or go all in.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play AA like other premium hands to avoid playing the cards face up.

T

thesternburglar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise them in no matter what position is. If there are 5 callers of BB and you are next to act then raise double the pot or even shove. The more players in the hand the less reliable AA are to win.