AA

amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When, if ever, do you fold pocket AA before the flop?

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you have a passing stack in the satellite on the bubble, then you can easily fold, playing AA in this case does not make much sense, also if (hypothetically) 5-6 people went all in before you, then you can also consider folding, since the chances of winning will be rather small

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What exactly are you worried about?

H

hishshy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have folded AA before on a tournament just trying to make it to the money it didn’t end well

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Giving up an AA preflop is the highest stage in a poker player's evolution. If you are in a tournament, close to the money and have a comfortable stack, you should be careful with AA. Look at your position, if you have a lot of people to talk to after you, it's better to give up. Have you ever thought about spending 3 hours in a tournament and being eliminated with 3 people left for the ITM? It's happened to me. I left with AA in my hand and empty-handed. He had a comfortable stack. He was 2nd in chips at the table and was suddenly eliminated from the tournament. Don't want to go through this pain. Fold now.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
when I see a set or straight that my opponent can collect, then I immediately throw it off

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
when I see a set or straight that my opponent can collect, then I immediately throw it off
Remind me to bet on all paired boards & wet boards when playing a hand vs. you (when I have nothing of course)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Giving up an AA preflop is the highest stage in a poker player's evolution. If you are in a tournament, close to the money and have a comfortable stack, you should be careful with AA. Look at your position, if you have a lot of people to talk to after you, it's better to give up. Have you ever thought about spending 3 hours in a tournament and being eliminated with 3 people left for the ITM? It's happened to me. I left with AA in my hand and empty-handed. He had a comfortable stack. He was 2nd in chips at the table and was suddenly eliminated from the tournament. Don't want to go through this pain. Fold now.

I 100% agree!
(the more players we can get to do this... the better!)

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
never, but i have lost to this a couple times

thebigjhow

thebigjhow

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe it depends a lot on the type of game, and the pace of the table. But before the flop, never.

Andrii Lubentsov

Andrii Lubentsov

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I can fold AA if it's a bubble or in a satellite if it's a passing stack.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I would only fold AA if I was at a table of complete maniacs and have more than 4 people already all-in and I'm covered by most of them. Then the chances of winning the hand are extremely lower than usual.

Potentially also if it was at the bubble of a satellite and someone shoved before me and has me covered. Not worth the risk because the additional reward is not there.

Otherwise, I would never fold them. Why fold the best starting hand?

I even called an all-in of the big stack at the FT while I was second in chips and we were just two places away from the money.

He revealed QQ and unfortunately collected a set. It was painful but I'd do it again everytime.

If I'd won this hand, I was very close to win the tourney. This time it just did not work out.

:)