A2 -A5

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you value the above cards when suited?

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
When we are in good position, why not, they are very nice hands to play them! They are suited and there are aces!

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With those cards I like to see a cheap flop in position or make a small open raise in position around 2.5x the blinds.

However I would avoid and fold those cards in early and middle position because many bad things can happen such as the kicker and if your not discipline to fold, you get caught thinking aces is a good hand when really your beat from the start.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I love suited connectors. Try to get in cheap. If you have the wheel A2345, beware of someone having 23456 or 34567

G

GrammaKing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
These hands make great 3-betting hands once you get comfortable with them. They block some of the stronger hands your opponent can have (AA, AK, AQ) and they can make straights. A6-A9 are less interesting 3 bets.

R

rmcmullen2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love suited connectors. Try to get in cheap. If you have the wheel A2345, beware of someone having 23456 or 34567

I lost a huge pot at a live $1/2 nl holdem table a couple years ago. I had A-5 and the flop came out 2-3-4 rainbow and I was so happy when another player went all-in and snapped called.. Unfortunately he had 5-6 lol.. You live and learn I guess..

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I value them first with my position. EP they’re terrible. From HJ or possibly LJ they have good value. I’m not crazy about playing it in the SB. Next I’d value them by my opponents position and action. A raise from UTG or UTG+1 it’s a no thought fold. I’d prefer to 3bet bluff this hand or open from the CO or Button. Defending from the BB isn’t bad and anything else I feel is a losing play over time

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are in a late position, these are interesting hands. In early positions, you need to watch out. These hands look nice but are not so strong actually.

T

Tyler Finnimore

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ill usually always raise these hands in late position to try to take the down pot pre flop but if that dont work I still have a decent hand to work with

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would play the from the CO or Button, or even HJ up depending on my opponents left and also defend the BIG, this hand has a block and plays well depend on the flop

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi :ciao:
i usual fold them unless on button or cutoff

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A2s-A5s is a universal cards, that has the potential for flush and straight. I think that with pocket cards A2s-A5s it is better to play from late positions.

Last edited:
Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With those cards I like to see a cheap flop in position or make a small open raise in position around 2.5x the blinds.

However I would avoid and fold those cards in early and middle position because many bad things can happen such as the kicker and if your not discipline to fold, you get caught thinking aces is a good hand when really your beat from the start.

+1 This is my instinct too. This hand could go either way for me based on position, action at table, or even how tight/loose I've been playing up to this point (if I have been playing looser for example, then I'll fold to try and balance and play tighter again).

With this type of hand I am flexible and never really too sure of myself. Sometimes I'll see the flop for a cheap price, sometimes I'll fold instantly and sometimes I'll 3-bet bluff. I think this hand is okay to play if you realize that an Ace isn't so great by itself. As noted, even if the Ace pairs, you often lose due to the kicker.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Early position, I'm just folding. Later position, I'm open raising and sometime 3-bet bluffing.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

well want position then I want to isolate one guy if possible and I also put group if that happens on ranges especially a big ace...

i will play these out of position and bet early if possible to see strength of other player

couple things people do badly running such hands

first the villian auto continuations the flop so (you need to evaluate the situation) where is villain located per cards (is he holding that high ace kicker) key here is to check so slow call if he/she checks turn they do not have ace usually...

second villains have trouble containing selves when hit that big ace.... so you are the action player and you bet and the villian comes over top large... they have position and you believe an high ace kicker is in range

play smart

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I think the right thing would be to play this type of cards (A2s-A5s) in late positions ... and that without any opponent I made a 3-bet or a very high raise ...! I think calling a 2.5bb or 3bb bet would be fine ...!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

these hands have a lot of potential and can be used in a couple of ways

In deepstack scenarios these hands are great because they have the ability to overflush people. When you have the nut flush against a non nut flush you both have 100% equity, and are in a cooler scenario where all the money is likely to go in, very nice!

In shortstack scenarios these hands can be used to 3bet light be it to a non all in amount, or to an all in amount. The first perk is that they have an Ace in them which decreases the chances of your opponent having the Ax part of their range (AK AA AQ etc.) by about 50%. The second perk is that with the ability to make flushes and straights, even when they run into a pocket pair they still have about 30% equity which is quite a lot!

I rank them as a tier 2 hand which you can see at 22:22 of this video, cheers!

R

Rad210

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very profitable in position. You cannot get too attached to your top pair no kicker hands; you're really looking to cooler AK with 2 pair or hit the nut flush. Use those top pair no kicker hands to induce bluffs then catch them.

walkkking

walkkking

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With these cards I limp or raise a pot. I dont like too much these cards. 10 9, J 10 is better for me.
If coming for Ace , and somebody raise i dont know where i am , but i canr fold.Or if I have two pairs and somebody have a two pairs too i dont know where i am. i dont like these cards

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the situation that all places are various.

I also think only A5 is a little exceptional.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on stacks and position. With deeps stack I would limp in with them hoping to hit flush, straight or trips. With short stacks I would fold them from early positions and raise from late, hoping to hit ace on flop.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

Of course I prefer A5. Not only beacuse it beats 3 other ace rags. but the 5 can go for a higher straight.

E

enzomyn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

A2 is a suitable hand that is interesting to call when you are in a good position and bet on the straight and the flush, while the A5 is already able to call out of position, but no all-in.