A10 VS Q9

WeAreHot777

WeAreHot777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everybody.

My hand was A10 UTG+1, and I decided to raise my hand 2.5BB, the MP called me with Q9.
Surprise the flop is coming 10,Q,10.
The opponent decided to raise bank, and I am going ALL-IN I was in good feeling, because he was the leader of the table, and to double up my stack was a amazing feeling.
The turn is Q already both in ALL IN he is better now than me, and really why, this is happening to me every time when I am playing in CC.
The river is 9 the opponent hit everything what is possible.
May I ask you everybody what is the wrong thing here, and I wish to ask may I fold, this hand pre-flop? or something like this, because I was in UTG+1, but before I fold a decent hand against him, and he had only flush draws on the flop he just played ALL IN in the flop like on, this situation what I did.
May I will see your opinion here, because I wish to ask my mistake was here "I should fold the hand in the preflop or something like this or it's just a bad beat"?

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You got unlucky. Part of the game.

U

UberPokerFan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you look at a GTO chart, AT is not +EV at UTG+1. It's marginal though so it's not a drastic mistake. Two of its problems are,
  1. if someone 3bets you, you are not happy about calling (if you are out of position) or 4 betting (hand is too weak).
  2. AT is dominated by AK, AQ and AJ

It's just a bad beat. The villain made a bad preflop call with Q9 in MP and he/she just got lucky. Make a note on him so next time you will know how he/she plays.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never worry about spots where you get it allin with an extremely strong hand; have your opponent crushed; and he gets there.

I agree that ATo is slightly marginal from UTG+1. At a 9-handed table, I’m definitely folding without an ante, and sometimes raising with an ante.