A Question for the newbies ?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok your on the button in a sit and go, UTG (First to act) Raises 3XBB you get 5 callers and you look down to see. You have the average chip stack, with not much variance between the other players. It is a loose aggressive game.

:js4: :10s4:

What is your play here ??

1 ... CALL, why ? And what flop are you hoping for (Dont say JJJ or JJ10 or something stupid, something realistic)

2 ... FOLD , Why ? What are your reasons for this

3 ... RAISE , Why ? How much do you raise ? Do you think you are ahead at this stage and why ?

4 ... Push ALL IN ? Why ?

5 ... What conditions do you need to have a playable hand on the flop ?

Now guys I would like to see the new members debate this one out for a little while before the senior members (know it alls), lets have all you new members debate this one out ( ppl with under 50 posts )

Come on now here is an oppertunity for you good new folks to prove yourselves !!!!!!!!!:dancing2:

poettic1

poettic1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the sad thing is i just wrote a repsonse but the server was to buissy. im hardly the one to walk from a challenge so...

first i hate this situation odds tell you to play it. gut tells you to fold. but 6/1 for your money is right were drawing hands want to be. this is also a loose game and you seem to be in late position(wasn't all that clear to me) so if you do flop something good you'll probably get called. if not you can fold and it is no big loss to you.

the flop really should be evident, any kind of tier one hand and you should put all your money in. one of six people will call you and unless you get out kickered in the case of flush you should be racking chips in.

the absoulte best flop is obviously the striaght flush but jj10, iss good 1010j, real good still, aces kings and xs will get action in plenty and you probably have the best hand and more than one caller here.

i say call and hope here it is a good hand to draw with and a great table to do so with.

reraising makes no sense as you are just moving away from easy to get away from.

and all in is just silly as it eliminates your odds.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold! It's not exactly a great hand and with six other players in the hand, you're odds are not good.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
t1riel said:
Fold! It's not exactly a great hand and with six other players in the hand, you're odds are not good.
You're not a newbie. It's a question for the newbies. Expect a flood of answers anytime soon.

I

internetstalker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poettic1 said:
the sad thing is i just wrote a repsonse but the server was to buissy. im hardly the one to walk from a challenge so...

first i hate this situation odds tell you to play it. gut tells you to fold. but 6/1 for your money is right were drawing hands want to be. this is also a loose game and you seem to be in late position(wasn't all that clear to me) so if you do flop something good you'll probably get called. if not you can fold and it is no big loss to you.

the flop really should be evident, any kind of tier one hand and you should put all your money in. one of six people will call you and unless you get out kickered in the case of flush you should be racking chips in.

the absoulte best flop is obviously the striaght flush but jj10, iss good 1010j, real good still, aces kings and xs will get action in plenty and you probably have the best hand and more than one caller here.

i say call and hope here it is a good hand to draw with and a great table to do so with.

reraising makes no sense as you are just moving away from easy to get away from.

and all in is just silly as it eliminates your odds.

yeah what he said, and for the same reasons!!

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold because of the amount of the raise and the number of people who have called. I still have a lot to learn about probability and pot odds, though, so I'm not sure if that's the correct play.

poettic1

poettic1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
actually your odds are good in this situation 6/1 with a drawing hand its nearly perfect.

although if i had my choice id play 56 67 suited here, because with all that action most of the high cards will be taken so you have less of a chance to hit the strait with j10 but beggers cant be choosers right. situational hands such as j10 should only be played with enough action to justify POT ODDS. alot of people limp in with this hand witch is a mistake, because the pot is expected to be raised, so your odds slim down with less callers. j10 is in no way good hand but it is however a great drawing hand with action.

how can you justify playing coin flips that are even money when this hand for slightly less percentage win (6 handed it should win 1/5) and your getting 6/1 for your money. oh man if im 1/5 to win for 6/1 for my money every hand i'd be a millionare today.

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Notice how even when you give the freeroll whores a thread to post in you still only get established members with real valid answers.

poettic1

poettic1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry was that at me? i thought i described my position correctly. oh nm thanks man

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had nothing to do with you. I was refering to people that didnt post here.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well Diabloanco cant say i didnt try to give them an option, im disappointed to say the least in the response (apart from poettic1), isnt there a freeroll on tomorrow ?? Maybe we might see some 1 line answers then.

poettic1

poettic1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
where and when is this freeroll?

KillerKat

KillerKat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say call, odds are good.

But if ya dont hit on the flop, drop straight away. No fishing with this one.

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have more than 50 I think, but I'll give this one a try granted I am not really skilled in the math of things we discuss. my own thinking on this thread is I would fold, my reason is and this is just me and I probably am wrong with 5 people in the pot I am assuming I am in late position and off the top I am an underdog to any pair and any Ax, Kx, qx if those cards do exist on the table and for that reason I say fold. I probably should shut up but just thought I'd give it a try I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed also LOL

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Note: In the grand scheme of poker yes I am a newbie thats why I answered it.

G

Googlez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmm what flop am i lookin for?

7d 8h 9s

why?...

because at that point, ill be pushing all in and hopefully ill have everyone fold.

rainbow... so i wont have any flush draws stickin around..

pocket pairs i really dont have to worry about too much... chances are they arent gonna hit a boat with this flop

Don't get greedy for more chips if you ask me.... if the pots nice already, take it.

This is providing it's tourny play....

as for ring... f.ck if i know, i stay away from ring now. I learned my lesson.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tenbob said:
Ok your on the button in a sit and go, UTG (First to act) Raises 3XBB you get 5 callers and you look down to see. You have the average chip stack, with not much variance between the other players. It is a loose aggressive game.

:js4: :10s4:

What is your play here ??

1 ... CALL, why ? And what flop are you hoping for (Dont say JJJ or JJ10 or something stupid, something realistic)

2 ... FOLD , Why ? What are your reasons for this

3 ... RAISE , Why ? How much do you raise ? Do you think you are ahead at this stage and why ?

4 ... Push ALL IN ? Why ?

5 ... What conditions do you need to have a playable hand on the flop ?
Well here is my input into the situation, (seems that the newbies arnt interseted in posting) there is not really any right or wrong answer on this one, not going to go into the math.

1. Call.. You have position, and some good high suited connectors, you have the correct pot odds, and its a hand thats very easy to drop if the flop dosnt hit.

2. Fold.. With that many players in the hand, yours is marginal at best, its quite possible that this could be an action hand, one that may knock out one or even more players, leaving you in a better position to make the money.

3. Raise... Here is the play that i like a lot, but only if you have a good solid table image, the pot here is big, and a good solid raise here will give you some excellent information. If UTG Re-raises then you know he has one of the top 2 or 3 starting hands, you will probably get the marginal hands off the hand, and the likelyhood of everyone checking to you after the flop is high, great if you have hit a draw.

4. ALL-IN ... Again if your table image is strong, you could be put on a high pocket pair, but its a dangerous play, expect at least UTG to call you.

5. This is an easy one, the low straight is great, but the high one is even better, any open ended straight, or 4 flush is also excellent. But you have to remember that with this sort of action, the likelyhood is that most of the high cards are out already, so expect a low or mid flop.

That would be my thoughts on the hand, I still like the raise here, you are taking control of the table, and while i know is basically a bluff, you are likely to get a taste of a draw on the flop, but if there is action ahead of you, its an easy fold.

V

vdubber

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
winning hand

lost to that hand the other night when holding JJ.. flop 7 8 9..i was screwed from the beginning

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay, I'm under 50 posts.

You didn't specifically say how much of your chips the BB constituted, but from my point of view, if this was early on (with you at about 1000 chips, and blinds at 10-20), there could be reasons to call. You get to see the flop for a decently small amount of your chips, and you get to do so with 6 other players at the table, making the potential winnings - if you hit big - great.

But considering the kind of hand you'd need to flop to not be drawing dead (top straight or boat), maybe you should think again. Flush? Unless A-K-Q of spades came out, I'd be hesitant to raise a flush.

Flopping two pairs would be really scary, too. Who else is on a straight draw (or has a straight) then? Something like JJ4 wouldn't be safe either, since you may not be alone with the J.

All things considered, there aren't enough hands that you can hope for to make it worth calling. You're hoping for a made hand when you flop, e.g. boat or straight - but if that's what you're shooting for, then virtually any hand is playable.

Do I get a cookie?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll go one better an get you a pint of Guinness !! Here .......:beerglass

K

koops43

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
what would newbies do

I would call. On the button, heaps of good things can flop for you. lot of money to be made at a cheap price. If not now when would you play them. Also its easy to get away from

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tenbob said:
I'll go one better an get you a pint of Guinness !! Here .......:beerglass
Just what I needed! 'Preciate it! :)

S

shortmofia11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a quick analysis here. If ive heard correctly J 10 has one of the greatest probabilites of a straight draw. Everyone is constantly asking, "do you a couple of spades to make this hand successfull or a 7,8,9." Well what about a Q,K,8 and a little fishing? I say call all the way in a late position and take the odds and the great chances of a straight or flush. Truthfuly, i love going fishing with the ole J10.

~~Shelynn~~

~~Shelynn~~

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"diabloblanco" your cute!! That's a good one ! "bubasbestbabe" I totally agree, LMAO with you!!