Can a fish outplay a shark?

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I agree with pretty much what everyone else is saying. I think a fish can catch a nugget here and there but the shark always going to win almost all of the time vs fish.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the short term, anyone can look like a shark or a fish, depending on the turnaround.
Who the shark player is really only revealed during many hundreds or thousands of tournaments or cash games.

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, a fish cant outplay a shark..

He can outluck him, but not outplay.. because its not a fish

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every amateur has a chance to beat any professional player. There is a lot of luck in poker and no one has canceled it. Luck matters not only in poker, but in life in general. Another thing is that this cannot last long. What you saw yourself. Any normal player can rebuild his game and turn the tide in his favor. This is inaccessible to fish in poker, the main weapon of fish is intuition and lack of knowledge.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just watched “Poker Brain” on amazon prime and an amateur that kept the same stance and face beat 3 pros. I’ve seen it before in a live game, the one that can remain the same through all hands will win - like Phil Ivey.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe I did not understand your post properly, but it seemed to me that you found someone aggressive and even though you thought he was the "fish", maybe on that table the "fish" was being you ....

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why not? Even small fish can be poisonous.:)

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course it can! Fishes are lucky sometimes. sometimes. I play like a fish myself :)

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a look in the ocean. Do you still see fish swimming with the sharks after many millennia of being hunted? Yep! The fish aren't going anywhere.

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shark?

So earlier today on one of my tables there seemed to be this annoying player who seemed to know exactly what i had or what i was doing. the thing is that this player on sharkscope came
up as ranked 53.

this guy showed up on a few of my tables and it kept happening the guy kept following me into pots and seemed to know when I had it and when i did not and was playing almost perfectly against me specifically.

my girlfriend was watching and i was getting frustrated and said i dont get it hes a fish hes outplaying me my gf was like no hes not he cant hes a fish fish cant out play you.

then a moment of calm passed over me showing that my mental game is improving and i did something about it I changed the way i was playing and started doing weird bluffs and started destroying the guy.
I am not saying this to boast, a long time ago in my life i looked into religion and spirituality and whilst i rejected all of it and became a believer in the computer simulation hypothesis rrejecting all religion and spirituality buddhism did have something to teach me which has been something i need to evolve for my own life. and that was the destruction of the ego. this does not mean one stops been themselves or caring about themselves, some may think it means not been arrogant which it kind of does but it also means not to be low self esteem self destruction as well.

to simply think I am gods gift to poker because i make a profit and a fish cannot ever outplay me seems like the road to ruin, to have no confidence and give up on myself when things go bad seems like the road to ruin as well.

What appears correct is not to ask how good or bad I am but simply to ask what the best way to adapt to the situation is. in this case i acknowledged the guy was reading my game like a book somehow despite him been a fish and I changed what I was doing and started to reverse the situation and destroy him.

It was suspicious though how a player I have never played before seemed to know my exact game when they have fishy stats when even the best player should not be able to get reads quite that quickly.

i think the most logical explanation to that is either multi accounting or he had seen me play before against one of his friends maybe.

the thing is it did not seem to be luck or he just had it when i didnt and didnt have anything when i did, because as soon as i made changes i started destroying him with bluffs and inducing bluffs from him when he had nothing and i was strong.

so fish can sometimes outplay sharks?
Do rabbits have guns?

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At poker stars, you can often see a few newcomers at the final table in big tournaments. It just so happens that the card goes and good luck on the side of the fish. Therefore, sometimes fish can overplay the shark

Agreed...luck beats skill, you don't need to be the best to reach final table if the cards playing in your favour. 🤷🏼*♂️

Akinled

Akinled

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some fish will call 50bbs to see a flop with 22 and flop a set smashing your AA. Just grit your teeth and tell yourself every time a fish gets it in bad you will come out ahead in the long run. It's just variance.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Volume is where a shark separates himself from a fish. When you are making +E/V plays you will always come out on top of you play enough hands.
It can happen, I have seen professional players perform BANK ROLLS CHALLENGERS and they have taken their disappointments and they have not even achieved the challenge, especially at low levels.

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean no offense!

I've seen a half wit dominate. Abc poker. Anyone with common sense wants to beat the dummy the common sense really ain't so, sometimes. No it's not that easy stepping down a couple notches in your gameplay to match the gameplay of someone who understand that he flopped it on the flop or he turned it on the turn or riveted it on the river. If it don't make sense to you. then might be a half wit with no sense. Good luck on the cables and as always have fun

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It just so happens that we are playing a game in which anything can happen at a short distance! Even the worst hand has a certain percentage of the winnings! Therefore, even a bad player can outplay a professional! But this is good news - because of this weak players come to poker!

M

MickGreed

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I wonder out of 100 ppl in tourney I end up starting out with the same players time an time again, are they going alphabetical or what

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course they can...a so called shark has only two cards like everyone else.

As you will constantly hear from the pros, they focus on the process not the result. As long as they are making good decisions then they expect to win in the long-run. :icon_stud

The short-term unpredictabiity/variance is why a fish can outplay a shark.

If you played 1000 hands against the same player you would likely be in profit so don't feel disheartened.

Just remember the old adage - if you can't spot the fish at the table, then it's you! :confused:

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If fish is getting better and better and is learning and becoming more experienced, he can win more times and you cannot call him a fish anymore!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So earlier today on one of my tables there seemed to be this annoying player who seemed to know exactly what i had or what i was doing. the thing is that this player on sharkscope came
up as ranked 53.

this guy showed up on a few of my tables and it kept happening the guy kept following me into pots and seemed to know when I had it and when i did not and was playing almost perfectly against me specifically.

my girlfriend was watching and i was getting frustrated and said i dont get it hes a fish hes outplaying me my gf was like no hes not he cant hes a fish fish cant out play you.

then a moment of calm passed over me showing that my mental game is improving and i did something about it I changed the way i was playing and started doing weird bluffs and started destroying the guy.
I am not saying this to boast, a long time ago in my life i looked into religion and spirituality and whilst i rejected all of it and became a believer in the computer simulation hypothesis rrejecting all religion and spirituality buddhism did have something to teach me which has been something i need to evolve for my own life. and that was the destruction of the ego. this does not mean one stops been themselves or caring about themselves, some may think it means not been arrogant which it kind of does but it also means not to be low self esteem self destruction as well.

to simply think I am gods gift to poker because i make a profit and a fish cannot ever outplay me seems like the road to ruin, to have no confidence and give up on myself when things go bad seems like the road to ruin as well.

What appears correct is not to ask how good or bad I am but simply to ask what the best way to adapt to the situation is. in this case i acknowledged the guy was reading my game like a book somehow despite him been a fish and I changed what I was doing and started to reverse the situation and destroy him.

It was suspicious though how a player I have never played before seemed to know my exact game when they have fishy stats when even the best player should not be able to get reads quite that quickly.

i think the most logical explanation to that is either multi accounting or he had seen me play before against one of his friends maybe.

the thing is it did not seem to be luck or he just had it when i didnt and didnt have anything when i did, because as soon as i made changes i started destroying him with bluffs and inducing bluffs from him when he had nothing and i was strong.

Sorry I'm confused here :confused: ... who is the fish?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Often bad and especially very loose poker players can put good poker players on tilt and induce them to make some pretty big mistakes. This is especially true, if the loose player is on a heater, because good poker players tend to suffer from entitlement. They cant stand it, when their AK lose to 32, and then they spew off half a stack in the next hand.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, LukeSilver! "Can a fish outplay a shark?" You very question already contains
the answer: of course maybe! Why not?! The Poker is a polysyllabic game: not only of Skill,
but and Luck, and of many other different things... Need always remember about this! :rolleyes:
And therefore Good Luck!;):)

O

over_big

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Often bad and especially very loose poker players can put good poker players on tilt and induce them to make some pretty big mistakes. This is especially true, if the loose player is on a heater, because good poker players tend to suffer from entitlement. They cant stand it, when their AK lose to 32, and then they spew off half a stack in the next hand.

This is very true and has happened to me so often.
I play patiently until a good hand shows up, then play it and lose and lose my mind and all my money due to entitlement.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

Sure can. The way fish play can be predictable and unpredictable. Luck is a factor too. Original post figured out how and others can too.

C

Caja124

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
up as ranked 53.

Your first mistake is to consider yourself a fish. If you have that mentality you will always think you are beaten at every hand(exept the nuts) work on your game slowly and don't be afraid to bluff or to call a hand that you read as a bluff