As a beginner is it better to play Sit and Go or freeroll Tournaments?

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ive only recently started playing poker and so far Im enjoying it quite a lot. Ive played some freeroll tournaments, never won any, but I was thinking is it any better/worse than playing Sit and Go tournaments?

I see you have received many responses from different people. I would like to add an important idea. They are not the same thing. Sit N Go's come in a huge variety these days and MTT's are just that multi-table tournaments. I think you need to decide what poker "format" you feel fits best with your temperament. Many players do not like the idea of sitting for 6-8 hours to finish a big-field mtt. you can play single-table Sit N Go's in about 1 hour. Are you comfortable playing 4-8 tables at the same time? All of these things need to be considered.

It sounds like you are not considering cash games at all. If that is the case, you really need to decide what software you are going to use to analyze your hands, and also , if you are going to be a SnG player you need to know 20bb shoving /calling ranges. READ- the "free" information that is available is so much better than when I started this game.

kokoalexkoko

kokoalexkoko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better to study than play sit n go. Freeroll waste of your time

B2199707

B2199707

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience freerolls are very hard to win , the payouts depends on the amount of players entered

B2199707

B2199707

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice ill try the sit/go games i normally just play tournaments

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are completely new to poker I would recommend to start with sit and gos because they only require a smaller amount of time. In freerolls or MTTs in general you will have to stay focused for a long time, usually several hours...
It’s better to practice your skills in shorter games until you have some confidence in your game and had some long and winning sit and go sessions

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive only recently started playing poker and so far Im enjoying it quite a lot. Ive played some freeroll tournaments, never won any, but I was thinking is it any better/worse than playing Sit and Go tournaments?

If you want to deposit then play all games at micro level. And find by yourself which game is best for you. Once you find the game where you feel comfortable then play that game.

If you don't want to deposit then you have to depend on freerolls. Try to collect some money from there and then follow procedure stated above.

However generating funds from freerolls are time consuming factors. You must be prepared for that.