As a beginner is it better to play Sit and Go or freeroll Tournaments?

tig

tig

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive only recently started playing poker and so far Im enjoying it quite a lot. Ive played some freeroll tournaments, never won any, but I was thinking is it any better/worse than playing Sit and Go tournaments?

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BEGINNER

And better to play the freerolls and sit gos low value both are important to learn about tournaments

I think the sit gos will assist us in the final straight tournaments

:jd4:mateuspoker

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) freerols are harder to win
2) you can learn much better from sitngoes
3) you will lose money (in the beggining) playing sitngoes

So, choice is between learning faster and learning cheaper

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play freerolls until you win a little money and then play sit and gos with some of the winnings. Lets say you win 50 cents in freeroll--why not use 25 cents of it to play a sit and go. Eventually with this method you will build up a bankroll--very slowly probably.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can play on the field all day but until you decide to do work off the field that's where the money is at. Often times you don't have the time to review hands properly and see other insights on a certain spot while playing. Reading books and strategy articles in the cardschat forum will guide you to the right mentality instead of starting bad habits from just playing poker. This forum is slap full of gold, look around its better than a book we're real people!

2/729 100gtd 5 hours ago..

Attachments

• Screenshot (85).jpg
    Screenshot (85).jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 49
D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are just starting out to build a roll and to learn the game of poker without depositing I would say freerolls are the way to go.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
start playing sit n gos with a small bankroll will help you to develop basic basics concepts middle and end of tournaments every great tournament player has made his base in the sit n gos

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would start with freerolls, then once you have a roll move up to sngs, but I would have sngwiz or icmizer to review your icm after each sng. Or if you want to get a jump on it - start doing icm quizes on the format you are going to play.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although it is a different style (Tournament / SnG) Freeroll > $ > SnG

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Should play freerolls at the beginnig to obtain certain poker skill and after a month -30-40 poker games to start money games.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always prefer to to say play for money... In freerolls its hard to learn because most players including me play donkey game... (Except on CC freerolls) :D

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I agree with others in playing the free rolls at 1st and once you get a few buy ins saved start to play the sit n go's would be helpful. If you want to learn faster and don't mind investing some funds make a small deposit on a site and play the sit n go's right away.

One thing you should know as a beginner. Most players who win at this game have played for years. Play the game for fun and entertainment and grow your game. Poker is a long term game and you should be prepared to see at times long stretches of losing. If you are willing to put the time into study and practice of the game you can become a wining player as well. I wish you the best of luck.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Let winnings from freerolls fund your Sit n Go's. If you don't win money from freerolls, don't allow yourself to enter a Sit n Go.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd say it's personal preference really. After playing a mix of cash, SNG and MTTs I decided to focus on micro 9-max SNGs in my pursuit to becoming a winning player. I have a steady a job so could afford a decent bankroll for this. Now I mix in a few freerolls as well. I like the mix as it gives me practice in both formats, the freerolls add a little to my bankroll every so often but there are fewer donks in the SNGs giving me the chance to practise more what I think of as more advanced poker.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Use freerolls as a means to build your sit in go fund. If you have the patience to do it this way you won't have to worry about "losing" money because you're reinvesting the money you've made off the free rolls. I've found its way less stressful and just makes each one more fun knowing that even if I bust it's all good.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Newbie of course it is better to play freerolls, because the answer is obvious they are free))) do not rush to make money.

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can't/don't want to deposit then freerolls are the way to go. If you make some money off of them then you can try playing SNGs. All game types give out experience so you will always keep learning. Practice good bankroll management and you will never go broke :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both are completely different.

The best option is to read up on the difference between the both and figure out which one is best for you depending on starting BR, time available to play, site buy-in for MTTs and SNGs, etc.

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As some people have said above, in free rolls you get a lot of bad play, people will go all in for no apparent reason etc, SNG will probably bring in a ton of losses, microstakes cash games or tournaments might be the best once you learn how to play.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
better is

i think sit and go is better to start with because you get more experience
of reading other players ...than tourments in whitch players are chaenging
in the tables very often and reading becames more defficalt

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What has to play FREE tournaments is that when there are many players in the tournaments many of them are fish. They go all in in the majority of the hands just for the fact of being free and we have to avoid being eliminated early by these players. I prefer sit and go, regards

T

Tunnelrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say playing sit n goes with playmoney is an alternative way to learn about the game and improve your own at the same time. That's what I'm doing right now and I know some people will argue that playing with playmoney vs realmoney is very different and I agree. But if you track your games with a trackingsoftware, at least you can see if you are a winning poker player or a fish and my reasoning is that if I'm not winning in playmoney then certainly I won't be a winning player with realmoney.

MolonAA

MolonAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you do not want to make a deposit you should play enough freeroll to try to make a bankroll, and it is not advisable to play expensive buy-in. For example if you win 20 dollars in freeroll play sit and go of 0.50cents

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with others in playing the free rolls at 1st and once you get a few buy ins saved start to play the sit n go's would be helpful. If you want to learn faster and don't mind investing some funds make a small deposit on a site and play the sit n go's right away.

One thing you should know as a beginner. Most players who win at this game have played for years. Play the game for fun and entertainment and grow your game. Poker is a long term game and you should be prepared to see at times long stretches of losing. If you are willing to put the time into study and practice of the game you can become a wining player as well. I wish you the best of luck.

This is key imo, studying is the only way to really improve your game. Look at the hands you played, do you think you played it correctly? Were you unsure in some spots? Always feel free to discuss hands on CC, alot of people are glad to give out advice.

As for the question if you should play sit and go's or freerolls. I would go for a mixture of both, freerolls are ofcourse a free way to both practice and win some extra money for your bankroll. Otherwise just grind the smallest stakes tourneys (10 or 25 cents for example). But remember to balance playing and studying and you will improve the most ^^

GL :D