A-8o in mid position . yay or nay ?

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on many factors, but I would say as a summary of all of them that I don't usually, I don't play in MP except in some case that I perceive the blinds nit, or it's been many hands that I haven't opened anything. I'm much more willing to open this hand with smaller stacks because of the blocking effect, than with big stacks.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As always it depends….
it is not a good hand to call with and reraise with before you have seen the flop.
that said an A is the best single card to hold …..
so it is playable especially against nits, calling stations, but you need to be have a decent post flop skills and avoid aggressive players.

if you get an A on the Flop there is still 2 more somewhere … and we all know:sneaky::unsure::love: there will be an A on the river ;)

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not really. I will fold 90% of the time.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I prefer to wait for something better

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A8off better fold it right away, some rare situations I can even:eek: raise.;)

lukaszkrzi

lukaszkrzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A8o (offsuit) is a difficult hand to play in any position, as it is a relatively weak hand that can often be dominated by other hands. However, the decision of whether to play or fold this hand will depend on a variety of factors, including your position at the table, the action in front of you, and your overall table dynamics.

In mid-position, it can be difficult to play A8o, as you are likely to be facing action from both the players behind you and those yet to act. In this situation, it is important to consider the players behind you and their tendencies. If there are aggressive players who are likely to raise and reraise, it may be best to fold A8o in this spot. However, if the players behind you are more passive and likely to call, it may be worth considering a flop play with A8o in this position.

In late position, the decision to play or fold A8o becomes a bit easier as you have more information about the players who have already acted. If the action in front of you has been relatively tight and there is only one or two players left to act, it may be worth considering a play with A8o in this spot. However, if the action has been loose and there are several players left to act, it may be best to simply fold A8o in this situation.

Ultimately, the decision to play or fold A8o in any position will depend on a variety of factors, including your position at the table, the action in front of you, and your overall table dynamics. It's important to use your best judgement and to be aware of the players behind you and their tendencies. And always remember, in poker, it's not always about the cards you have, it's about how you play them.