A-8o in mid position . yay or nay ?

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
do you play A 8 off suite in mid position ? or do you fold it ? and if you fold it ....do you play it in late position or do you fold it there too ?

J

James2023

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Its a meh, Use with caution just treat a2 to a10 like rags unless there suited at least the the suited pair can bail you out against pocket Aces etc if you get nailed.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If i have enough stack i could think in play it, whit low tack all-in, otherwise i fold A-8 is a dangerous hand to play it at flop.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
do you play A 8 off suite in mid position ? or do you fold it ? and if you fold it ....do you play it in late position or do you fold it there too ?
It could be the best hand at the table.

You won't know unless you raise preflop.

If you get 3-bet then it might be worth folding - or reraise them with a 4-bet!

If you have callers then A8o will likely be a loser after the river.

If I were to play A8o from MP then I would play it aggressively.

But A-high is just a bluff catcher.

Good luck !

Last edited:
YevheniiKobliuk

YevheniiKobliuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hmm, everyone here is a cautious player.)
As for me, a normal hand, if the field allows you to open up wider, so why not do it?
In any case, on the flop, when we hit, we will not have the weakest ace, but the strongest eight. Again, it all depends on the stage of the tournament, the bubble factor, and so on. ;)

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Those questions don't have a yes or no answer. It's not a good hand because it's off suite and there's not a potential for straights but on the other hand it removes some strong combinations ( we block the Ace combos). Chip EV I think is super marginal open raise in middle position and a open raise in late positions.

If I have the chip lead at my table then I may open even lighter than that but I must know the line up of the players. Generally we don't want to play mediocre ace hands because if we hit an ace we can't easily let it go and in the long run this habbit will cost us a lot.

C

cowboybebop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No thats absolute trash dont ever play that even on BB you will never if its suited then go at it but offsuited ace X is absolute misery(ofcourse except J K Q).

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It depends on the way each player plays, personally I think he loses more than he wins.

houcineben10

houcineben10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
it depends what our stack is, if there is ante in the pot and I have 15 BB I will shove, with a big stack I will surely open and with a mid stacks I will surely.
It depends also if we are in the money a lot etc.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm folding A8 with 15bb. I've found it's better to save the chips than taking a 50/50 or dominated spot. I feel like I'll be crushed too often and never really have any spots where I'm much of a favorite over 50/50.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to play J 8 more than A 8, this is a problematic hand for me, so in order not to give me a headache, I'd rather fold

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing A8 is starting a bad habit!

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Well, A8o is an aces rag hand.

Not the best type of hands to play when you are still a beginner.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a situation, where I am to deep to open jam, I typically fold A8o from mid position. With short stacks, where I play push-fold, it all depend on the ICM situation. If I can apply pressure to shorter stacks near the bubble or on a final table, I widen my range considerably, and then A8o can be a fine shoving hand due to the A blocker.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In middle position it's usually fold, unless the table is very aggressive and I have a bigger stack.
On the other hand, on the steal positions, if it comes to fold I raise sometimes.
In BB, I call if there is a raise or a light tribet.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More times than not it’s an easy fold from any position, but of coarse stack sizes and player types on your table may change that

ibalbino

ibalbino

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Depends on the table, stacks, and the players profile who's acting against you. Always try to adapt, in some situations, opening any A from middle positions will be printing, in other will be burning. Just try to see in what situation you are in that specific moment.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In non ante games I'm usually folding A8o in mid position

I will open it sometimes in the hijack, and always open on the cutoff or button

If it's a tournament however and there are antes well...

Depending on my stack size I will sometimes open it then from early/mid (and will even do that with any Ace!)

But... that's in specific situations, the general approach is no, it's a fold :)

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I never play A8os unless the table is pretty soft with no aggro players. also if i am gonna be blinded out within the next 2 hands, of course a face card may help win a hand, so that is another reason to play A8os.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty much almost never.
It's just not a good hand for multiple reasons.
Only good to shove when youre like ~5 BBs deep

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if you play in middle positions, of course you should play in late positions if you don't play then you don't play I play from middle positions I'm comfortable playing them I think it depends on the table how you feel about your table

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The problem is its not that simple of a question. Depend on the table were playing on. Players in the blinds. stack depth and my table image. On average A8o is a fold but not always. Aslo depens on what middle positon position your in too.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I play A8 o fm any position with enough information to do it.

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

A8s sometimes depending on my stack and the level of players to my left. A8o almost never.