7 Card Stud hi/lo

adam57

adam57

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are some basic tips for this game. What 3 cards are best to play before 3rd street what do you fold. I really want to learn how to play but I find it rather confusing. Can anyone help me out on this one.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Adam,
I played in the Stud H/L event at the wsop this year, where I finished 448th out of 788. It was alot different playing the game in person than online (where I mostly learned to play it).

Online the competition isn't as stiff, so I like to try and get 3 or 4 people in a hand and play for the Lo and also try to Scoop (win the Hi and Lo). As for starting hands, it really depends on the cards that your opponents have that you can see. For instance, if you have 3 diamonds but there are 3 other diamonds that you can see, you need 2 of the remaining 7 diamonds in the deck to make your flush. If you have a pair of Queens and you see another Queen is gone, there is only one left so you'll probably have to throw the pair away.

Alot of your decisions are situational and the more you play the game the more you'll pick up on what to do and when. I'd suggest finding a site that has some Stud H/L freerolls or low limit buyins. pokerstars has a freeroll on Saturdays at Noon Eastern. Bugsys Club has a $1 tourney every night at 11:15 PM Eastern.

Good luck learning the game, it's alot of fun to play.

adam57

adam57

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So there is no basic table like holdem where its play this not this. Does positioning matter as much in this game? What % of hands should you play. Are there basics for these questions?

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You always need to play for both High and Low. The best starting hands are the ones that could possibly get you the Wheel (A,2,3,4,5), the best hand. Some other good hands are 5,6,7 4,5,6 and 8,7,6. If you are sure you have the high locked but have no chance for the low. Bet as much as you can so you can bouild up the pot for higher profit when the pot is spilt (porviding someone does have the low).

quazar66

quazar66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The hands i stick with are 2 low card and one high 2 suited
or pairs
but you always want to try for high and low
dont play for your flush if more then 3 cards are your suit around the table when you get your hold cards.

LetsGetItOn

LetsGetItOn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It actually depends on the players. In most games online (even in the $15/$30 game i used to play at party) way too many people see 4th street. Avoid playing Flush draws and pairs altogether (unless it's just you and the bringin or something like that). Only play aces with a baby card, and play 3 to a low that can make a straight in some way 2,4,6, 3,4,7 a,2,5 6,7,8. Complete/Call (Don't 3 bet in most cases unless your 3 low are all suited). Any 3 to a low with a 6 or lower as the high card you should complete with at any time, others only do it when there are higher cards than that on the board. 4th Street is EVERYTHING, if you miss it completely (i.e. 456, Jack) get out of the hand. I basically used this strategy and killed the $1/2-$5/10 games at party.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6, 7 ,8 in your starting hand would be practically worthless at Omaha hi-lo, I suppose Stud hi-lo must be different. Good tips Lets.