Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Honestly.... get a job and then make a deposit. Then consider playing on DoylesRoom in their 10cent sngs and play a couple hundred of them, just to get used to playing period. Sure there'll be poor play on them but you might find it better than micros on Stars or Fulltilt,.. and nothing to lose.

Then.... get a couple of poker books, read them, study them and read them again,.. and again.
Then... take part of your paycheque (or all of your paycheque) and deposit it to a site. Then experiment for awhile and try to find your niche in online poker (maybe mtts seeing as you have some experience in this, but if you hit the super micro sngs on Doyles, then maybe consider the $2 ones on FT for awhile.. stay away from the $1 ones.. they are a waste of time and money (I challenge those who say they consistently win easy money on them.. play is sooo bad that they are a waste of time and rake is sooo high that over the long run it is just not worth it, you'll get better play and experience in the 10centers on Doyles).
Once you've played for a bit, consider playing the mtts and personally I'd stick to $10 buy-ins, anything below that is brutally bad poker (even the $10's are bad,.. no joke).
OR..... keep playing freerolls for awhile, play till you have a couple hundred in your account (yes.. it's possible, I cashed for over $300 in 6mos. and was only playing them while taking a break from $$ buy-ins, as I was getting frustrated with trying to grind my way out in micro sngs, $2 to $5,.. another waste of time BUT, a learning experience.
With this $200,.. consider doing some more reading and play in ring games, .05/.10 for a bit, OR,.. play in the mtts (maybe the odd cheap one but would mostly stick to $10 & up,.. maybe try a few cheapos and hope to get lucky).
THen... go back to the books, and read some more. They will mean something different to you now,.. no matter how well you may have figured you'd absorbed them previously. Pick up Harrington's books (get them from library at first,.. but you really should just buy them.... trust me, they will pay for themselves in a short period of time), and Phil Gordon's books are a good read also.
Find some friends who share same interests with you in poker and then bash stuff around in each other's heads about the game, reviewing hands, talking over the internet while playing in a game, discussing different ways you'd play the hands, etc. etc.
Play some more.... and some more... etc. etc.
Try teaching someone else who is getting into the game, preferably someone who seriously wants to get better (teaching is often a great way for one to learn themselves).

and lastly..... Good Luck!!!!
(in other words.... keep playing freerolls for awhile!)

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly.... get a job and then make a deposit. Then consider playing on DoylesRoom in their 10cent sngs and play a couple hundred of them, just to get used to playing period. Sure there'll be poor play on them but you might find it better than micros on Stars or Fulltilt,.. and nothing to lose.

Then.... get a couple of poker books, read them, study them and read them again,.. and again.
Then... take part of your paycheque (or all of your paycheque) and deposit it to a site. Then experiment for awhile and try to find your niche in online poker (maybe mtts seeing as you have some experience in this, but if you hit the super micro sngs on Doyles, then maybe consider the $2 ones on FT for awhile.. stay away from the $1 ones.. they are a waste of time and money (I challenge those who say they consistently win easy money on them.. play is sooo bad that they are a waste of time and rake is sooo high that over the long run it is just not worth it, you'll get better play and experience in the 10centers on Doyles).
Once you've played for a bit, consider playing the mtts and personally I'd stick to $10 buy-ins, anything below that is brutally bad poker (even the $10's are bad,.. no joke).
OR..... keep playing freerolls for awhile, play till you have a couple hundred in your account (yes.. it's possible, I cashed for over $300 in 6mos. and was only playing them while taking a break from $$ buy-ins, as I was getting frustrated with trying to grind my way out in micro sngs, $2 to $5,.. another waste of time BUT, a learning experience.
With this $200,.. consider doing some more reading and play in ring games, .05/.10 for a bit, OR,.. play in the mtts (maybe the odd cheap one but would mostly stick to $10 & up,.. maybe try a few cheapos and hope to get lucky).
THen... go back to the books, and read some more. They will mean something different to you now,.. no matter how well you may have figured you'd absorbed them previously. Pick up Harrington's books (get them from library at first,.. but you really should just buy them.... trust me, they will pay for themselves in a short period of time), and Phil Gordon's books are a good read also.
Find some friends who share same interests with you in poker and then bash stuff around in each other's heads about the game, reviewing hands, talking over the internet while playing in a game, discussing different ways you'd play the hands, etc. etc.
Play some more.... and some more... etc. etc.
Try teaching someone else who is getting into the game, preferably someone who seriously wants to get better (teaching is often a great way for one to learn themselves).

and lastly..... Good Luck!!!!
(in other words.... keep playing freerolls for awhile!)
I have a job, i work 6 days a week, 8 hours a day, and i would like to make a deposit, the thing is that i don't know how to do it from here where i live (uruguay). I started a thread a few days ago asking how to do it but it seams that nobody here knows because there was no answer to it.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hi.. sorry.. didn't mean to sound like a dick there (and didn't mean to 'assume' that you don't have a job, it's just that often I'll read threads by folks who are just kids living at homes and don't have jobs and have no means to deposit, basically cuz they have no means,.. as in no money).
I'm not sure how to deposit from where you live but if you were to ask customer support of the site you'd like to deposit to, I'm sure they'll come up with something for you.
From canada we're not able to deposit using a regular credit card (suprising that I even have one actually,. seriously lol) but I was able to get around this by purchasing a pre-paid 'VisaGiftCard' and then was able to deposit directly onto the site with it. When I first started playing online poker, I used my mastercard and then opened up an epassporte account but they have since stopped associating with online poker and is no longer an option.
I've heard that 'e-checks' are also an easy option to use (but I don't know how to do that... sorry).
Sorry to go off so long in my response on your thread here but I actually feel pretty strongly about all of this stuff. It really just depends on what you're looking for with online poker. Myself,.. at first I felt I wanted to just stick to small stakes stuff, like $1 & $2 buyins but it wasn't long before I realized that the play in those buyins isn't very good and there's just wayyyy too much variance to excel in them on a regular basis (for me anyways, and this was with placing 2nd on my very first night of playing in a $1 buyin mtt and winning over $100 in it).

ALSO... if you want to do well, I really do strongly advise reading a book or two on poker. i know you will find it very helpful. I personally have played poker for 4 decades and found just a TON of valuable info. in the books. I mentioned the ones I think would be best if planning on playing sngs and mtts. There are also some sng specific ones out there, with Colin Moschman's (sp?) being the best from what I understand.

if you're interested in any more info. from my own personal experience, just send me a pm here on the site and I will respond promptly.
GL!!
(hope I didn't offend you with my first response!!)

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not offense taken, Since you brought the subject i have a question: Do you think the strategy written in poker books works for $1 sitngo, and other low limits tables? I´m currently reading harrington on holdem and i don't know if it's strategy applies to what i'm playing right now

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not offense taken, Since you brought the subject i have a question: Do you think the strategy written in poker books works for $1 sitngo, and other low limits tables? I´m currently reading harrington on holdem and i don't know if it's strategy applies to what i'm playing right now

I would say it does loosely! You have to be a little tighter in the micros because of all the calling stations. I've actually been trying out some of the more advanced strategies the last couple of days on Carbon. They have a Fun Step game where if you win three SnG freerolls (2 with six players, and the last with ten) you get a dollar.

I thought the play would be a little better there than the play money tables and, of course, I was wrong. I still caught myself tightening up to the point of almost getting blinded out.

So, in short, the strategies are good to learn because they can help you out at a tight micro table, but not at the loose ones IMO.:D:D:D

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Andosalado, great news about the bankroll!

I am not sure of how banks work in Uruguay, and for lower rolled players such as yourself, FullTilt can be a tough place to make it.

1) Their lowest cash game stakes are .05/.10 with a much higher rake than other similar sites. I think the rake at these limits might be double what pokerstars has, but research it if you want the exact number.

&

2) The last time I checked the STT's and MTT's had a worse structure in my opinion. The turbo STT were 3 minutes and the regulars were 6 minute blind levels. On Pokerstars you can find these same tournaments with around 5 and 10 minutes respectively.

I know I must sound like some kind of Pokerstars Representative, but if you do deposit with your own money I think there are better options than Fulltilt if you will be starting out in the lower limits. I only recommend Pokerstars because it is the only other site I have deposited on after playing many years at Fulltilt. There are other sites such as Carbon Poker, Ultimate Bet and sites that are not open to Americans that would be worth researching before you deposit. Maybe download them and test them out yourself with play money before depositing. Also check here first to make sure they are reputable.

When you got to deposit on Pokerstars or Fulltilt (I think they have the same option) there should be a tab in the cashier for depositing ("buying chips"). In that tab there should be an option for "e-check" or "electronic checking." If you have a checking account and checks I don't see why a person from any country couldn't use this option. It does not require a credit card and I have used it successfully several times. Click the tab, pull out a blank check, and it will take you through the steps of how to enter the information.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

E

element2090

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the thing is the ring games take more balls, you'll have to learn how to bluff well if you dont planned on being blinded out. Sng's are a quick way to lose money if your not experienced, I mean you made $6 on freerolls which isn't bad so I'd stick to low buy in MTG's.

L

Luckylmn3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah don't jump right into ring games. You need to play very patiently with your $6 if you hope to increase it at all. Don't go into a table and risk it all--what my buddy did.

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Andosalado, great news about the bankroll!

I am not sure of how banks work in Uruguay, and for lower rolled players such as yourself, FullTilt can be a tough place to make it.

1) Their lowest cash game stakes are .05/.10 with a much higher rake than other similar sites. I think the rake at these limits might be double what Pokerstars has, but research it if you want the exact number.

&

2) The last time I checked the STT's and MTT's had a worse structure in my opinion. The turbo STT were 3 minutes and the regulars were 6 minute blind levels. On Pokerstars you can find these same tournaments with around 5 and 10 minutes respectively.

I know I must sound like some kind of Pokerstars Representative, but if you do deposit with your own money I think there are better options than Fulltilt if you will be starting out in the lower limits. I only recommend Pokerstars because it is the only other site I have deposited on after playing many years at Fulltilt. There are other sites such as Carbon Poker, Ultimate Bet and sites that are not open to Americans that would be worth researching before you deposit. Maybe download them and test them out yourself with play money before depositing. Also check here first to make sure they are reputable.

When you got to deposit on Pokerstars or Fulltilt (I think they have the same option) there should be a tab in the cashier for depositing ("buying chips"). In that tab there should be an option for "e-check" or "electronic checking." If you have a checking account and checks I don't see why a person from any country couldn't use this option. It does not require a credit card and I have used it successfully several times. Click the tab, pull out a blank check, and it will take you through the steps of how to enter the information.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!
Yes, that's the problem of FT: it's to expensive to play, by now i have $56, the same amount as before, but at least i'm playing. I make the choice to play the $1 sitngo, even i know they're a bad deal. So far i played 6, won 1 and came 2nd an 3rd in two others.

And i agree with you that pokerstars is better for low bankrolls, I Played the 0.10 Sitngo and came 3rd winning a prize of $4.

The diference is clear: FT 0 profit PStars $3.5 Profit because i played 5 of this sitngos.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management