34s all in from the SB? MTTs and antes?

A

Auswa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we have 34s in the SB. It's folded around to us.

If we have 7BBs are you shoving?
If we have 3BBs are you shoving?

Modern Poker Theory Recommends we shove when we have 3BBs or less when we have 34s. Fold every other time. This isn't the only way to play though but is probably a good guideline.
But Modern poker says this recommendation is based on a 12.5% ante in play.

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
this will depend on what stage of the tournament you are in, and how is the stack of other players

for example: if you are on the bubble to enter "ITM" with 7BB, and you have other players shorter than you, it doesn't make any sense for you to risk playing your 34s, knowing you might get called and miss the opportunity to win some money.

Everything will depend on the stage the game is in, all decisions must be made with this factor in mind.

GL ;)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
we have 34s in the SB. It's folded around to us.

If we have 7BBs are you shoving?
If we have 3BBs are you shoving?

Modern Poker Theory Recommends we shove when we have 3BBs or less when we have 34s. Fold every other time. This isn't the only way to play though but is probably a good guideline.
But Modern poker says this recommendation is based on a 12.5% ante in play.

There is not just one solid answer. It depends on the big blind. If the guy is just folding to any and all raises yeah shoving 34s is a profitable play. Against other players its a call or fold and more a fold than call. If I am in the BB I am calling pretty much any hand I have for a SB 3bb shove. 7BB shove I will be a bit more selective in what hands I call with but I am calling with a lot of hands even then..

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
assuming you aren't on the money/final table bubble and there isn't a player with < 1 bb left.

7 bbs, shove.

3 bbs, limp and shove any flop. call if bb shoves preflop.

Last edited:
TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
assuming you aren't on the money/final table bubble and there isn't a player with < 1 bb left.

7 bbs, shove.

3 bbs, limp and shove any flop. call if bb shoves preflop.

Think ohshootmybad has it right.

I am probably shoving in both spots, but I do really appreciate your limp and go here because you will probably get more fold equity post flop than preflop. Or if you are feeling fancy(or if you think you have an unaware villan) you could do the the non allin allin and raise slightly over min.

In most cases I think you have to get the money in or you will most likely end up like Uncle Broomstick, he got Auntied to death.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think ohshootmybad has it right.

I am probably shoving in both spots, but I do really appreciate your limp and go here because you will probably get more fold equity post flop than preflop. Or if you are feeling fancy(or if you think you have an unaware villan) you could do the the non allin allin and raise slightly over min.

In most cases I think you have to get the money in or you will most likely end up like Uncle Broomstick, he got Auntied to death.
exactly. we get called 100% of the time if we jam 3bbs pre and rely on whatever equity we have, which sucks if we jam 34s and run into 26s or 57o and the flop is a-q-9 rainbow. we have small chance of picking up a little fold equity if villain completely bricks flop.

i like the small min-raise as well.

Last edited: