10-J, Suited or not, as a starting hand

S

shortmofia11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The j 10 always gives me that shot at the royal flush that i crave everyday, or the flush or just the good old straight. Its a great hand to see all around that i always raise the minumum on.

B

biggamer86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
actually the jack 10 is better then the 7-8 or 9-10 get your facts straight before you give advice, the jack 10 can get the ace high straight or the lower end of the straight with a 6 7 you could have 6 7 8 9 10 with the jack 10 the worst you could do would be like 9 queen king

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the comments by Four Dogs and I agree. I will nearly always play this from a late position or if it's a cheap call. I bail quick after the flop if I have not made a 4 flush or open ended str8 draw...

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey biggamer go back and re-read my post. I said their value is SIMILAR to those other connecting cards and it is. Similar and same are two different things. Go learn to read and comprehend before you jump on my posts.

B

biggamer86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think i read someone elses post not yours most of yours are completely correct from what ive read.

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No harm, no foul. I am the only person that made the connecting card comparison, so I figured it was mine.

As far as playing the hand J-10 goes, I myself play it with some frequency and win a good bit of money doing so. But I also win pots with pocket deuces, 6-7s, 7-8s, 9-10os, hell, ill play 2-9 or some crazy shit like that if I know I can get away with it by betting strong and not being forced to show it down. I play a very different style of poker than my advice would indicate. I just don't have the time when someone asks a question like this one to go into great detail about every different situation where J-10 can be a good hand to crack a large pocket pair. I don't have that much time, and I feel I will be doing a disservice to the newbie asking for help than an actual service.

When I am posting in the Strategy section, I just assume that the individual is in the early stages of their learning curve and I give them advice accordingly. Good solid beginning to intermediate strategy is never something that can hurt their game, but me saying that I will bet out J-10 before the flop on some occasions with a good read of the table and a few players in the pot so I have pot odds, may hurt their performance. If they aren't sure when and where to make these moves they can lose big. So I don't even go into it here most times.

If I get the feeling that the poster (from reading previous posts or name recognition) that he/she is on a level playing field with me, I will take the time to give the advice that I would, myself, adhere to.

Cristhian

Cristhian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends a lot on the position but personally it is my favorite hand to play on button

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
you can play with any cards, it all depends on your bankroll and how much you can give in case of loss

G

goozfrahbah

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
alot of factors at play for starting with any hand, depends on the situation but JTs is a good hand multi way

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
May be one of the best hands in 6+ Hold'em, but in NL you need a position and the right odds with this holding.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It certainly a good hand to hold if the flop hits it because if and that is a big IF! you hit a straight on the flop then it is always the nut straight,
Examples-- Flop AKQ ---789---9KQ---Q89 you hold J/10 no one can have better straight.
What you need to be wary of is if the flop is suited and not your suit then someone could beat your straight with a flush, and if the board pairs on later streets it could be beaten by a full house.
So yes it's a nice hand but there are pitfalls to be aware of.
But this is also true of any nut straight like you hold 7/8 and the flop is 456 then you have the nut straight until a 7 comes on the turn or river then a hand of 8/9 would beat you.
The difference is that a Jack/10 cannot be beaten by another straight.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
For me the position depends a lot, and as they said in previous comments, 10j I like to play it from the position of Button

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands