Did you have a poker coach when you started playing poker?

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
my coach was a slot machine, so it was tragic because I perceive poker as death and misfortune
It is noticeable. It is noticeable that your trainer was a slot machine. I didn't have a coach, but I watched a series of videos for beginners. I think, considering how you play, our free course will definitely not hurt you :)

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Could you expand a little more on the slot machine thing? I'm curious.
In my case, I started playing right after learning the rules, then I watched some videos and practiced more.
Now I'm playing regularly again, so I'll have to learn more theory.

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I did not have a poker coach starting off my poker career. Infact, I have never had one, might you ask. I always played on my own, I think its the best that way for you to experience bad beats and stuff all alone.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friend, not when I started, but I learned by watching the tournaments on television, analyzing the plays, then different players appeared playing live which was on YouTube and Twitch, there I also saw how they played. That was the beginning of how I started playing with strategy.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, or by Happiness, I never had any coach in my Poker career... I train myself, using the different Poker information...
And Main, I try to have more Poker practice! Because "Pracice Makes Perfectness!"

Achrarock

Achrarock

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
In my beginnings, I used to play poker straight away before I changed to Online

kabokinha

kabokinha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I started playing two weeks ago, I don't have a coach yet, but I intend to hire one soon.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A coach? lol Most people read books and learned from experience.

There were people that were successful who were willing to train people but it was cost prohibitive for the stakes starting out. Nope just books and those were usually the best sources years ago.

Today they have a lot more training aids to review hands and simulators. People use coaches to go over your results and suggest further ways to improve and that's after you have mastered the things that are common to the general population that takes years to find out about, then study, then gain experience then review the data and so on and so on.

Big waste of time if you go to a coach and they're just going to tell you to learn the basics that you could have gotten from a $5 book written in the 1980s about starting hands and pot odds and whatever.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I didn't have a coach, I studied playing poker myself for a long time, I studied the rules of strategies and searched for all the materials on the Internet then there were few training videos and materials, but now there are poker schools that will teach you money and you will be able to study, there are also a lot of free videos on the Internet in forums so now it's easy for new players to learn poker

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I've never paid for a coach before but i'm friends w/ a few people that are coaches themselves... and one thing I have noticed is that a lot of people tend to get coaches way too early in their career. I think it's a pretty huge waste of money to get one unless you have honestly gotten to a point in your career where you just can't figure out how to improve anymore.

Phantom of the Opera

Phantom of the Opera

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I almost enrolled in Andre Akkari and Yuri Martins's course. I don't know if it's worth spending money on these courses and if I can learn poker on my own

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If there are no brains in the head the poker mentor will not help in such case.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, but I did buy a few books and looked at you tube. Have been watching poker on tv for maybe close to 20 years also.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course not. Like most players probably)

wharris1999

wharris1999

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
My dad could maybe count like a lot of others, but not a professional poker coach, no.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn’t have a personal trainer, although I think that if you treat the game professionally and want to grow within the limits, then you need a coach to improve your game

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
My only coach was practice, and play money XD

dangbaonguyen93

dangbaonguyen93

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
Yes, the person who invited and guided me to play poker won my money during the first year. they kept catching me, before I got better 😂😂😂

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No I didn't, but I follow a really great guy from brazil who teaches poker at YouTube, his name is Carmanhani.

Lucho.riv9

Lucho.riv9

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I did not have a coach; I was just playing for money and learning by watching videos. Do you recommend starting to play with a coach?

Bustoseb

Bustoseb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
We had a circle of friends trying to learn off each other and explaining hands.
Helped quite a bit!

L

luk0123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I didn't have a coach. But when I started playing poker for fun 10 years ago or more I went through some PS training sessions. I believe they were lead by Daniel Negreanu.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never had a coach, I always had to learn and practice everything on my own just by studying what was free on the internet