Can you fold the pocket rockets?

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ability to fold strong hands and AA is a sign of a professional. Practice it! Even if it comes with a price. In the long term, the price you pay for folding a good hand is much lower than a price for not being able to fold a good hand.

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good fold friend!
It is a virtue to know how to throw the winning cards and especially AA. a little easier to throw KK maybe, when there is A in the 5 board cards!
I have thrown all kinds of letters including AA in the bubble
Hugs, cheers

B

Bekyas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I think you should fold hot aces or kings when you feel bad

byron42

byron42

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100% yes...especially if I'm deep in a tourney just fresh on a full table and have seen rockets get snaked out by 72 previously by a flush or 3ok. Mostly depends on position/action/flop at that point...it could just be me having superstition, but I feel like patterns can and do occur throughout a tourney. That being said, I think it's safe to say a lot have players have been where you were there...forget it and then keep plugging along would be how I would move forward.

Last edited:
B

barags

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happened to me today. I had a pair of aces in the hole and I flopped a set. But also a king and queen - all three spades. I wanted so bad to go all in but I knew trouble lie ahead. I called a small bet. Then came a jack of spades so I knew someone had to be holding a flush. They went all in. Heartbreak! I folded and wouldn't you know it, it ended with a royal flush. :sigh:

This wasn't the first time I folded strong hole cards but it has been rare that I folded a reasonably strong flop. I have never been sorry I folded when all was said and done.

So there you have it. Can you save yourself from yourself when you need to?

I would always consider folding with all premium hands on such a wet board, especially if there is more than 1 player with me on the flop and they raise.

KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold too. After all, someone really could have a flush. Maybe even a royal flush. So you did everything right.

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After you played PLO and come back to play NLH, folding Aces are easy.
Also, don't Rabbit hunt after you lay down a hand. It will tilt you even further and affect your entire session.

C

Chel_nv

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it is always difficult to throw out pocket rockets, but I still try to evaluate my hand reasonably, when I see a dry Board on the flop and turn and river, I learn to throw it off, so as not to lose my stack and stay in the tournament.

P

ProfessorGrind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't consider them unbeatable, they are a hand like any other - to be evaluated with more information and cards to come. The benefit is you start with the best chance to win, but don't get married to the cards if you are beat.

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The turn card allows you to make an easy fold. That's not a tough fold to make. The tough fold is to make it on the flop, if someone shoves..

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I may fold those if the table speaks a different tune, such as two kings, and a player goes all in.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only tossed a pair of aces in a satellite tournament when my stack was big enough to have a tournament ticket.
Other times, especially preflop, it makes no sense to throw away the Aces, I think.

TommyT

TommyT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have to be folding it aswell, painful as it maybe but you no when your beat

Patoamz95

Patoamz95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You were very lucky to say it in some way, I would honestly have thrown myself away since the chances that another has color or a better like were higher than yours but hey

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket AAs fold mainly in trading with a large number of players who entered the bank, so as not to lose their entire stack to marginal hands. Players whose pocket aces are not a priority during the tournament will reach the final table. I agree that it is difficult to drop missiles thinking that you are catching your luck! )))

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happened to me today. I had a pair of aces in the hole and I flopped a set. But also a king and queen - all three spades. I wanted so bad to go all in but I knew trouble lie ahead. I called a small bet. Then came a jack of spades so I knew someone had to be holding a flush. They went all in. Heartbreak! I folded and wouldn't you know it, it ended with a royal flush. :sigh:

This wasn't the first time I folded strong hole cards but it has been rare that I folded a reasonably strong flop. I have never been sorry I folded when all was said and done.

So there you have it. Can you save yourself from yourself when you need to?

Very disciplined fold, but I quoted a response below which makes me want to ask you what your action was preflop? Did you limp? Did you raise/3 bet?

bet big on the flop, snap call a jam. you have trip aces on an a-k-q board, what are you afraid of?

i really dislike your call on the flop because you convinced yourself you were behind or you're going to behind on a later street, and you allowed yourself to play super passively to give your big hand 'protection'. but it doesn't need it. it's such a strong hand you're getting paid off on so many times, you want to get your money in. in fact, you'd rather get your money in on the flop (if you can) because you guarantee you see the turn and river and you avoid putting yourself in awkward spots where you can get bluffed on a scary turn or river.

now, am i saying the turn fold to a jam is a bad fold? no, it's not. it's probably a great fold because you're likely way behind at that point. that's not the issue. the issue is, you put yourself into such an ugly spot that you're forced to make the fold. when you have a monster of a hand, you want to avoid weird spots where you're forced to check/fold or it's going to kill your action. by betting big, you know you're getting called by so many broadway combinations and you know, if your opponent has any strong hands+draws, they're calling or even jamming it in. and that's what you want, to set yourself up to stack off your opponent with a big hand.

Your "set" of Aces (not trips) is ahead the vast majority of the time, and I agree with ohshoot that you want to build a big pot and get paid off. Does it always work? No, of course not, there will be times where you go bust, which would have happened here, but I agree that while it was a disciplined fold, your play backed you into this corner in the first place. It's about applying pressure to your opponents, the kind of pressure that will force them to put their chips in bad. In the long run, you get paid off SO WELL by doing this.

Yep...if you limp and allow mutiple opponents in then you might as well abandon ship. Should you face a large bet or reraise. You're most like looking at two pairs or better. Sorry it happens...

Limping Aces pre is asking to get yourself felted. Are there times where sneaking in a limp is acceptable? Depending on the table/specific opponent dynamic, of course. But I see people DESPERATELY trying to set traps (it's actually quite obvious when they are doing it), that they will end up either losing value or trapping themselves.

I never folds hands like Aces and Kings.

It's a stupidity.

If you're playing a satellite tournament where the prize is equal to all winners and you're on the bubble and you are in the middle of the pack, you're telling me you're going to play Aces instead of taking the guaranteed prize? To quote you "It's a stupidity". :D

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
b0ee05c2315a5035.jpg

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your "set" of Aces (not trips) is ahead the vast majority of the time, and I agree with ohshoot that you want to build a big pot and get paid off. Does it always work? No, of course not, there will be times where you go bust, which would have happened here, but I agree that while it was a disciplined fold, your play backed you into this corner in the first place. It's about applying pressure to your opponents, the kind of pressure that will force them to put their chips in bad. In the long run, you get paid off SO WELL by doing this.
oh, gosh darn it! such a silly mistake, but i'm glad someone caught it.

i'm also glad someone agrees with me on this as well. i was starting to second guess my response since everyone was agreeing with and/or complimenting op's play.

sequoia

sequoia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop i never fold, postflop - rarely. Depends on board etc.

T_Dawg

T_Dawg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very disciplined fold, but I quoted a response below which makes me want to ask you what your action was preflop? Did you limp? Did you raise/3 bet?

Limping Aces pre is asking to get yourself felted. Are there times where sneaking in a limp is acceptable? Depending on the table/specific opponent dynamic, of course. But I see people DESPERATELY trying to set traps (it's actually quite obvious when they are doing it), that they will end up either losing value or trapping themselves.

If you're playing a satellite tournament where the prize is equal to all winners and you're on the bubble and you are in the middle of the pack, you're telling me you're going to play Aces instead of taking the guaranteed prize? To quote you "It's a stupidity". :D
Very good advice.

It's so against my nature to take big risks but I'll have to work on it. Thanks.

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I very rarely fold really strong cards.Although I see that I will lose.I keep hoping for a miracle.And half the time, a miracle happens.But what emotions.I usually break a very good Bank.Or lose everything.Contrary to reason

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
oh, gosh darn it! such a silly mistake, but i'm glad someone caught it.

i'm also glad someone agrees with me on this as well. i was starting to second guess my response since everyone was agreeing with and/or complimenting op's play.

Well, this is one of those where I think you can be both complimentary of the fold, but at the same time, remember to ask how you put yourself into that position to begin with and be critical of the play. Ask yourself "What could I have done differently in this hand"? Forget the results, because they are what they are, but we can always improve how we play in tougher spots, not just this one necessarily.

OP didn't mention if they limped or raised pre. So, we are dealing with some missing details here that may influence our responses too.

Folding in Poker