Are you better playing against good or bad players???

S

sharpone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good

You cant play against bad players everything is left to chance with them and online chance favors the bad players. Thats why i can believe its rigged because it dosent make sense what happens all the time.

Jungl3 Jim

Jungl3 Jim

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i much prefer playing against ppl better than myself.
If you don't, how the hell could u get better yourself.
plus the obvious frustration off numb nut donks taking a large pot holding the 72off.
Everyone needs a level to aspire to.
i'm aiming for Daniel Negreanu
:D

W

WCFields

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would much rather play a tourney with the 500 best MTT players in the world. I wouldn't get sucked out on as much and I actually might have a shot to win.

I liken that to my Tiger Woods theory that Tiger prolly could have won the Masters at 15 or 16. Even though he dominated his peers the level of difficulty never allowed him to really strut his stuff.

Poker is patience. It's my view that the better the players in the game the more your patience pays off. Because the good players have little info to read your play.

Just as important or even more important is an appropriate bankroll.

dweezel

dweezel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing against better players gives you a better learning experience.
That being said, playing against worse players is where you make your money. I'll take the money.
I've built 2 bankrolls from scratch online and now I'm starting to build one live
from 300 bucks that was owed to me from a friend.
Believe me, I don't want to be running into any sharks with one buy-in, playing
1-2 NL. I'm looking for the most fish I can find in AC. So far its been pretty easy. Bring me fish any day..... I'll deal with the sharks later.

A

a8ballor9

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree,the bad players suck and suck out a lot and end up donking the chip you had away.I am in a tournament late in the game and have AK suited first position raises and I rerais,he goes allin with A6 off suit cant understand why? I can see raising and trying to steal the pot but when you are reraised you gotta figure you are at least out kicked but the donk hit his 6 and cripples me.I would think a good player would not play or lay that hand down later in the game

T

TheDude

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the rare night when my post-flop hands are holding up to the chase donkeys, it's great and how can you not milk a couple to pad your bank.

But for the most part I'd rather be sitting with strong players.

aLoser4evR

aLoser4evR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd rather play a good player and lose because they play the cards and their opponents. Unlike those donks who constantly power bet and fish with nothing. If I want to play lotto i'll hit a freebie table and go all in blind.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your interesting comments. My opinion is, after playing for 3+ years now, I would love to play donks any day for this reason...

as `a8ballor9`says I agree,the bad players suck and suck out a lot and end up donking the chip you had away.I am in a tournament late in the game and have AK suited first position raises and I rerais,he goes allin with A6 off suit cant understand why? I can see raising and trying to steal the pot but when you are reraised you gotta figure you are at least out kicked but the donk hit his 6 and cripples me.I would think a good player would not play or lay that hand down later in the game

Give me a 3:1 advantage anytime!!!

The biggest poker leason I have been give was here, on this site. One of the guys explained really well why "The outcome of the hand is not important. The important thing is to get your chips in when ahead."

That, IMO, is the basic principle of poker. Everything else is experience.

This is an example - I was almost certain the guy caught the ace...

full tilt poker Game #10874171958: $10 + $1 Tournament (81707045), Table 3 - 250/500 - Pot Limit Omaha H/L - 17:33:24 ET - 2009/02/27
Seat 1: Ronaldadio (7,112)
Seat 2: pure50player (10,544)
Seat 3: COUNT TRON (42,425)
Seat 4: OLLIE ALI (17,547)
Seat 5: akristjan (9,832)
Seat 6: KaiserWilhelm3 (3,701)
pure50player posts the small blind of 250
COUNT TRON posts the big blind of 500
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Ronaldadio [Jd Kh Kc Jh]
OLLIE ALI folds
akristjan folds
KaiserWilhelm3 folds
Ronaldadio raises to 1,750
pure50player calls 1,500
COUNT TRON folds
*** FLOP *** [Ac Ks Ah]
pure50player checks
Ronaldadio has 15 seconds left to act
Ronaldadio bets 2,000
pure50player raises to 4,000
Ronaldadio raises to 5,362, and is all in
pure50player calls 1,362
Ronaldadio shows [Jd Kh Kc Jh] I`m about a 60% fav so I have done a good job.
pure50player shows [As 3s 4d 6c]
*** TURN *** [Ac Ks Ah] [Ad] I now have no outs :D but I got my chips in good.
*** RIVER *** [Ac Ks Ah Ad] [3d]
Ronaldadio shows a full house, Aces full of Kings, for high
pure50player shows four of a kind, Aces, for high
pure50player wins the pot (14,724) with four of a kind, Aces
Ronaldadio stands up
pure50player stands up
COUNT TRON stands up
OLLIE ALI stands up
akristjan stands up
KaiserWilhelm3 stands up
No low hand qualified
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 14,724 | Rake 0
Board: [Ac Ks Ah Ad 3d]
Seat 1: Ronaldadio (button) showed [Jd Kh Kc Jh] and lost with HI: a full house, Aces full of Kings
Seat 2: pure50player (small blind) showed [As 3s 4d 6c] and won (14,724) with HI: four of a kind, Aces
Seat 3: COUNT TRON (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 4: OLLIE ALI didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: akristjan didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: KaiserWilhelm3 didn't bet (folded)

A

Aaronftw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For myself personally, loose bad players are hard to read, and some although bad can still end up playing a good hand in a bad way. You have to play mainly your cards when against these people and get your money in good and pray they dont suck out. 'Donks' as such throw my game into chaos, something i shouldnt let happen i find myself lowering my range quite a bit, when i should i be doing the opposite. If i know im playing for big money or with great players, i play at my best, focus more, and play some of my best poker. 'Donks' are good to make money from, great players are good to play GOOD poker against.

G

Gribbley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At a cash table I'd like to play against 8 horrible players. In a tournament I'd probably also prefer to play against 8 horrible players... It'd help if they would all announce (in some trustworthy way) that they were all horrible so I would know what bets to respect.

S

spacemiu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd rather play a good player and lose because they play the cards and their opponents. Unlike those donks who constantly power bet and fish with nothing. If I want to play lotto i'll hit a freebie table and go all in blind.

ditto to this.

Also in a 6-max cash game, one aggro donk to your right, one good opponent to his right, 2 fish in the middle, and 1 nit to your left is the perfect combination of all.

in hu tho, you want an aggro donk for sure!... mmm yummy.

W

wendysman88

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only bad thing about going against 8 fish in a tournament or a cash game is an all-in. They do not care whether or not they lose their money and therefore go all-in with terrible hands. It has been my experience that the lower the limit the more donks and fish are in the mix. If I were you, of course, play premium hands against these fish but they are still going to suck out on you at some rate.

T

thetrimguy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like a daft question, but it was prompted by this answer to a post

I think I am correct thinking that if u play in any poker game where u r `sucked out` on a regular basis, the idea would be to tighten up and play strong cards.

I would also guess that u will lose lots of hands when u r a big fav, but win some massive pots when u get your chips in good.

I do think, however, that loose/ fishy players r harder to contend with in MTT because of `when` the fish catch. Nothing worse than playing a great game, making zero mistakes and your set of aces on the flop being taken out by runner runner 8 high flush!!!

I apsolutely agree I am also a big player of pokerstars and i play much different on there than any other site the fishies come there because it is the site that everyone knows and is the first site they try and like he said if you in a fishy environment then you should definitely tighten up and play smarter

DonkeySmash

DonkeySmash

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is gonna sound odd but I do better against better players. Everytime I get to a new table in $26 buyin Tourney or more I look the players up on OPR if they are solid stats and TAG after about 15mins of playin with them. I just startin raising them like crazy they all play the same. Tag until the antes and than they steal they dont even notice and they are suppose to be good..YEAH OK

DonkeySmash:deal:

Nickmond

Nickmond

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often find that when I'm playing bad players, I get frustrated more quickly if things don't go my way. With better plauers, I find it easier to be patient and stay calm, cause I know if I lose there is no shame in it.

G

glworden

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to agree that this is not a good question. The whole idea of poker is that over time the better players will win. But you have to consider variability, the luck factor that lets a weaker player win a variable percantage of chips. Different games have different levels of variation, and so do different stakes. No-limit Hold 'Em has a higher variation than limit Hold 'Em, because a bad player can make up for alot of bad play with one lucky hand. Similarly, pot-limit has a higher variation than fixed-limit. Omaha Hi-Lo probably has the least variation of any game because it is the most complex. Lower stakes games have higher variation, because people are more willing to chase. Early levels of tournaments have a high variation because many people are playing "Chip up early or go home." Late levels of tournaments have a low variation because the Ladder Principle makes people play tight.

So it's not really good players versus bad players that are causing this "Bad Beat Syndrome"; rather it is high variation versus low variation. When you play high variation games for high variation stakes, you are going to eat some bad beats.

What is the difference between variation and variance?
I agree on the Omaha Hi/Lo. I like it because I feel more in control without the wild fluctuations.

K

kill n laugh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for be i generally do a lot better against good players, mainly because bad players can never fold and for some odd reason even when i get in with the best hand the bad players run the cards.

I

ihavea4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i love the fact that people hate playing with fish so much. it really makes me laugh. i agree that it can be more fun and rewarding to play with people better than you, but it's very difficult to win money against them, and generally, that makes you the fish in that situation. obviously suckouts will happen against n00bs, but in general your good hands will hold up a higher percentage of the time, and you will win big. it just takes time.