well done

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many tables do you play usually?

From his fpp estimates (2.3fpp/hand, 1000fpp/hour), that's about 400 hands per hour, which probably means 6 tables, right?

I guess his BB/100 must be truely impressive, and so he has a high $/hour even though he plays a relatively low number of tables compared to you, Zach.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome graph - why do you think reaching Supernova is more worthy of a brag thread than winning $10K in one month????

How many sites are included in the graph? I assume party poker is.

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From his fpp estimates (2.3fpp/hand, 1000fpp/hour), that's about 400 hands per hour, which probably means 6 tables, right?
That's right, I always have 6 tables open. It's the perfect amount for me because I have enough time to make tough decisions and I can play them without overlap.

Awesome graph - why do you think reaching Supernova is more worthy of a brag thread than winning $10K in one month????

How many sites are included in the graph? I assume Party Poker is.
I don't know, just felt nice to see that Supernova message pop up I guess :)
The graph contains about $1400 of partypoker, everything else is pokerstars.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's right, I always have 6 tables open. It's the perfect amount for me because I have enough time to make tough decisions and I can play them without overlap.

And you still managed to play close to 70k hands in 30 days? That means 4 or 5 hours / day, right? Quite a grind.

What BB/100 did you achieve at each level? Must have been pretty high to allow you to move up so fast.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's right, I always have 6 tables open. It's the perfect amount for me

BTW, Zach and other heavy multitablers, do you have solid evidence that your $$/hour is higher 24 tabling than it would be 6 tabling with a higher BB/100 ?

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's the story re the last 1,000 hands Chris? Down 2K, up 2K, down 2K?

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And you still managed to play close to 70k hands in 30 days? That means 4 or 5 hours / day, right? Quite a grind.

What BB/100 did you achieve at each level? Must have been pretty high to allow you to move up so fast.

Note that my stats for the Partypoker levels are vastly different (e.g. Went To Showdown) because I shortstacked Partypoker.
Also, I made a first shot at 400NL once I had 15 buy-ins and immediately ran good, so I stayed.

What's the story re the last 1,000 hands Chris? Down 2K, up 2K, down 2K?
Well, standard hands for the most part :D

Poker Stars, $3/$6 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com Hand History Converter

BTN: $528
Hero (SB): $603
BB: $903
UTG: $550.95
MP: $339.40
CO: $792.45

Pre-Flop: Qs Qd dealt to Hero (SB)
UTG calls $6, MP raises to $18, CO calls $18, BTN folds, Hero raises to $82, BB folds, UTG calls $76, MP folds, CO raises to $792.45 and is All-In, Hero calls $521 and is All-In, UTG calls $468.95 and is All-In

Flop: ($1,780.95) 7s 8d Th (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

Turn: ($1,780.95) Jh (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($1,780.95) Kh (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $1,780.95 Pot ($3 Rake)
Hero showed Qs Qd (a pair of Queens) and LOST (-$603 NET)
UTG mucked Ad Kc and LOST (-$550.95 NET)
CO showed Ts Tc (three of a kind, Tens) and WON $1,777.95 (+$1,174.95 NET)

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW, Zach and other heavy multitablers, do you have solid evidence that your $$/hour is higher 24 tabling than it would be 6 tabling with a higher BB/100 ?

Well I only 18-table, but especially if you include fpps (since I don't think I could make platinum 6-tabling 100nl) then yes.

Although when I went up to 200nl I 6-tabled and ended up losing. I'm sure if I end up moving up to the levels Chris is at I'll have to reduce the number of tables. It's just that up to 100nl there's really nothing to be gained by taking anything but the standard line, as there aren't too many good regs who will adjust and such.

But at 18 tables I was beating 50nl for 3 PTBB/100 and 100nl for 2. I doubt I could do 3 times that at 6 tables let alone make up for not getting the fpps.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But at 18 tables I was beating 50nl for 3 PTBB/100 and 100nl for 2. I doubt I could do 3 times that at 6 tables let alone make up for not getting the fpps.

Well, Chris_TC beats 400NL for 7 BB/100...

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't get fooled by this small sample! There's only a very small chance that I could sustain this winrate.
I believe I've worked on my game enough that I can do around 3.5 ptbb long-term but we'll see about that.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chis, do you make your living playing poker or are you planning / hoping to?

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well for that he is probably a better player than me. Also as mentioned I don't think 7 is really sustainable.

Also note that this is 6max that Chris is playing and that action goes much faster, while I play FR. Not sure on the difference since I don't play 6max but I can guarantee you I can't 18-table 6max. Also I believe that as you go higher up the aggression required goes up. When the biggest mistake your opponents make is calling too much, the goal is to make a big hand and stack it. I can do that a lot easier than having to make a ton of moves and re-steals and such that I'm sure happen a lot more at the upper levels. For example Chris posted a "standard" hand where QQ lost stacking preflop. At 100nl that's almost always (99% of the time) AA/KK that's stacking, once in a while AK, so pretty much -ev to stack QQ preflop at 100nl imo. 200nl I was starting to see a lot more moves that may have made stacking QQ profitable and I've heard 400nl is the biggest jump. So at the limits he's playing, as well as the fact that it's 6max, he probably has a lot more decisions to make in the same amount of time. As I mentioned, I wasn't 18-tabling 200nl when I moved up and I'll almost definitely cut down if I do ever get up to 400nl. But at the micros when the goal is build big pots with big hands and don't bluff much (only real bluffing pattern required is just the cbet), I don't think 18-tabling is having a huge effect on my winrate.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chris posted a "standard" hand where QQ lost stacking preflop. At 100nl that's almost always (99% of the time) AA/KK that's stacking, once in a while AK, so pretty much -ev to stack QQ preflop at 100nl imo. 200nl I was starting to see a lot more moves that may have made stacking QQ profitable and I've heard 400nl is the biggest jump.

Case and point...

Here's a hand I saw awhile back:
PokerStars Game #12043837537: Hold'em No Limit ($100/$200) - 2007/09/13 - 21:47:11 (ET)
Table 'Subra' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: $tinger 88 ($20000 in chips)
Seat 3: KidPoker ($35182 in chips)
Seat 5: Empire2000 ($22564 in chips)
Seat 7: p3achy_keen ($32970 in chips)
Seat 9: ADZ124 ($22100 in chips)
Empire2000: posts small blind $100
p3achy_keen: posts big blind $200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
ADZ124: folds
$tinger 88: raises $400 to $600
KidPoker: raises $1400 to $2000
Empire2000: raises $4400 to $6400
p3achy_keen: folds
$tinger 88: raises $13600 to $20000 and is all-in
1.jpg

KidPoker said, "??????????????"
KidPoker: folds
Empire2000: calls $13600
*** FLOP *** [Ah 2s 4d]
*** TURN *** [Ah 2s 4d] [As]
*** RIVER *** [Ah 2s 4d As] [2c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
2.jpg

Empire2000: shows [Jc Jh] (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
$tinger 88: shows [Qh Qc] (two pair, Aces and Queens)
$tinger 88 collected $42195 from pot

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chis, do you make your living playing poker or are you planning / hoping to?
The plan is to accumulate as much money as possible. I would never want to play poker for the rest of my life. But if you can make like a cool million you're pretty much set. You can make investments and not have to worry about a thing.
The games get harder every year, so I really think you have to take your chances right now.

I pretty much agree with what Zach said. 100NL is pretty straightforward, i.e. your opponents don't put a lot of moves on you, so you can certainly play a large number of tables and use standard lines most of the time.
You don't need to worry about balancing your range either because there are so many tables running that you'll be facing different opponents all the time. And they won't know how you play.

There are some 400NL regulars who play 10-12 tables of 6-max, and a handful are really, really good. I couldn't handle this many tables but if you're totally badass it's possible.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess what I'm asking is, is poker your only job at the moment or do you have a day job? I couldn't imagine playing 4 hours/day after work.

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, I see. I'm a student with lots of free time :)

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The plan is to accumulate as much money as possible. I would never want to play poker for the rest of my life. But if you can make like a cool million you're pretty much set. You can make investments and not have to worry about a thing.

Does this assume a regular job as well? Or do you mean literally if you had a net worth of over a million dollars at say age 25 you think you would just retire and live off investments?

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nah, I don't think I'd have a day job then. Everything I'd do would be for fun. I would maybe start a small company or something if I felt like it.
I don't know, it's not really something I've thought a ton about because: I don't have a million :D ..................... yet :D

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nah, I don't think I'd have a day job then. Everything I'd do would be for fun. I would maybe start a small company or something if I felt like it.
I don't know, it's not really something I've thought a ton about because: I don't have a million :D ..................... yet :D

I'm just saying that I don't think a million would be enough to live on your entire life. Granted you could get a more enjoyable job that pays less because of the extra money and "income" the interest generates, I just think it'd be tough to retire and not work your entire life with only a million.