Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Matthew 6:6 "But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you."

/for the record, I have nothing against Christianity but I have plenty against most of it's "participants"
That's a very good point, regarding your scripture quote. As for that last statement, you're basing your opinion on the actions of a few (comparatively speaking) zealots who give other Christians a bad name. I am not at all "religious" in the fact that I don't go to church every Sunday. I do find that the hypocrisy that ensues is a bit disgusting.

As for poker/gambling being a sin, someone please show me where this is written. (No really, I have no idea if it is or isn't. I somehow doubt it though.)

JQ - Perhaps if you pray hard enough they may show it on tv again for you :D
Maybe I should cover all the bases...where should I start? :p

Snowman1964

Snowman1964

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On a slight tangent...

Q. How do you seperate the men from the boys at a bishops convention?
A. With a crowbar.

Might be in trouble for this one.

Snowman

SubT33

SubT33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is fair enough, well-put, and should have been in the OP instead of the freaking freakers, ninnys, and sarcastic mother in law stuff imo. :)

Yeah, I was kind of heated when I first posted, sorry if it came of too strong. And thanks for challenging me to clarify my thoughts.

ps - I love saying "freaking freakers"

Snowman1964

Snowman1964

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At this years wsop I want to see Phil Hemuth pray to the Jedi knights...or maybe Jamie Gold could have a quick request: may the farce be with him.

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, hopefully wothout intending to, that posters in this thread are arguing at cross purposes. I don't care a fig for how "religious" people view any of this. I'm a PK, grew up in churches, and wanna hear my take? Tuff, you're gonna anyway. ORGANIZED RELIGION, WHATEVER DENOMINATION, IS BUNK! Those who proclaim their piety the loudest are the biggest hypocrites of all. Churches are 1.) social gatherings (good thing) and 2.) crutches for people too wishy washy and weak minded to form and foster their own beliefs and convictions.:eek: Why should we mind that J Yang and Lee Watkinsons mom pray to God for the nuts? You think God cares? Unless he had a props bet on either one or the other, I'd be very surprised.

So religions are anti-gambling, eh? I feel sure that some of you at least are Catholic. Your parish never has Bingo night? For that matter, seems to me the whole idea of praying and paying you or your loved ones out of Purgatory is nothing but a shell game or a crapshoot.

I judge a persons "Christianity" by their deeds and actions, not by who professes theirChristianity the loudest. "Blessed are the meek". " About time they got something, 'cause they have a helluxa time"*

Jerry Yang pledged 10% of his winnings to charity. Coincidently, that is a traditional "tithe" in many religions. By my lights, and though he'd probably deny it, Barry Greernstein is the most "Christian" of them all, and don't even THINK of making Antisemitic slurs.

My.02, now I'll don my flame retardent suit, and y'all can have at me.

*somewhat paraphrased from Life of Brian.;)

JRaD

JRaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off Jerry Yang is an idiot, just felt like saying that... secondly, I believe and respect in religion and anyone that has their own I think that's awesome but keep it to yourself, I mean Jesus did say to go out speak his word but honestly if you are to a certain age you are going to have the message in your head about whats going on and whatever religion you choose is pretty much laid out for you by your family either way. I think that Jerry Yang is an idiot for the mere spite that I have never seen him place in anything or do anything other then that, don't get me wrong I haven't had that much money before so... 1-0 Jerry Yang on me, but it doesn't mean that he's not an idiot...

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My view is that their prayers are fine if that's what they believe. The producers of the show are the ones to blame for showing it. They should have kept the cameras on the people or the cards & not shown the families of the participants. I thoroughly agree with someone who said it was far better than showing donkeykong jump around like a monkey or having a db like Gold win it.

I think this hits the nail on the head. The producers of the show keep showing the antics of a few loud mouths like Kahn and umberto and others at the expense of good poker for the sake of ratings. More and more people will start acting like idiots to get TV time while a quiet solid poker player will be ignored no mater how well they are playing/doing. The whole way the broadcast is focused is sickening to me.

As for Yang, I found his praying the way he was bothersome. I didn't know exactly why until now. He was not just praying for something good for himself but for something bad (losing the hand or busting out) to hapoen to someone else. Praying for your good fortune at the expense of someone else is I believe totally wrong and certainly not in the sprit of Christianity. It's why I don't like all the antics by some when someone wins a big pot or busts someone out. To me it's rubbing it in and the player that lost feels bad enough without the winner rubbing it in his face which is what excesive celebration is. Show some class and shut up.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
(Tongue in cheek) Maybe we are all doing it wrong. Maybe Jerry Yang's win goes to show that none of us have been praying loud enough at the poker table. Maybe we should all start doing that. Could you imagine all 10 people at a poker table all praying loudly at the same time during an all-in showdown? "Please God Almighty, NO Aces! Give my Kings your strength, oh Lord!" "Please God above, I need a Jack or a Ten!!" "One more Club, one more Club. Please Lord, one more Club!!"

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the people who though Jamie Gold can't get worse: ha!

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What...what..? Poker is GAMBLING..??

is NOT !! It's strictly a game of skill and you are paid accordingly. We ALL know that. Ask ANY Poker God, he'll tell ya.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well honestly,u could not get a bigger amateur to win the tourny, he made a lot of mistakes and got extremely lucky
he should have been out in 9th but lee childs put him on too big a hand

Snowman1964

Snowman1964

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very true pantin. I only wish I was that lucky.
If I fell in a bucket of tits I'd come out sucking my thumb.

Snowman

SubT33

SubT33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I fell in a bucket of tits I'd come out sucking my thumb.

Snowman

A SnG at Absolute Poker: $10 + $1

Harrington on Hold'em vol.III- The Workbook: $23.48

This quote by Snowman: Priceless

Qwikls1

Qwikls1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it sorta laughable that this clown thinks that God (if there is one) cares about whether or not he wins a card game.

:lol:

S

singate

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MY problem with the whole praying thing is that everyone at that final table was going away with a nice paycheck so praying that you walk away with even more comes off as both greedy and crass. On a related note everytime I hear some athlete thank the lord for their success I try to hit the mute button. As George Carlin said "Did Jesus make the other team fumble the ball?"

riffpoker

riffpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I figure God is very much like online poker sites when it comes to chips in the pot.........THEY DON'T CARE 1 WAY OR THE OTHER WHO TAKES DOWN THAT POT!!!!!!!!!

C

CromMitra

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me between Yang's constant prayer and Khan's acting like an idiot i couldn't even watch the main event final table .

P

Playmaker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yang was pulling so Many Cards out of His Ass I started to believe that there was some kind of Higher Power involved

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
God is a superuser account, but he has extra benefits. Like he can control LIVE and online poker!

Intense.

WSOP