WSOP player Loses chips to someone NOT in the WSOP event?

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This Dusty Schmidt that never posts except in his same thread...the absurd story that he described...and his friend whose name is john McClain.
The whole article could be a bogus. A fabricated story with a secret reward set for the first member of cardschat that finds out the truth.

Good lord, ask before you make an idiot of yourself. Dusty/Leatherass is a known and proven pro quantity (at poker stars now, btw). There is a reason he doesn't contribute to each & every thread.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This Dusty Schmidt that never posts except in his same thread...the absurd story that he described...and his friend whose name is john McClain.
The whole article could be a bogus. A fabricated story with a secret reward set for the first member of cardschat that finds out the truth.

Needless to say, I did not risk ruining my reputation in the poker community by fabricating some story about my friend in a wsop event. That probably wouldn't be what I would call a + EV decision.

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me a pretty easy call. The tourney organizers should have offered to pay back his buy-in, in which case he's out of the tourney, or let him continue with the chips he has. Isn't that a "good faith" compromise in lieu of a crappy situation?

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
/facepalm...^^

Like you said Dusty, this is absolutely absurd! Regardless of the impracticalities of dealing with this situation properly, the floor should have made things right for John (and indeed the rest of the table) through whatever means necessary. I am very disappointed to see that they took the easy (and if you ask me, lazy) way out. "Sorry dude, you're SOL" I can't imagine how John (and you!) must be feeling right now! I would be so absolutely livid, they would give me my buy-in back just to get rid of me. At the very least, as it stands now, I think they should pay his way into any other $1500 event of his choice.

Wow. Honestly, I am truly flabbergasted at this one! I hope they pull their collective head out of their asses and make this right for you guys.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the floor should have just ruled that the guy who played in the wrong event had to stay. He still got a $1500 buy in a WSOP event and since it was his fault (and the dealer) he should have been compelled to play or forfeit his entry in the Shootout. Then the chips "lost in good faith" still would have been lost to a person in the tourney.

And while this is one crazy story, mistakes happen all the time in poker. I'm sure both Dusty and his friend will recover from this "bad beat". At least it wasn't a $5K or $10K buy in.

Pbland

Pbland

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand why when the house makes a mistake that the player has to pay. It might be impossible to undo all the hands this guy had played in, but for John to basically get bounced from the tourney doesn't seem fair.

D_russo88

D_russo88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats BS!!!!!! I can't believe that. That guy should get his chips back!

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How does this happen?? I've never played in the WSOP but isn't there ANYONE checking this kind of stuff at the door? So really I could just walk in off the street and sit down? Maybe if he kept his mouth shut he'd cash? Then what do they do?

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
How does this happen?? I've never played in the WSOP but isn't there ANYONE checking this kind of stuff at the door? So really I could just walk in off the street and sit down? Maybe if he kept his mouth shut he'd cash? Then what do they do?
No, he had an ID card, and a receipt. The dealer just did not look them over closely enough. If he would have, then he would have seen that the guy was at the wrong tournament, and avoided this debaucle altogether.

ander

ander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A situation will happen for everything sooner or later, even though is so incredible

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

When you register for a WSOP event, they give you two cards at the cashiers cage. One for you and one for the dealer. It has your name, how you payed for the event (Cash, Buy In Chips, Wire Transfer, etc.), Event #, Date and Time, Table Number, and Seat Number.

There are two rooms at the Rio, the Pavillion and the Amazon and each has different color areas. Above each table hangs the card for the table. So you have Pavillion Yellow and Pavillion White or Amazon Orange or Amazone Blue.

When you sit down at the table, you hand the dealer the dealer card and your ID. They are responsible for looking it over.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm fully convinced that there is a massive shortage of common sense in the world these days. In this case, an employee who was being paid to do a certain job failed at that job. Declare the hand dead and check the cameras and return the chips. Seems like a fairly straightforward case to me.

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just check the hand histories and roll everything back accordingly!

What, they don't have that in live play? =( Darn real life. It's so inconvenient.

Misofer

Misofer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, that's so sick. I strongly believe that they should return the chips to the owner, we can all make mistakes, but losing a considerable amount of chips to a guy who's not suppose to be playing on that table on the first place is stupid. Good faith... yeah right.

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wow that's proper shoddy m8. The top dogs of WSOP should say sorry to ur friend and let him have a free event of the same vaule for this year's series or 2011's.

All you can do is keep on sending e-mails/letters and phone calls to there office.

WSOP Poker Chips - History of Chips