WSOP main event - Phil Ivey

B

Big Maverick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I know why Phil Ivey doesn't like being featured and I am suprised it hasn't been said in this thread yet. Maybe he doesn't want his style of play being shown. Seeing how he plays, what cards he has, and what he does with them can give others a notorious advantage. And instead of being in it for all of the corporate sponsorships like most people are, Phil is doing it for the love and sake of the game of Poker.

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A recent episode of the wsop main event Phil Ivey is at the feature table! WOOHOO!! It was a great episode and u got to see Ivey take half of one guys stack. He raised on the button with 78o. He hits trips on the flop, makes a full house by the turn then makes quads on the river and he doesnt even flinch. OMG he kicks ass. N he goin paid from 22 aswell!! Such a wkd play.
But to see a lil bit of Ivey away from the final table has made me happy. We all love Ivey and hope that he takes down this main event!!! Plus i've herd Full Tilt have dangled a $10mil offer infront of him if he wins this ME. Bloody hell. thats $18.5mill and a shiny bracelet!!!! Man im so jealious of him right now lol.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ivey is notoriously media shy - actually, maybe shy isn't the right word. But for whatever reason he's certainly happier off the cameras and it's not just when he's had a big night in Bobby's Room.

Seriously, how many interviews do you see with him online or in magazines or on TV? How long are the interviews that do get done? Someone like Hellmuth makes a big song and dance in his entrance to the Main Event. Negreanu and many other players couldn't be happier to get in front of a camera and give their opinion on all sorts of topics. Ivey, on the other hand, sneaks in and out the side door when he comes to play in the WSOP and actively tries to avoid things like getting seated on the feature table.

As for the amounts discussed for Joe Nobody to wear a patch for a major poker site... think of it this way. These sites have oodles of money and $10K to patch a player at the feature table isn't that much, considering that said patch will probably get itself on the screen maybe 20+ times over the course of the episode. That's $500 or less the site is paying per exposure. The WSOP Main Event is probably the highest rating poker program worldwide for the year and it's a perfect fit for their target market.

And that's before we consider the issue of the major sites losing face if their competitor (or worse, one of the second-string upstart sites) starts getting more exposure than them. So it's a defensive thing as well: if you pay $10K to patch a player, that's one more player in front of the camera that's not wearing your opposition's logo.

^^^This. Phil Ivey is an excellent player and most are hoping he crushes at the FT. I would be very surprised though if he did many interviews after it is over. He is very camera shy - I don't think he's being mysterious or rude, he's shy. Oz makes some very valid points for this above.

J

joemac696969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was watching the WSOP last night and they had phil on quite a bit, he is such a cool dude! He is for sure a great poker player, he is so not emotional and you could never get a read or a tell on him. GL

K

KevinLush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean it's not really fair when he get's the hands he was getting,AA,KK,JJ,99,AK,Q9(flops trips) don't have to be a pro to play those hands

When you only see him playing this hands it is because he is playing like a pro. He is not play mediocre hands almost ever. That is part of what it takes to be at his level. He is fold hands that many other people play. When you say he was playing Q9 I am going to guess it was suited and he was in late position and nobody had raised in front of him because that can be a good hand but is not always a great one to play. If it wasn't suited he was small or big blind just playing in.

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The episode which featured Phil Ivey was good to watch but i forgot to put in my last post that it was near the bubble and sum dude folded AKs when Ivey raised in EP or MP w/ 99.
Now common who the hell is gonna fold AKs. It's near the bubble so I would of stood up to Ivey showing that im not scared of this bubble and would of raised all-in (to get max vaule while not caring if i bust out b4 the money) or jus called his raise to try catch a A or K. Such bad play folding AKs jus bcos u wanna make it into the money.
Another dude folded KK aswell near the money. Whats up with these ppl! I would of been happy to play those cards near the money. If u bust out so what. least ur making the correct play to try take a shot to chip up and make more money instead of leaking in to make just over $10k...Idiots...

WSOP