hes just about my favorite player
i love the old timers like TJ and Dolly too, though

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anybody know anything about the last 9? I presume Matasow is a pro (he's been mentioned on here) but what about the other 8?

P

potsplasher

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just gained a lot of respect for Matusow. I still don't like the way he acts at the table, but he redeems himself somewhat in the interviews I have seen with cardplayer.com. He was just talking about how Greg Raymer got knocked out, and how the player that did it had no business staying in that hand. The guy kept trying to bluff Raymer and rivered a straight (or flush) to suck out and eliminate Raymer. The interviewer tried to defend the guy, and Matusow said "How about folding when you don't flop a pair of a draw?" I'm not sure I totally agree with his analysis, maybe I do, but I think it's good that he speaks that way about the game. He clearly thinks the amateurs are taking over the game, and that it isn't a good thing. Understandable for a pro.

He also commented that Ivey shouldn't have been playing huge pots at that stage, a comment that I'm sure Ivey wouldn't appreciate, but...

I still don't know if I want Matusow to win it or not. Guys like him, Arieh, and Hellmuth, act like children sometimes, but it's good that they can leave that at the table too.

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
potsplasher said:
I just gained a lot of respect for Matusow. I still don't like the way he acts at the table, but he redeems himself somewhat in the interviews I have seen with cardplayer.com. He was just talking about how Greg Raymer got knocked out, and how the player that did it had no business staying in that hand. The guy kept trying to bluff Raymer and rivered a straight (or flush) to suck out and eliminate Raymer. The interviewer tried to defend the guy, and Matusow said "How about folding when you don't flop a pair of a draw?" I'm not sure I totally agree with his analysis, maybe I do, but I think it's good that he speaks that way about the game. He clearly thinks the amateurs are taking over the game, and that it isn't a good thing. Understandable for a pro.

He also commented that Ivey shouldn't have been playing huge pots at that stage, a comment that I'm sure Ivey wouldn't appreciate, but...

I still don't know if I want Matusow to win it or not. Guys like him, Arieh, and Hellmuth, act like children sometimes, but it's good that they can leave that at the table too.
I dont suppose that would be the same Matusow that was calling Phill Ivey his idol a few days ago?!

Cant wait for the coverage on TV, though I doubt we will get it here in UK for about another 6 months.

Who knocked Raymer out?

P

potsplasher

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, he did say that. I don't think this last quote refutes that. Basically, he was lamenting the fact that Ivey was out. I think he wanted to go up against him. He said that Ivey didn't really play well that last day, but I don't think he can really know that if he wasn't at his table. Raymer had a good interview as well with the press after his elimination. He was talking about how the tournament is with these huge fields, and that it is extremely difficult for a top pro to make it to the final table. However, he didn't think that changing the format would be an improvement. He doesn't think it is broken.

I like Raymer a lot. He is very intelligent, polite, respectful, and humble. Ivey apparently didn't want to talk to the media after he got eliminated. I saw an interview with him a couple days before that and he clearly really wanted to win this one. I think he is very frustrated with his streak of bad luck in the TV tourneys. I don't think it helps when people constantly talk about him being the best player. I think he will eventually win one, or at least win on the WPT tour.

I think Kanter knocked Raymer out as well as Ivey. The interviewer said that he knocked 6 people out. As for the telecast, it will be on ESPN in October or November I think. Don't you guys in the UK get the same programming?

Last edited:
WSOP